Sign in with
Your question

New To Upgrading - Please Help!

Last response: in CPUs
December 7, 2012 8:49:25 PM

I have a MSI GT60 0NC-004US, and because of some of the games I play, i'd like to upgrade the i7-3610QM to a i7-3920XM. Long story short, I want to make sure this is possible. Any help would be appreciated!

More about : upgrading

a c 190 à CPUs
December 7, 2012 9:01:19 PM

There is no reason why it shouldnt work. The mobile Intel® Core™ i7-3920XM is almost the same processor as the Intel Core i7-3610QM except for a clock speed difference but they have the same TDP so the cooling should be the same. You might give MSI a call to ensure that it does but the chipset does support the change.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2012 9:03:27 PM

You can't really upgrade processors in laptops because it regards heating and on top of that battery life. Also, most likely, the BIOS won't support it. Lastly, it's freaking ridiculous to tear apart a laptop just to do that! Your laptop's processor should be fine, if anything, it's graphics, which is also hard and nearly impossible to upgrade.
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2012 11:50:15 PM

Not trying to be rude, but I don't care if it doesn't make sense to upgrade a laptop, I just want to know whether or not it is possible in this case. The warranty on it allows upgrading and I will probably take it to an electronics/computer technician to make sure the disassembly, installation, and reassembly are performed correctly.
m
l
December 7, 2012 11:53:58 PM

Thank you, the sockets are the same, while the 3920xm has a slightly higher tdp. Will I need to adjust anything because of the difference?
m
l
!