Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

HDD/SSD combos for gaming, some ?'s

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 26, 2012 2:48:53 AM

Over the last few weeks I have asked for help with a build I will be finalizing in the near future. The help has been tremendous. It has also raised a couple questions for me. Keep in mind, I am very new to a lot of this.
1. I have a ten year old computer that I use for browsing and word. I have only used about 100 GB through all that time (no gaming). Will I be fine with a 500GB hard drive @ 7200 rpm? (1TB seems like overkill)
2. I really want an SSD for my OS and maybe 3 games max. How much space does Windows 7 home premium take up, and how much space do games like Arma 2 take up (including save files)?

More about : hdd ssd combos gaming

Best solution

July 26, 2012 3:02:54 AM

1. Yes 500GB should be more than enough, but you should also consider that a TB doesn't cost a whole lot more.

2. Windows 7 can grow between 15-20GB, I don't think Arma takes up more than 10GB. You should be ok with a 64GB ssd, but go bigger if you can.
Share
July 26, 2012 3:23:43 AM

jake_larkee said:
1. Yes 500GB should be more than enough, but you should also consider that a TB doesn't cost a whole lot more.

2. Windows 7 can grow between 15-20GB, I don't think Arma takes up more than 10GB. You should be ok with a 64GB ssd, but go bigger if you can.



Thank you. I know it would make things simpler, but would it also be effective to just get a cacheing ssd (maybe 50 or 60 GB) ?
m
0
l
Related resources
July 26, 2012 3:29:35 AM

xtjaga3 said:
Thank you. I know it would make things simpler, but would it also be effective to just get a cacheing ssd (maybe 50 or 60 GB) ?

Sure, go with intel if you can.
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 3:39:44 AM

jake_larkee said:
Sure, go with intel if you can.


So if I use the game frequently enough, the cache drive will be just as effective as having the entire game on a ssd?
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 3:51:59 AM

xtjaga3 said:
So if I use the game frequently enough, the cache drive will be just as effective as having the entire game on a ssd?

Well even having the entire game on an ssd won't make much of a difference fps wise (maybe 1 or 2), it'll just decrease load times a little.
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 11:32:23 PM

Best answer selected by xtjaga3.
m
0
l
!