Sign in with
Your question

Problem with build, possible graphics card problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2012 2:07:17 PM

Hello, I built a computer with the guidance of the Team Liquid forum almost a year ago, I took it easy for a while not putting too much stress on it until I got starcraft II, then I noticed frequent crashing so investigated and thought it may have been a power supply problem, so I bought a new one (see below) but still I experience crashing...Can anyone help identify the problem?
Note: Problem only occurs when high load is put on graphics card, which why I think the problem lays there.

CPU:
Intel Core i5 2500 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB
MotherBoard:
Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3 Intel H61 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard
RAM:
Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Kit Non-ECC CL9 1.5V
GPU:
HIS HD 6870 IceQ X Turbo 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Dual Mini DisplayPort HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
Original PSU:
Corsair 430W V2 CX Series PSU
New PSU:
Corsair 600W V2 CX Series PSU

HD:
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM
Case:
Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Mid Tower Case
DVD drive:
LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVDᄆRW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials

Thank you very much for your assistance. :) 
June 3, 2012 5:28:56 PM

I've had this software for a while and it shows that it is running at 37 degrees C (CCC shows the same temperature) while at 0% activity. I put skyrim on to see what temperature it cuts out and it was about 57 C when it did, is this too high?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2012 11:46:13 PM

No, that is normal. I remember that skyrim have a bug & crash due to lack of memory. I fixed mine with using Explorer Suit & enabled "can handle >2GB or something like that." I would paste the link how to do it later as I need to go in the meantime.
June 4, 2012 1:08:24 AM

It's not just with skyrim though it also happens when I play SC II and civ 5.
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 6:13:07 AM

Yes, I saw it in your first post. I was just thinking that its better to isolate any problem caused by the application itself.

By the way, what catalyst version do you have now? & have you tried installing catalyst application profiles?
June 4, 2012 11:55:43 AM

Ah, ok. I thought I had the most recent version of catalyst, but after a quick check I was one version behind (I am now up to date).
And I have not done anything with application profiles, I have had a look at the settings page but I don't really know what I'm doing.
June 5, 2012 9:08:13 PM

I did that, and it changed nothing, I also tried starcraft II, it also crashed after about a minute. :/ 
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2012 9:33:24 PM

Try older drivers, like 11.10 or something, or it could just be a faulty card. Maybe it's worth trying to underclock that graphics card, my friend had to do that with his old 4870 to run some games, otherwise it would crash...
June 6, 2012 4:29:39 PM

I under clocked the card the whole way, no effect.
!