Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Too hot?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2012 7:05:58 AM

I just finished my first build and I installed core temp and CPU ID to monitor my temps. I have no idea what good temps are for this system ( http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx... ) but my idle temps are in the high 40's / low 50's and I just installed borderlands 2 and I was hitting mid 70's - low 80's... this seems like it is way to high, can anyone tell me if this is normal? I'm just using the stock CPU fan and some arctic silver that i just applied 6-7 hours ago if that matters.

P.S. I swapped out the 1,000 Seasonic Platinum for a 750 Corsair.

More about : cpu hot

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 7:10:12 AM

that is a bit high you would be better reseating the heatsink as you could have air bubbles in the thermal compound.
December 8, 2012 7:12:48 AM

kenny3105 said:
that is a bit high you would be better reseating the heatsink as you could have air bubbles in the thermal compound.

I heard once you pick up the heatsink you need to re apply your paste because the seal is broken or something like that, would you recommend just taking off the heatsink and putting it back on or re doing my paste as well?

Also, i have been installing things since my computer turned on fine, would this be a factor in my temps?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 7:51:24 AM

yes re-apply your paste but try and smooth it out with a credit card across your cpu ensuring no part of your cpu has been missed but only use the thinnest ammount as too much can be bad for temps.

If your computer is idle your temps should decrease to its lowest point with it not being used but installing software will cause it to rise but not by much
m
l
December 8, 2012 6:28:35 PM

kenny3105 said:
yes re-apply your paste but try and smooth it out with a credit card across your cpu ensuring no part of your cpu has been missed but only use the thinnest ammount as too much can be bad for temps.

If your computer is idle your temps should decrease to its lowest point with it not being used but installing software will cause it to rise but not by much

Nothing else is installing and my idle temps are in the high 30's - low 40's just surfing the web, is this ok or should i still go along with re applying me heatsink? Also, gaming on borderlands 2 is still 70's and spikes into 80's when loading.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 6:41:54 PM

No! don't smooth it out with a credit card that is a bad no no. It actually creates air bubbles. The best and easiest way to apply the paste is the dot method. Just put a small dot in the middle and you are good. It spreads out when you put the heatsink in.

Here's what I mean:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/What-is-the-Best...

They have a comparison test at the end between all the methods.

Btw if you use the stock heat sink with your own arctic silver 5, You have to wipe all the pre applied paste on the heat sink off with alcohol or else you will get major air bubbles.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 6:45:50 PM

Schlect said:
Nothing else is installing and my idle temps are in the high 30's - low 40's just surfing the web, is this ok or should i still go along with re applying me heatsink? Also, gaming on borderlands 2 is still 70's and spikes into 80's when loading.

30's is fine for light use. But 80's is kind of high. But then again you are using the stock cooler, which is terrible. I recommend you get a new heat sink as soon as you can. Hyper 212 seems to be the thing right now
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 8:23:56 PM

Hi

If you bought a retail boxed intel cpu then the standard heat sink is ok providing you are not overclocking.
(how many case fans are there ?)
(looking at newegg shows a retail intel cpu)
The standard heatsinks usually have a copper slug which is embedded in the aluminium fins and thermal compound is already supplied
you just remove any plastic film protecting the base.

no need to add extra thermal compound.

If you added thermal compound on top of the original thermal compound you need to clean up the top of CPU & bottom of heat sink and start again

regard

Mike Barnes
m
l
December 8, 2012 9:59:55 PM

I pushed in my heatsink all of the way which seemed to be the problem, i'm getting high 40's - low 50's on maxed Borderlands 2.
m
l
December 10, 2012 9:29:35 PM

Best answer selected by Schlect.
m
l
!