steve695

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Hey all.

I am building my first computer soon and I have seen people mention "SLI", what is it?

If it helps I am going to be running an Asus Z68 motherboard with an overclocked i5 2500k and the GPU will most likely be a 670GTX (I want to be able to run BF3 maxed/smoothly).

So what is this SLI business?

G

Scalable Link Interface
Scalable Link Interface (SLI) is a brand name for a multi-GPU solution developed by NVIDIA for linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output. SLI is an application of parallel processing for computer graphics, meant to increase the processing power available for graphics.

click on link to read more . . .

NVIDIA® SLI™ technology is a revolutionary platform innovation that allows you to intelligently scale graphics performance by combining multiple NVIDIA graphics solutions in an SLI-Certified motherboard.However if you buy one GTX670 you'll be able to play BF3 on ultra/max settings hope this answers your question bud

steve695

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Thanks heaps, and frame rates should be smooth with a 2500k and Z68 motherboard?

Also, was it hard for you to over clock your 2500k to 4.8GHZ? Is it Sandy or Ivy?

Will the Motherboard I have chosen allow for such over clocking?

steve695

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Yeah I didn't see this until after I made the thread. The Motherboard I have in my list doesn't allow for SLI anyway but it sounds like I won't need it.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
SLI is Nvidia's term for using more than one graphics processor (GPU) to generate higher framerates on demanding games. It requires multiple GPU's connected together with a special cable. Basically if you wanted to "SLI" that GTX 670 card you would buy two or more of them and connect them to a compatible motherboard, connect the SLI cable(s), then enable SLI mode in the driver. I don't know what the letters SLI stand for.

AMD's version of multiple GPU's is called "Crossfire X" (usually shortened to Crossfire).

Both Nvidia and AMD also usually create a SLI or Crossfire version of their highest end video cards that puts two GPU's on a single card. Nvidia's most recent version of this is their GTX 690 which uses two GTX 680 GPU's on a single card. AMD's most recent Crossfire card is the Radeon HD 6990 which has two Radeon HD 6970 GPU's on a single card.

G

what motherboard?

steve695

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Thanks for this.

Now I'm just in the process of finding a Motherboard that will support SLI.

I mase well, so then if I ever want to buy a second GTX670 when games become more demanding, I will be able to.

I posted on the Motherboard forums and some one has already listed 2 ASRock motherboards that support SLI and are far better than the one I had listed - and they cost the same :)

steve695

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Well it was an Asus Z68 LE but after a thread I just made on the Motherboard forums I have found that I can get an ASRock Z77 that is far better for the same price, with SLI support.

Yeah,frame rates will be fine as for overclocking that's a whole different subject but to answer your question i am using sandy ivy is not for me since i am addicted to overclocking extreme :lol: and no it wasn't hard at all i can go all the way to 5.1ghz but i don't like to because i half to set my v to 1.5 in order to hit that high so i keep it at 4.8GHZ 1.384V 24-7 ;) as for your mobo that isn't the main thing when comes to overclocking your cpu is the most important and everyone is different most i5-2500k can hit 4.5ghz but nothing is for sure

steve695

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Ok cool. I will probably only over clock to 4.5 I don't see any reason to go further and I don't want to strain the cooler Master too much when I get it.

Will an OCZ 750W ATX12V Power Supply be good for an over clocked CPU?

Depends on which one? It should be more than enough as long as the PSU is at least bronze plus rated

As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have a or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you’re aiming for the highest number on the 12V line.Power Supplies that are certified 80 PLUS have been independently tested for their efficiency. Now, there are 4 different 80 PLUS certifications, depending on how efficient the power supply is:

80 PLUS: The power supply is at least 80% efficient at 20%,50% and 100% load
80 PLUS Bronze: The power is at least 82% efficient at 20% and 100% and 85% efficient at 50% load.
80 PLUS Silver: The power is at least 85% efficient at 20% and 100% and 88% efficient at 50% load.
80 PLUS Gold: The power is at least 87% efficient at 20% and 100% and 90% efficient at 50% load.

The 80 PLUS and higher certifications are the way to go when you are looking for an efficient power supply.

Do not trust specifications such as “Efficiency: 80% to 85% Efficiency Typical” that are not 80PLUS certified. 80 PLUS is an independent standard test. No 80 PLUS and “Efficiency: 80% to 85% Efficiency Typical” means that it is 80% to 85% efficient, according to the manufacturer that is, using their own in-house test, which may or may not so much represent real efficiency.Brand name doesn't really matter since almost all have made bad psu at one time or another aside from seasonic imho.Hope this helps bud.