Status
Not open for further replies.

witcher_chaos

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
Hi, will there be a bottleneck on my i7 920 @ stock if I use 2x GTX 670's?

If yes, then will it still bottleneck if I OC my CPU?

Thanks!

Solution

OK, just how good do you need to be?

I would imagine that a single GTX670 would perform a bit better than sli 5850 cards, and do it with ledd issues from dual cards like heat issues, microstuttering, and minimum frame rates.

If you will be using only a single monitor, I think you would see diminishing returns from sli GTX670, even with the strongest of cpu's.

Instead of spending $800 on two GTX670 cards, I think you would be better off to spend $500 on a GTX680, and the remaining $300 on a 2500K or 3570K and a Z77 motherboard.

Offset that with the sale of the GTX580 cards and the i7-920.

Why do you ask?
Are you contemplating a change from what to what?

I suspect that if you are planning to upgrade from one GTX670 to two, the answer is no.
As a rule, the graphics configuration is mote important than the cpu. Depending , of course on the game.

Your i7-920 is a competent cpu chip, and it can be overclocked easily.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

Another way to do this test is to OC a bit and see if your FPS increases, indicating that the cpu is a limiting factor.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

OK, just how good do you need to be?

I would imagine that a single GTX670 would perform a bit better than sli 5850 cards, and do it with ledd issues from dual cards like heat issues, microstuttering, and minimum frame rates.

If you will be using only a single monitor, I think you would see diminishing returns from sli GTX670, even with the strongest of cpu's.

Instead of spending $800 on two GTX670 cards, I think you would be better off to spend $500 on a GTX680, and the remaining $300 on a 2500K or 3570K and a Z77 motherboard.

Offset that with the sale of the GTX580 cards and the i7-920.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.