Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card bottleneck question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2012 2:29:06 AM

Hi Im new to tomshareware and sorry if i post this in the wrong section. I just have one question about upgrading a graphics card. I currently have a Hp pavilion p7-1003 and the integrated graphic card is ATI Radeon 4200. My CPU is AMD athlon II X4 650 3.2ghz. I was wonder if the gtx 550i is capable without the cpu being a bottleneck? or is it not enough to get the full potential of the gtx. is there a graphic card enough for this cpu without being a bottleneck? any suggestion would great!. or can i actually upgrade the cpu? cause i bought this comp pre built.
a c 235 U Graphics card
a c 105 à CPUs
June 3, 2012 2:35:39 AM

it all depends on the exact game you are playing. overall the GTX550ti is a fine match for your CPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 2:59:05 AM

I think a 550 Ti would be fine. +1 above. Make sure that your motherboard and PSU can support it, though. What are the models of those?
m
l
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 3:17:56 AM

The CPU Cache will hold you back in some particular games, that's the major differences between Ahtlon II CPUs and Phenom IIs
m
l
June 3, 2012 3:50:54 AM

how can you check your motherboard models? my power supply is 250w, i know i have to get a better power supply...the games il be playing is like sims 3, dead island and mostly online games. no bf3 or cod..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 7:31:28 PM

Yeah, get a Corsair Builder 430W. They're very cheap and quite reliable. The motherboard's model should be printed somewhere on it in lettering slightly more noticeable than the part names.
m
l
!