Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NEW BUILD MEDIA SERVER

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 25, 2012 9:07:32 PM

Hello,
i am planned on building a MEDIA computer, but im fairly newbe, so i have a few questions. Im looking for mostly storage for my Media bluray backups, pictures, and backup of my computers. I will be running windows server 08..

Whats the best processors for a basic set up? AMD OR iNTEL

How powerful of a Power supply should i need to run between 6-10 hard drives...

Just looking for some basic help!
Im fairly new to this site, so please excuse if this was discussed before
Thanks

More about : build media server

July 25, 2012 9:56:43 PM

Redrose70 said:
Hello,
i am planned on building a server computer, but im fairly newbe, so i have a few questions. Im looking for mostly storage for my Media bluray backups, pictures, and backup of my computers. I will be running windows server 08..

Whats the best processors for a basic set up? AMD OR iNTEL

How powerful of a Power supply should i need to run between 6-10 hard drives...

Just looking for some basic help!
Im fairly new to this site, so please excuse if this was discussed before
Thanks


Both AMD and Intel make CPU's specifically for the server market. Intel has the Xeon and AMD has the Opteron. Both will work but the Xeon will be a little faster.
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 25, 2012 10:17:26 PM

No chanse for a Xenon (12 cores) to beat Opteron (48 core processor) there for AMD is the best choise for a heavy build.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opteron

You also goanna need an OCZ RevoDrive3 X2 240GB SSD PCI-Express x4 as you see here:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-3-x2-max-iop...

in the server any watt counts low watts, low heat creation 1,600 Gbytes/s read 1,5 Gbytes/s write

forget the many disk a server can't afort the heat load 1-2 hard big disks for storage, in a rack there is not so much space anyway.

Noctua NF-P12 low watts fans needed very efective.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 25, 2012 10:23:44 PM

Hi :) 

My company builds servers for businesses....

First thing we need to know is your budget, as servers cost THOUSANDS....not hundreds...

So...budget ??

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 10:42:58 PM

This will not be for a business, just for my family's computers.

just a small MEDIA server basically to hold all my files for personal use. No hosting web sites, nothing to complex. Just a place to store stuff where i can reach in from anywhere in my house...


Would i be able to get away with the following.

Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
seems to have good reviews good amount of fans and bays

Processor I3
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

no idea of what kind of powersupply i will need

Hope this helps more...






m
0
l
July 25, 2012 10:47:48 PM

A real quad core might be a better idea for a server. A Phenom II x4 or an FX-4100 would probably do better than an i3 when used as a lower end server CPU, if these aren't already more than necessary for you (which they probably are). A cheap Intel Pentium or Celeron would probably do the job very well at less than half the cost of the i3 and lower power consumption, granted the i3s already don't use much power.
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 10:51:38 PM

From the sound of things the OP only wants a file server so even a intel atom based motherboard with about a 1-2Gb of ram will do the trick, the important thing here is the amount of SATA ports for additional HDDs so having a board with atleast 10 ports is the requirement or even an expansion board with 10 ports is another option, as for power supplies a branded minimum 600W PSU should do the trick for powering up the HDDs and the board.
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 10:54:41 PM

Anonymous said:
No chanse for a Xenon (12 cores) to beat Opteron (48 core processor) there for AMD is the best choise for a heavy build.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opteron

You also goanna need an OCZ RevoDrive3 X2 240GB SSD PCI-Express x4 as you see here:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-3-x2-max-iop...

in the server any watt counts low watts, low heat creation 1,600 Gbytes/s read 1,5 Gbytes/s write

forget the many disk a server can't afort the heat load 1-2 hard big disks for storage, in a rack there is not so much space anyway.

Noctua NF-P12 low watts fans needed very efective.


Hey Gia how much does AMD pay you to promote AMD products since you seem to have a strange fetish for AMD. Every thread you post in you trash Intel and try to promote AMD, you fanboyism is getting really tiresom. BTW in heavy threaded programs Xeon beats out Opteron













The Opteron only wins out on 4 or so benchmarks in most benchmarks the Xeon is faster and wins out.
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 10:58:15 PM

hairystuff said:
From the sound of things the OP only wants a file server so even a intel atom based motherboard with about a 1-2Gb of ram will do the trick, the important thing here is the amount of SATA ports for additional HDDs so having a board with atleast 10 ports is the requirement or even an expansion board with 10 ports is another option, as for power supplies a branded minimum 600W PSU should do the trick for powering up the HDDs and the board.




Thanks for the reply

I was thinking maybe go with this combo right here...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

comes with 6 sata ports, then i will by a card that has 4 or 5 more...

Any thoughts? this may be overkill but nothing wrong with that.
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 11:02:54 PM

Redrose70 said:
Thanks for the reply

I was thinking maybe go with this combo right here...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

comes with 6 sata ports, then i will by a card that has 4 or 5 more...

