Noticeable differences between GTX 680 and 690?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleonris

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
I am building a new gaming PC, and was at first planning to put in a GTX 680, but then I noticed that if I got a 690, I would slightly go over my planned budget. (GTX 680 = $529.99 / GTX 690 = 999.99)

I want to know if it would be worth that extra money to get a GTX 690 instead.

Solution
According to Tom's Hardware's "GeForce GTX 690 Review: Testing Nvidia's Sexiest Graphics Card"

"Benchmarking Nvidia’s new GeForce GTX 690 almost wasn’t even necessary. The company gave us a great idea of what to expect when it told us that its new Death Star would be fully operational, featuring two uncut GK104s. A slightly lower base clock suggested average performance just a smidge below two GeForce GTX 680s—but certainly not enough to be noticeable while you’re gaming.

If you consider $500 for GeForce GTX 680 to be a fair price, then $1000 for GeForce GTX 690 is comparably reasonable. But is it any better? Or should you just stick to a pair of Nvidia’s fastest single-GPU cards?

That’s going to depend on your priorities...
If you use a single 1080p with a 60hz refresh, as most are, it would be best to stick with a single 670 or 680 at most. If you use monitor with a resolution at 2560x1440, multiple monitors in 2D surround or Eyefinity, or 3D Vision, then a 690 may have some value for you.

fantastik250

Distinguished
According to Tom's Hardware's "GeForce GTX 690 Review: Testing Nvidia's Sexiest Graphics Card"

"Benchmarking Nvidia’s new GeForce GTX 690 almost wasn’t even necessary. The company gave us a great idea of what to expect when it told us that its new Death Star would be fully operational, featuring two uncut GK104s. A slightly lower base clock suggested average performance just a smidge below two GeForce GTX 680s—but certainly not enough to be noticeable while you’re gaming.

If you consider $500 for GeForce GTX 680 to be a fair price, then $1000 for GeForce GTX 690 is comparably reasonable. But is it any better? Or should you just stick to a pair of Nvidia’s fastest single-GPU cards?

That’s going to depend on your priorities.

Practically, two GeForce GTX 680s facilitate slightly better performance and they exhaust all of their heat out into the surrounding environment. They’re also scalable at a more granular level. That is to say, if you buy two GeForce GTX 680s today, you could add a third tomorrow and be out-of-pocket for $1500. For most enthusiasts with the right motherboard slot configuration, that’s the smarter play.

...And so we come full circle. Nvidia’s new flagship is a lot like an expensive sports car: attractive, exclusive, and not necessarily practical. But if you’re in line for one, there’s a fair chance you already know that and probably don’t care."

From their conclusion page: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-690-benchmark,3193-15.html

Solution

Aleonris

Distinguished
May 24, 2012

I am just planning to build a gaming PC that can run games such as Skyrim at Ultra, and I also doubt two 680s would be necessary for the moment. At least, not until game develppers come up with even more powerful Physics engines and graphics. But it probably won't a little while. Guess I'll just stick with my 680. Thanks for the answer.

But just case, http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19503092

Status
Not open for further replies.