Netgear DNG3500 DHCP Problem?

zcomuto

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I recently got myself a Netgear DGN3500 to replace an ageing, malfunctioning DG834G. However, I seem to be having problems connecting [all my] devices to it - sometimes.

I'm got the DGN3500 acting as a Modem & Router, with a Time Capsule acting as a bridge. Both are transmitting wireless networks. The network itself has 7 computers and an array of phones connecting to it regularly, though more often than not all at separate times rather than together.

I have some static IPs set for a couple of the more active computers & the bridge, but I leave the phones and whatnot to it most of the time.

However, I seem to be getting a problem where the router is not assigning IP adresses properly - regardless of wired or wireless, or if they connect to the DGN3500 or the Time capsule. AFter about 4 devices have been connected, all the rest just get 169.254.xxx.xxx adresses, regardless if they have static ones set within the router itself or not. I know this usually indicates a DHCP problem, but not even forcing a manual adress on the non-connecting devices themselves allows for internet access.

This usually forces me to restart the network in its entirety, which lets a "new" set of devices to connect before it refuses to start handing out IPs again.

So, long story short, is the Netgear DGN3500 an utter piece of crap, do I have a defective one or am I being stupid and there's a setting gone wrong somewhere?

Cheers in advance.

chanc3r

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I have just bought a Netgear DGN3500 and have a similar problem, I use ethernet cabling to connect a Netgear N150 as a second access point.

If a device gets its IP via the DGN3500 and then moves to the N150 an re-registers DHCP fails and vice-versa.. It can only think the DGN associates the DHCP lease with the route it served it on for some stupid reason and then won't serve it if the same MAC address appears in a different part of the network- stupid in the days of wireless.

I had a Draytek before a recent lightening strike :( and it worked flawlessly.... thought I'd go back to Netgear - now I can't think why. I've written to Netgear but if I don't get a fix soon the DGN is going back.

If I get anything I'll post a reply.

chanc3r

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Got this from Netgear Technical Support

"Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is Anand and I will be your support expert. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Regarding the concern, please be noted that the NETGEAR router/AP does not support seamless roaming and hence when you move real time from one network to the other the wireless connection needs to be reconnected with the specific AP and the DHCP lease/request is actually causing the delay. "

So basically if you have multiple Access Points and want to roam around your house with your wireless devices - DONT BUY THIS BOX IT WONT WORK as the core DHCP/Router

I am in the process of sending mine back and I won't be buying a Netgear ADSL Router again... They have had problems with their DHCP and routing when your home network is a bit more challenging for years I thought I'd see if they had improved - they haven't.