925chrisj

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Hey,
So i put together my new computer tonight and when i booted it up it went straight to my BIOS. When I told it to boot from the hard drive (which i used from my old desktop which has windows xp on it) it begins to load and instantly goes into the blue screen. However, it only stays in the bluescreen for a bried second and it proceeds to restart and tell me that windows could not start succesfully. How can i solve this? I have a copy of windows 7 but the computer wont start up from the disc. Do I need to wipe the hard drive completely so I can fresh install windows 7? If so, how do i accomplish this when all i can get into is my BIOS. Thanks

925chrisj

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Thanks for the info, but how do i reformat the HDD from the bios?

daamz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

bro, u need to press DMM MEM OK! button on your MOBO.. Hold it untill the light blinking.. then turn ON power as usual..

this is for the 1st time start.. sometime this thing need to be done :)

daamz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
bro, stop it.. sorry.. i misread.. so you can start but canot start the windows.. mean you have to format your hard drive.. soryy.. put in your OS dvd.. then ON your pc..

Press F1 or F2 when the BIOS promp on the screen. Change/rearrange your preference drive to the DVD Drive.

925chrisj

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Pressing F1 and F2 does not do anything. When i start the boot from the dvd drive with windows 7 in it, it goes to a black screen with a blinking white underscore _ and does nothing else

daamz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

ARE YOU SURE YOUR DVD IS IN GOOD CONDITION? OR CANNOT READ?

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

that board uses a UEFI bios. that's fun to use.
In the EZ mode which should look like the picture below:

http://techgage.com/viewimg/?img=/reviews/intel/sandy_bridge_launch/asus_uefi.jpg&desc=Intel%20Sandy%20Bridge%20Processor

see the BOOT PRIORITY in the lower-left corner of the screen?
the order is HDD -> DVD
just swap the two icons by dragging the DVD icon to the left of the HDD icon. Save and Exit. Restart your PC with the DVD OS installer in your DVD drive.

925chrisj

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

The problem i think is that i have a windows 7 CD, and the hard drive has windows xp on it. So when XP tries to start up, it fails (im thinking because ive changed every piece of hardware besides the hard drive). And i have no idea why the windows 7 cd wont start up. I know the CD is intact because i have used it on my laptop

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

Im using an ASUS P8Z77-M PRO, we should have the same config. Mine uses "delete" to enter the bios. Anyway, it should flash somewhere in the screen when he boots the system. You just need to read fast. Unless it says "press F1+F12+delete+A+S+U+S to enter bios" LOL. just kidding. LOL

anyway, I think it's delete for ASUS boards with UEFI bios. :)

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

ohh that's okay. it will work. you just need to erase what's on the hard drive. sadly, you will loose all data in the OS partition. Does the drive have partitions? You only need to erase the partition with the windows XP on it. You can also choose "upgrade" in installing windows 7. It will not delete the files in your OS drive (usually drive C) and can still access it. Up until what part of the installation do you reach? Do you reach the part where you select either 32-bit or 64-bit? after that is the selection where you can edit partitions, delete and form new ones. Then you would select a partition where you want to install windows 7 OS. Everything is read-and-click from there.

925chrisj

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

The CD doesnt even start, it just goes to a black screen for a second then attempts to start from the hard drive, where it then starts XP and fails. I have no need for anything on my hard drive, id love to just wipe it clean so i can install windows 7 as normal. but i have no desktop to plug this hard drive into to wipe it. So thats where im stuck lol :(

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
okay. let's do this step-by-step :)

1) Open bios, set boot priority to DVD, save and restart (you're done with this right)
2) During restart, insert window 7 DVD in the drive.
3) You should read something like "press any key to boot from DVD" in a black screen. You should then press something in the keyboard.
4) Windows 7 should be loading by then (expanding files and so on)
5) Then the language part (choose a language)
6) Installation window (click Install Now,forget repairing your files since the old OS was windows XP)
7) License part (select accept terms)
8) Upgrade or Custom Install
> upgrade, it will install OS in an existing partition. it will not delete any file, just render the old OS useless.
> custom install, you can delete old partitions and its data, create new ones. its up to you how many partitions you want.

9) installation part, everything is read-and-select from there.

You can read this guide if you want.

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-7/514412-windows-7-installation-guide-tutorial.html

another guide:

http://www.petri.co.il/ultimate-guide-to-installing-windows-7.htm