CPU damaged?

I had recently cleaned my CPU of thermal paste because I was installing an H100 cooler and I noticed on the top of the CPU that there are 2 spots that feel like tiny tiny holes the size of the tip of like a paper clip. You could barely notice them but I was wondering if it could become a problem? I always touch the CPU by the edges and I've never touched the top except for cleaning it. I had gotten it about 2 weeks ago. Is it also possible that it could be hardened/dried up thermal paste that is really just stuck and hardened to the CPU from the stock cooler I had on it?
8 answers Last reply
More about damaged
  1. Doubt that they are holes but might be dents with paste in them. Do not think it is anything to worry about if everything was working fine.
  2. probably nothing , old paste should have been dissolved when you cleaned the cpu prior to installing the new water cooler .
  3. Just worried because I had just bought it and I thought it was cracks or something. : /
    I was also told that I should just remove all of the old T.I.M. I don't know how to and it doesn't seem necessary.
  4. Can you post a pic? I never saw a damaged heat spreader like you describe.
  5. you should clean old paste to get a good connection with no air between surfaces . 97% ISOPRopyol alcool , I use Goo Gone then clean that with eye wash with .03% boric acid , not sure others would use my method but it's worked for over 100 cooler install changes . And use a lint free cloth or coffee filters
  6. I can't really take a pic because I'm currently using it and I doubt my camera would pick it up but I haven't had any problems. I actually was just running some stress tests and my temps are fine. Lets just say it looks like a dirt spot and it feels smooth when you slide your finger across it. It's pretty centered and I had noticed it when cleaning it. If I were to slide the tip of my nail across it you would somewhat feel it. Also, I cleaned it with q-tips, rubbing alcohol and coffee filters.
  7. It's just a heat spreader, not the actual processor, so don't worry about it bro.
  8. Yeah I guess I shouldn't worry about it. The temps seem to be fine and all and it runs smooth.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Thermal Compound