Solved

HDD/SSD combos for gaming, some ?'s

Over the last few weeks I have asked for help with a build I will be finalizing in the near future. The help has been tremendous. It has also raised a couple questions for me. Keep in mind, I am very new to a lot of this.
1. I have a ten year old computer that I use for browsing and word. I have only used about 100 GB through all that time (no gaming). Will I be fine with a 500GB hard drive @ 7200 rpm? (1TB seems like overkill)
2. I really want an SSD for my OS and maybe 3 games max. How much space does Windows 7 home premium take up, and how much space do games like Arma 2 take up (including save files)?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about combos gaming
  1. Best answer
    1. Yes 500GB should be more than enough, but you should also consider that a TB doesn't cost a whole lot more.

2. Windows 7 can grow between 15-20GB, I don't think Arma takes up more than 10GB. You should be ok with a 64GB ssd, but go bigger if you can.
  2. jake_larkee said:
    1. Yes 500GB should be more than enough, but you should also consider that a TB doesn't cost a whole lot more.

2. Windows 7 can grow between 15-20GB, I don't think Arma takes up more than 10GB. You should be ok with a 64GB ssd, but go bigger if you can.

Thank you. I know it would make things simpler, but would it also be effective to just get a cacheing ssd (maybe 50 or 60 GB) ?
  3. xtjaga3 said:
    Thank you. I know it would make things simpler, but would it also be effective to just get a cacheing ssd (maybe 50 or 60 GB) ?

Sure, go with intel if you can.
  4. jake_larkee said:
    Sure, go with intel if you can.

So if I use the game frequently enough, the cache drive will be just as effective as having the entire game on a ssd?
  5. xtjaga3 said:
    So if I use the game frequently enough, the cache drive will be just as effective as having the entire game on a ssd?

Well even having the entire game on an ssd won't make much of a difference fps wise (maybe 1 or 2), it'll just decrease load times a little.
  6. Best answer selected by xtjaga3.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Hard Drives Systems