• Gtx
  • Bottleneck
  • Intel i7
  • CPUs
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2012 4:12:49 PM

Hi, will there be a bottleneck on my i7 920 @ stock if I use 2x GTX 670's?

If yes, then will it still bottleneck if I OC my CPU?

Thanks!

More about : cpu bottleneck gtx 670 sli

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 4:31:36 PM

At first Yes there will be.If you overclock it the bottlenect will either be gone or be very minor.
Score
a c 303 U Graphics card
a c 380 à CPUs
June 3, 2012 4:35:07 PM

Why do you ask?
Are you contemplating a change from what to what?

I suspect that if you are planning to upgrade from one GTX670 to two, the answer is no.
As a rule, the graphics configuration is mote important than the cpu. Depending , of course on the game.

Your i7-920 is a competent cpu chip, and it can be overclocked easily.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

Another way to do this test is to OC a bit and see if your FPS increases, indicating that the cpu is a limiting factor.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
Score
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 6:31:59 PM

Yes in some specific CPU intensive games it will bottleneck, to eliminate that OC it to 4.0 GHz and thus you're getting the full potentiality from both CPU and GPU.
Score
June 3, 2012 8:00:09 PM

geofelt: i currently have 2x HD 5850's
Score

Best solution

a c 303 U Graphics card
a c 380 à CPUs
June 3, 2012 8:44:37 PM

witcher_chaos said:
geofelt: i currently have 2x HD 5850's

OK, just how good do you need to be?

I would imagine that a single GTX670 would perform a bit better than sli 5850 cards, and do it with ledd issues from dual cards like heat issues, microstuttering, and minimum frame rates.

If you will be using only a single monitor, I think you would see diminishing returns from sli GTX670, even with the strongest of cpu's.

Instead of spending $800 on two GTX670 cards, I think you would be better off to spend $500 on a GTX680, and the remaining $300 on a 2500K or 3570K and a Z77 motherboard.

Offset that with the sale of the GTX580 cards and the i7-920.

June 4, 2012 8:37:01 AM

Best answer selected by witcher_chaos.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2012 1:25:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!