Any thoughts? this may be overkill but nothing wrong with that.


If you want to spend $120 on a CPU when one that is half the price would still be overkill, then that is your choice. It should work just fine, granted the chance of you using even a decent fraction of its full performance are slim unless you use it as more than a data storage and media streaming server.
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 11:08:32 PM

It does seem alittle over the top, but then again the price difference is negligible, although the Intel consumes less power so it might be more efficient in the long run and produce less heat. The case you've chosen is pretty good, I chose a similar case from antec when I built my home server, plus the rack ears make it convenient for rack mounting.
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 11:12:26 PM

hairystuff said:
It does seem alittle over the top, but then again the price difference is negligible, although the Intel consumes less power so it might be more efficient in the long run and produce less heat. The case you've chosen is pretty good, I chose a similar case from antec when I built my home server, plus the rack ears make it convenient for rack mounting.



thanks for the reply. Microcenter has good deals on MB/CPU combos. So for the two i picked out 160$ plus taxes..

Im not familiar with Powersupplys.. could you suggest any that would be safe for running all my HDDs... say 8 or 9 HDDS at a time if needed.. .
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 11:14:05 PM

As alphaalphaalpha said you wouldn't even stress the cpu with the tasks you are planning on doing with your server.
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 25, 2012 11:16:26 PM

rds1220 said:
Hey Gia how much does AMD pay you to promote AMD products since you seem to have a strange fetish for AMD. Every thread you post in you trash Intel and try to promote AMD, you fanboyism is getting really tiresom. BTW in heavy threaded programs Xeon beats out Opteron

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/amd12core_032610044429/22159.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/amd12core_032610044429/22220.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/amd12core_032610044429/22157.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/amd12core_032610044429/22153.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/amd12core_032610044429/22151.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/amd12core_032610044429/22158.png

The Opteron only wins out on 4 or so benchmarks in most benchmarks the Xeon is faster and wins out.


http://www.cbscores.com/
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 11:51:19 PM

For what you say you want to do, just backups of data and pc's, you barely need any processor at all. Once you want the server to do processing, that when you need some muscle in your cpu.

I would suggest a lower powered build beginning with an AMD motherbd which supports ecc dram
such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Theres no need for a GPU with this bd; its has an HD4250 built in)

and a cheap AMD athlonII/PhenomII cpu. (just moving data over the network you dont need a powerful cpu)
such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
( I chose the triple core because its only $5 more than the dualcore. I have an AthlonII x2 215 in my server, which serves the same roles as you describe, and its absolutely fine and can even stream 3 HD recordings simultaneously)

For OS look at Windows Home Server 11, its base code is server08 and its only $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For PSU , get a quality one with enough sata connectors. I tend to use Seasonics in my serverbuilds. They do cost a bit more but I havent had a single one fail.(Not like i'm building servers every week thou).

Anyways. I typically figure 15w for hdd spinup power draw and thats for 7200 rpm drives. for 10k/15k drives use 30w. So 10drives x15w = 150w just for the drives. Figure 200w max for the motherbd, ram, cards so a quality 450w unit should more than cover you with 7200rpm (or slower) drives.

Unfortunately you wont find a 450w supply with 10 sata connectors. You'll have to get a few sata power splitters, jump up to a more expensive 850-1000w supply, or maybe use an external enclosure for all those drives with its own PSU.
(not sure what your overall plan is)
m
0
l
Anonymous
July 26, 2012 6:20:15 AM

Redrose70 said:
Thanks for the reply

I was thinking maybe go with this combo right here...

Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811147154

AMD 6 core
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

comes with 6 sata ports, then i will by a card that has 4 or 5 more...

Any thoughts? this may be overkill but nothing wrong with that.



Your rack dosen't have much space go with tha ocz drive i wrote above for the system and the basic data, they start with file server and then add ftpd, httpd, maild, video stream, etc... it dosen't have moving parts like HDD's is goanna last longer.

There are hard disks with 4 TB or 6 TB space the limitations in ntfs are here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938937.asp...

I mean you will be forced to create 2 TB partitions it's goanna look like your machine has 2 or 3 hard disks, with 2 of 6 TB you will be just fine.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/hdd-charts-2012/be...

Find a motherboard with graphics card onbloard when you set up the system you disable the graphics card form the bios to reduse the heat, watts consumption even more. You can handle the server remote for your personal pc, make sure the motheboard has at list 2 on board lan controlers, you can directly connect the server to your pc with only 1 crossover udp cable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

The other one plug to the router.

The rack is always nice to have a removable hard disk bay for the backup you plug the HDD, ssd in there and you upload the image from sata port to PCI-E x4 much faster, raid rebuild can take 1-2 days, nobady can wait that long, trust me.

650 watts psu will be just fine, 2 NF-P12 (2 x 1,08 Watts) fans are more than enough, 6 years warrantee:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products...
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 1:23:54 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
!