Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Overcompensating with this PSU?

Last response: in Components
December 7, 2012 8:44:30 PM

So I'm building a new system, and my interactions on these forums have led me to believe that my knowledge is severely lacking and this may have adversely affected my purchasing decisions. I'm reading the guides here and elsewhere to bring myself up to speed, but I'd like some feedback to make sure I'm on the right track.

For one, I am getting the impression that my PSU is excessive for my system. Am I right? I have a Corsair GS800 which I can still return and exchange, and here are my current and eventual system specs:

_ASUS Sabertooth X79 MoBo
_Intel i7 3820 CPU (Eventual: no unlocked multiplier, but want to overclock as is possible)
_VisionTek's version of the AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2 Gig) (Eventual: hope to get another and set up crossfire)
_8 GB RAM (2x4) Corsair Vengance (Eventual: as much RAM as possible to help with video editing, digital painting and other such things)
_Corsair H50 CPU cooling (Eventual: I'm not sure I want to stick with liquid cooling yet)
_Seagate barracuda 1TB HDD (Eventual: I'd like to set up a RAID 10 array with 4 drives at some point)

With what I've learned, I'm getting the impression that 800W is overkill and 700-750W would be more than enough for even the eventual, pie-in-the-sky system. I can still return the thing, and I'd like to know if that's a good idea.

Thank you, and be as blunt as you like, I have a lot to learn.

More about : overcompensating psu

Best solution

a c 307 ) Power supply
December 7, 2012 9:40:59 PM

thuskeld said:
So I'm building a new system, and my interactions on these forums have led me to believe that my knowledge is severely lacking and this may have adversely affected my purchasing decisions. I'm reading the guides here and elsewhere to bring myself up to speed, but I'd like some feedback to make sure I'm on the right track.

For one, I am getting the impression that my PSU is excessive for my system. Am I right? I have a Corsair GS800 which I can still return and exchange, and here are my current and eventual system specs:

_ASUS Sabertooth X79 MoBo
_Intel i7 3820 CPU (Eventual: no unlocked multiplier, but want to overclock as is possible)
_VisionTek's version of the AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2 Gig) (Eventual: hope to get another and set up crossfire)
_8 GB RAM (2x4) Corsair Vengance (Eventual: as much RAM as possible to help with video editing, digital painting and other such things)
_Corsair H50 CPU cooling (Eventual: I'm not sure I want to stick with liquid cooling yet)
_Seagate barracuda 1TB HDD (Eventual: I'd like to set up a RAID 10 array with 4 drives at some point)

With what I've learned, I'm getting the impression that 800W is overkill and 700-750W would be more than enough for even the eventual, pie-in-the-sky system. I can still return the thing, and I'd like to know if that's a good idea.

Thank you, and be as blunt as you like, I have a lot to learn.

Yes - 800w is more than you need, but if you're thinking of getting 750w, not much of a reason to switch.

If you're gonna run 4 hdd, 2 7870's, & H2O cooling there's no harm done with the PSU you have.

I don't know much about the GS series tho (gonna have to check), so maybe you might want to
step up in quality & get a 750 AX series, Seasonic X-750, or an XFX core 750 which has an outstanding deal now at Newegg.

Tom

OK - the GS800 has several positive reviews, so even tho you don't need 800w,
I say stay with it.

Gaming Series
75-001183 ATX12V &
EPS12V 800 1 x 65 Amps 80 Plus Channel Well Hardware Secrets, Hardware Heaven, KitGuru, TechPowerUp

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-GS800-Po...

December 8, 2012 3:17:33 AM

toyftw said:
Yes - 800w is more than you need, but if you're thinking of getting 750w, not much of a reason to switch.

If you're gonna run 4 hdd, 2 7870's, & H2O cooling there's no harm done with the PSU you have.

I don't know much about the GS series tho (gonna have to check), so maybe you might want to
step up in quality & get a 750 AX series, Seasonic X-750, or an XFX core 750 which has an outstanding deal now at Newegg.

Tom

OK - the GS800 has several positive reviews, so even tho you don't need 800w,
I say stay with it.

Gaming Series
75-001183 ATX12V &
EPS12V 800 1 x 65 Amps 80 Plus Channel Well Hardware Secrets, Hardware Heaven, KitGuru, TechPowerUp

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-GS800-Po...

Thanks a lot, and thanks especially for that link. I was unaware of that site.
Score
December 8, 2012 3:17:50 AM

Best answer selected by thuskeld.
Score
!