Sign in with
Your question

Mouse stutter in games

Last response: in Components
December 7, 2012 8:03:07 PM

Okay guys, I have this issue, and have had it for quite a while. I get weird stuttering when using a mouse to control my fps games. If I plug an xbox gamepad in, it completely goes away, most of the time. It happens when I turn, or circle strafe while focusing on an object in game. It gets a jittery/stuttery feel and does not turn smoothly. If I have a gamepad plugged in, smooth as silk. Someone suggested trying another mouse, and I have finally found my old mouse recently and decided to test it out. I normally use a Logitech mx518 wired mouse, so I hooked up this old, ball style mouse to see if it had the same issue. I used crysis 2 for the test, as this is one of the games the gamepad seems to perform admirably on. I fired it up and whoa, the stuttering is much worse with this old mouse than my logitech. I have already disabled mouse pointer precision and any kind of mouse smoothing in any game that has the option. I just can't figure it out. I want to use my Keyboard/mouse controls. Any PC gamer knows this completely trumps the gamepad in fps games. It gives the illusion my game is running poorly, though. Does anyone have any clue as to why this is happening? Also, the old mouse is ps2 connected, and the new mouse and keyboard are both usb. There has to be some kind of underlying problem with my PC. I'm pretty sure my little test has eliminated my mouse. Could it be that using the mouse and keyboard together is causing some kind of interference with one another? Any help would be appreciated.

More about : mouse stutter games

December 8, 2012 7:49:10 AM

This is going to sound daft and i dont mean to offend but what type of surface are you using your mouse on? mouse mat ect.
m
l
December 8, 2012 9:18:27 PM

I am using one of those steel series gaming mouse pads. The really big one. I got it because my old pad had a little too much friction. I have experienced this even before the new pad, however. I have tried different types of surfaces, such as a blank sheet of paper, and even my desk itself. Is there a surface you would recommend trying?
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2012 7:58:04 AM

Bump...........Someone has got to know, or is familiar with this issue. Please, this is severely detrimental to the overall game experience. I also removed the drivers that came with my mouse and I am using windows default drivers. Obviously, this did not correct this weird mouse stutter. I have nowhere to turn, most people talk about mouse lag when I search for this problem. I just have no idea what it could be. My old PCs back in the day never seemed to have a problem like this, and I have been dealing with it in just about every game. Walking and strafing are smooth as butter, but as soon as I start to turn, stutter. Some games are worse than others, and very few games do not seem to have this issue at all. Man, I sure am desperate, lol.
m
l
December 10, 2012 8:00:32 AM

Oh, I almost forgot. Is there anyway it has something to do with my usb ports, or maybe interference of other usb devices?
m
l
Anonymous
December 12, 2012 12:57:21 AM

maybe try it in an external powered usb HUB just to see if its getting the required (mv's) just a guess and might be worth a try? i bought an powered 4 port usb hub just to off load some the power from the motherboards own usb power supply, main reasson being because i have alot of external usb devices so i just thought a powered usb hub off loading some of the drain form the motherboard would be a good idea for my setup ... im not even sure if the more device you add to the onboard usb how it effects power drain on the motherboard if they all require power from the the usb port ... seemed like a good idea for me and solved dim lights in my keyboard, mouse and my nostromo gamming keypad.
m
l
Anonymous
December 12, 2012 1:02:33 AM

although after saying that you'll probs find a format and reinstall will solve all your problems
m
l
January 16, 2013 9:19:06 PM

Well, thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely try it, seems to be a viable solution. Just gotta get the powered USB hub. Sorry it took so long to respond.
m
l
April 17, 2014 1:31:04 PM

did you fix this??
m
l
!