Is my power supply killing motherboards?

Anastopholies

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
My original machine was an MSI 970A-G46 mobo with a Raidmax RX-530SS 530W PSU

After reading articles on Tom's Hardware about cheap PSUs and seeing poor reviews of the raidmax I decided to upgrade the PSU to protect my machine... Also decided while i was upgrading i might as well upgrade the case and Graphics card. The PSU i chose was the SeaSonic M12II 620W.

After everything was hooked up and double checked to make sure everything was where it was supposed to go I pushed the power button where everything lit up.. and died. Using the old PSU I verified it was dead. I had another 970A-G46 Mobo meant for another machine and put it in with the old PSU and booted up fine.

I took the PSU to my friend with a cheap PSU tester and the tester did not like what it saw. But my friend was convinced that the PSU was not at fault and proved it by attaching 2 different systems to it that booted fine.

Now with confidence that it was just a faulty mobo i placed it back in the machine... Lit up... and died.

Now I'm 2 mobos dead and super frustrated. I am relatively new to the build it yourself and would like to continue... please...what am i doing wrong?

Anastopholies

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

yes I did... the setup worked fine with the raidmax .. nothing was changed besides the PSU