Sign in with
Your question

Dell 540 Studio PSU replacement

Last response: in Components
December 7, 2012 11:14:06 PM

Hello,
I've bought a replacement PSU and thought I had all the connections understood. After getting almost all the connections plugged in, one remains (the one I thought I knew where it went). I can't seem to place where the connector P8 goes, it's got 3 black wires and 3 yellow wire. can someone help? Apparently there are no wire drawings anywhere on the interenet.
a c 133 ) Power supply
December 8, 2012 12:39:22 AM

That connector would go to a graphics card (if you have one that takes additional PCIe power). If you do not have a graphics card, that connector can be left loose. Here is a link that shows the different power connectors used within a PC (and even some old ones no longer used) http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors....
Hope it helps
m
l
December 9, 2012 11:33:09 AM

C12Friedman said:
That connector would go to a graphics card (if you have one that takes additional PCIe power). If you do not have a graphics card, that connector can be left loose. Here is a link that shows the different power connectors used within a PC (and even some old ones no longer used) http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors....
Hope it helps

Thanks! I know when I disconnected all the PSU wires, this connector was connected to an area that was the power button. However, I don't see an way to get this connector back in the same area. It's the identical connector, but I just don't see anything for it to plug into.
m
l
a c 133 ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 11:59:07 AM

For your power connections, you should have something like this going on.
1) 24 pin Main Power connector into the motherboard - only one place to fit that.
2) a 4 pin ATX (CPU) connector into the motherboard - upper left hand corner - you want to use a 4 pin, 4+4 pin (just one) or an 8 pin (which will hang over nothingness for half the connector) ATX connector
3) Power to optical drive(s)
4) Power to HDD(s)
5) Power to fan(s) that aren't connected to motherboard
6) Power to graphics card(s) if any (that's the PCIe connector)
Any other power cables can be bundled up and tucked away, you should be good to go at that point.
m
l
!