Sign in with
Your question

USB Expansion Card Question

Last response: in Components
December 7, 2012 5:22:50 PM

I am planning to build a gaming PC/HTPC in either the early or middle part of next year. I plan to add a USB 3.0 expansion card with at least four ports. My question is should I go with PCI Express or PCI Express x1? Thanks
December 7, 2012 5:37:22 PM

Why not just get a motherboard that comes with USB 3.0 ports / a case with front USB 3.0 ports? Makes a lot more sense to me.

If you really need the card, go with PCIe.

That being said, is this going to be a gaming PC or an HTPC? You should make up your mind, because the beasties are very, very different.
m
l
December 7, 2012 9:12:03 PM

I wouldn't say they are very different except in terms of how powerful they are. Any gaming pc can be an htpc.
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2012 11:29:12 PM

This setup is intended to be a cross between a gaming PC and a home theater PC.
m
l
December 8, 2012 1:42:34 AM

as for pcie slots, It depends on how many ports you want to have. The more ports you want the more pcie lanes you'll need. to expect a pcie slot to support the full bandwidth of usb3 you would need 10 lanes per port. 1 pcie v2 lane is 500mb/s and usb3 is 5000mb/s you see. A good coomprimise is a pcie x4 lane card with dual controllers for 4 ports. or a 2 port single lane card with 1 controller.
If you're not planning much really high speed stuff like usb ssd's then a 4 port x1 card might do for you, for slower things like printers, modems, mice, keybds...
m
l
!