Closed Solved

HD 7950 Locks Up on Idle

Hey guys,

A while back I had a problem with my computer locking up and becoming completely unresponsive if left to idle for a little while. You should check this thread here. I found that it was caused by my graphics card, and I believed it to be defective. However, upon RMA'ing it and receiving my new one, I find that it too has the exact same problem. I know it isn't my system because my system works perfectly when using a HD 6950 in it. My card also causes the same problem to occur in my other two systems.

My problem: My system stops responding if I leave it to idle for 20min - 1hour. I am forced to power off by holding the switch and restarting it. If I disable AMD FUEL service it works after idle, but comes up to a black screen where I can ctrl+alt+del to get to the lockscreen and continue work.

My build:
-Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
-GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950 3GB Graphics Card
-AMD FX-8120 Zambezi CPU
-Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB HDD
-OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
-Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W ATX PSU
-Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1866 MHz RAM

-Windows 7 SP1 x64

All help is appreciated.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7950 locks idle
  1. Ok. I think I solved it.

If anyone has the same problem and wants the solution, all I did was download the new beta 12.6 AMD drivers and uninstall my old ones and install those.
  2. Same exact problem for me. The 12.6 drivers have not fixed it however. For me, it only happens when I'm using dual monitors.
  3. Best answer
    I must correct myself! I installed the app profiles for 12.6, but not the drivers themselves. I used the 12.6 drivers and it hasn't happened in 3 days so far.
  4. Best answer selected by Atraii.
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics