6230 Shortcuts

Like most Nokia's on the 6230, it seems to be possible to jumps straight to
a certain menu by pressing the Menu key, then a sequence of number keys.

Eg Calculator = Menu, 7,2

For some reason, it doesn't work for the Messages sub menu,
So if I Press Menu,1,1,1
which should give me the Create New Text message menu option
I get 'Shortcut not Available'

Anyone get this/know what the problem is or is it just me or my phone.

btw, before anyone points it out, I know I can set up various shortcuts on
the left softkey, but that's not the question... :-)

Thanks,

ChrisM

--
Please remove shoes to reply

But what ... is it good for?
- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
commenting on the microchip.
8 answers Last reply
More about 6230 shortcuts

    "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in

    > Anyone get this/know what the problem is or is it just me or my phone.

    I get it, and 'get it'... and yes, it's just you (well, you did ask!)

    Try 01-1-1, otherwise the phone thinks you want menu 11 (which doesn't
    exist on the 6230).

    --
    sA

    I experience this problem too.

    "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Like most Nokia's on the 6230, it seems to be possible to jumps straight
    > a certain menu by pressing the Menu key, then a sequence of number keys.
    >
    > Eg Calculator = Menu, 7,2
    >
    > For some reason, it doesn't work for the Messages sub menu,
    > So if I Press Menu,1,1,1
    > which should give me the Create New Text message menu option
    > I get 'Shortcut not Available'
    >
    > Anyone get this/know what the problem is or is it just me or my phone.
    >
    > btw, before anyone points it out, I know I can set up various shortcuts on
    > the left softkey, but that's not the question... :-)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ChrisM
    >
    > --
    > Please remove shoes to reply
    >
    > But what ... is it good for?
    > - Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
    > commenting on the microchip.

    "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Like most Nokia's on the 6230, it seems to be possible to jumps straight
    > a certain menu by pressing the Menu key, then a sequence of number keys.
    >
    > Eg Calculator = Menu, 7,2
    >
    > For some reason, it doesn't work for the Messages sub menu,
    > So if I Press Menu,1,1,1
    > which should give me the Create New Text message menu option
    > I get 'Shortcut not Available'
    >
    > Anyone get this/know what the problem is or is it just me or my phone.
    >
    > btw, before anyone points it out, I know I can set up various shortcuts on
    > the left softkey, but that's not the question... :-)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ChrisM
    >
    > --
    > Please remove shoes to reply
    >
    > But what ... is it good for?
    > - Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
    > commenting on the microchip.

    maybe the fact that 'left' on the rocker switch jumps straight into new
    message, nokia decided that they didn't need another shortcut to get to it

    "southpawArcher" <null@null.null> wrote in message
    > "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in
    >

    > > Anyone get this/know what the problem is or is it just me or my phone.
    > >

    > I get it, and 'get it'... and yes, it's just you (well, you did ask!)
    >
    > Try 01-1-1, otherwise the phone thinks you want menu 11 (which doesn't
    > exist on the 6230).
    >

    > --
    > sA

    Doh!

    Thanks for that! Obvious when you think about it, it's just that I didn't.

    Cheers again, (and hop you continue to 'get it' ;-) )

    ChrisM.

    --
    Please remove shoes to reply

    But what ... is it good for?
    - Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
    commenting on the microchip.

    "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > For some reason, it doesn't work for the Messages sub menu,
    > So if I Press Menu,1,1,1
    > which should give me the Create New Text message menu option
    > I get 'Shortcut not Available'

    Menu-1-1-1 works fine for new message for me (version 4.28). You can also
    press the left arrow and it jumps straight to new message.

    Adam

    "Adam Greatrix" <extorian@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > For some reason, it doesn't work for the Messages sub menu,
    > > So if I Press Menu,1,1,1
    > > which should give me the Create New Text message menu option
    > > I get 'Shortcut not Available'
    >
    > Menu-1-1-1 works fine for new message for me (version 4.28). You can also
    > press the left arrow and it jumps straight to new message.
    >
    > Adam

    Hi Adam,

    Could I ask where you live (which country). I didn't think 4.28 was
    available outside Asia at the moment.
    If you are from the UK, how did you get 4.28? Local Nokia dealer? Or did
    your phone just come with that version?

    Have they added Voice shortcuts for the MP3 player in 4.28 (I doubt it...)

    Any good changes between 3.xx and 4.28?

    How much memory does your phone now have? (main phone not MMS card) I heard
    reports that 4.28 reduces the phone memory from ~9Mb to ~4.5Mb

    Thanks,

    ChrisM.

    > > Menu-1-1-1 works fine for new message for me (version 4.28). You can
    also
    > > press the left arrow and it jumps straight to new message.

    > Could I ask where you live (which country). I didn't think 4.28 was
    > available outside Asia at the moment.

    UK

    > If you are from the UK, how did you get 4.28? Local Nokia dealer? Or did
    > your phone just come with that version?

    My phone came with it - bought a week ago. I was suprised too as I thought
    3.18 was the latest version.

    > Have they added Voice shortcuts for the MP3 player in 4.28 (I doubt it...)

    Not as far as I can see in the Voice Commands menu.

    > Any good changes between 3.xx and 4.28?

    I didn't have the phone with an earlier version of the firmware so I'm not
    sure. The webpage I normally look up the change logs on
    (http://www.mwiacek.com/) no longer has the page about firmware changes. For
    what it's worth though, my 256MB MMC card works fine and is reported as the
    correct size, bluetooth works fine to/from computer and to/from my gf's
    Motorola V600 phone, my CARK126 car kit works fine with it - very good audio
    quality (7250i distorted lots), the video recorder still has a 4 minute
    limit.

    > How much memory does your phone now have? (main phone not MMS card) I
    heard
    > reports that 4.28 reduces the phone memory from ~9Mb to ~4.5Mb

    It says I have 4.2MB total, but then when you have a 256MB MMC it's not much
    of a problem, you can do everything, other than running Java programs and
    storing your contacts, from that.

    Adam

    > > Could I ask where you live (which country). I didn't think 4.28 was
    > > available outside Asia at the moment.
    >
    > UK
    >
    > > If you are from the UK, how did you get 4.28? Local Nokia dealer? Or did
    > > your phone just come with that version?
    >
    > My phone came with it - bought a week ago. I was suprised too as I thought
    > 3.18 was the latest version.
    >
    > > Have they added Voice shortcuts for the MP3 player in 4.28 (I doubt
    it...)

    > Not as far as I can see in the Voice Commands menu.
    >
    > > Any good changes between 3.xx and 4.28?
    >
    > I didn't have the phone with an earlier version of the firmware so I'm not
    > sure. The webpage I normally look up the change logs on
    > (http://www.mwiacek.com/) no longer has the page about firmware changes.
    For
    > what it's worth though, my 256MB MMC card works fine and is reported as
    the
    > correct size, bluetooth works fine to/from computer and to/from my gf's
    > Motorola V600 phone, my CARK126 car kit works fine with it - very good
    audio
    > quality (7250i distorted lots), the video recorder still has a 4 minute
    > limit.
    >
    > > How much memory does your phone now have? (main phone not MMS card) I
    > heard
    > > reports that 4.28 reduces the phone memory from ~9Mb to ~4.5Mb
    >
    > It says I have 4.2MB total, but then when you have a 256MB MMC it's not
    much
    > of a problem, you can do everything, other than running Java programs and
    > storing your contacts, from that.
    >
    > Adam

    Thanks Adam, for you comprehensive answer.Thats very useful.

    Regards,

    ChrisM.

Nokia