Sign in with
Your question

HIS AMD Radeon HD 6850 Crashes, Freezes at Random in Win 7 64

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2012 8:22:48 AM

Greetings, chaps. I'm having a devil of a time assessing a most peculiar problem with my graphical processing unit. My current model is an HIS IceQ X Turbo AMD Radeon HD 6850 which I purchased in November of last year. The card is physically working flawlessly, this statement being supported by my observations of its workings alongside the Debian GNU/Linux operating system.

The problems, however, occur upon loading Redmond, Washington's latest offering of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition on an x86-64 architecture.

All graphical entertainments cease operations at random intervals; as such, I can not guarantee an enjoyable session of Batman: Arkham City or Empire: Total War via Steam. For example, my sessions will abruptly end and be replaced with vertical tiled lines of color with audio occasionally looping indefinitely. I am currently using the latest drivers from AMD for the card and can not figure out what to do next in terms of alleviating this problem.

When I bought this card, I did not have the CPU cooler I now own (Thermaltake Contac 30) which slightly hangs over my RAM.

CPU Cooler:
Thermaltake CLP0579 120mm Contac 30 Intel LGA-2011 Ready 160W TDP Heatpipe Direct-contact Technology CPU Cooler

RAM:
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G

Old PSU:
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Modular High Performance Power Supply

New PSU:
APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply

The only other element which changed was my upgraded PSU; I bought the 680W because my sister needed a new PSU for her machine.

After perusing these and other forums, I've read how this could be either a PSU or RAM issue. What do you think is the most likely culprit? RAM overheating from the CPU cooler hanging above the first stick of RAM? The PSU being of a lower quality than my original 500W?

I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter.
June 3, 2012 8:29:24 AM

Did it work before you updated your drivers? You may want to roll back your drivers and see if it does anything. Have you overclocked the card higher than it's normal default clock settings?
m
l
June 3, 2012 8:41:02 AM

fantastik250 said:
Did it work before you updated your drivers? You may want to roll back your drivers and see if it does anything. Have you overclocked the card higher than it's normal default clock settings?

I rolled back my drivers and it worked okay for a brief period; as soon as a GPU-heavy game (e.g. Empire: Total War) started, however, it would cause the same problem.

I did tweak the card's clock settings higher but I can reset them as soon as I get home from work.
m
l
!