Sign in with
Your question

Is my power supply killing motherboards?

Last response: in Components
December 8, 2012 1:21:45 AM

My original machine was an MSI 970A-G46 mobo with a Raidmax RX-530SS 530W PSU

After reading articles on Tom's Hardware about cheap PSUs and seeing poor reviews of the raidmax I decided to upgrade the PSU to protect my machine... Also decided while i was upgrading i might as well upgrade the case and Graphics card. The PSU i chose was the SeaSonic M12II 620W.

After everything was hooked up and double checked to make sure everything was where it was supposed to go I pushed the power button where everything lit up.. and died. Using the old PSU I verified it was dead. I had another 970A-G46 Mobo meant for another machine and put it in with the old PSU and booted up fine.

I took the PSU to my friend with a cheap PSU tester and the tester did not like what it saw. But my friend was convinced that the PSU was not at fault and proved it by attaching 2 different systems to it that booted fine.

Now with confidence that it was just a faulty mobo i placed it back in the machine... Lit up... and died.

Now I'm 2 mobos dead and super frustrated. I am relatively new to the build it yourself and would like to continue... please...what am i doing wrong?
a b ) Power supply
a c 150 V Motherboard
December 8, 2012 1:52:24 AM

when you put the board in the case did you put the standoff post between the case and the board if not that is making short on the board and burn some components
m
l
December 8, 2012 2:23:17 AM

scout_03 said:
when you put the board in the case did you put the standoff post between the case and the board if not that is making short on the board and burn some components

yes I did... the setup worked fine with the raidmax .. nothing was changed besides the PSU
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2012 12:57:58 PM

Well that seasonic worked with other system ? Maybe check the voltage switch on th PSU ?
m
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
a c 120 V Motherboard
December 8, 2012 1:02:39 PM

The SeaSonic does not have a switch, It is auto range. Very few power supplies have the switch now. Old designs may still have it but are generally not recommended.
m
l
a c 1170 ) Power supply
a c 216 V Motherboard
December 8, 2012 8:03:43 PM

Did you assemble and test all of the components outside of the case?
m
l
!