Can I use the same cables if I replace the power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bawsh

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello,

I built an HTPC and decided to test and install everything on my main computer's monitor before moving it to the home theater room. I unplugged my current computer's power cord and plugged in the HTPC. Realizing I forgot to copy some drivers, I plug my main computer back in. But when I pressed the power button, I heard a loud pop and the lights on my motherboard turned off. My computer was dead. I believe this was probably a blown capacitor the power supply since all the ones on my motherboard (ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z) looked fine. So now I have no choice but to swap the PSU out with a new one. My question is, if I buy the same unit (Thermaltake 1500W), can I just go ahead and unplug the cables from the dead PSU and plug them into the new one since this is a fully modular unit. Or would I have to use the cables that come with the new unit.

The reason I would like to know is because I would have to remove almost everything from the case to do this since my cables are routed in so many different places and all my components are water cooled.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
If you were to replace the unit (which should have a 5 year warranty) with the identical model, there is a very high likelyhood it'll work fine but, Thermaltake does not manufacture it's PSU line(s). That is contracted out to other companies, in the case of your PSU, (I believe it to be) the TP-1500M Toughpower 1500W which is (was) made by Enhance Electronics, as long as they do not make a part switch during the contract life (such as changing connector styles), you'll be fine using the same cables.
Hope it helps
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
If you were to replace the unit (which should have a 5 year warranty) with the identical model, there is a very high likelyhood it'll work fine but, Thermaltake does not manufacture it's PSU line(s). That is contracted out to other companies, in the case of your PSU, (I believe it to be) the TP-1500M Toughpower 1500W which is (was) made by Enhance Electronics, as long as they do not make a part switch during the contract life (such as changing connector styles), you'll be fine using the same cables.
Hope it helps

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS