How to Place a New Folder Under "My Computer" in the Hiera..

April 19, 2005 8:13:00 PM

I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP SP2,
so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.

When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the Windows
folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel," "Shared
Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."

I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place at
the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named above.
In other words, the list would look like this:

My Computer
Local Disk (C:)
Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
Control Panel
Shared Documents
My Business
Ethel's Documents

When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed there
along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Joan
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:13:01 PM

No can do, I'm afraid.
You cannot modify the My Computer basic hierarchy, only work within it.
That's why you cannot create a new folder at the level of Local Disk.
Best to rename Ethel's Documents "Ethel," or the umbrella name of your
choice.
Under Ethel, you can have the folders Ethel's Documents and My Business.

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP SP2,
> so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
>
> When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
> appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the Windows
> folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
"Shared
> Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
>
> I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place at
> the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
above.
> In other words, the list would look like this:
>
> My Computer
> Local Disk (C:)
> Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> Control Panel
> Shared Documents
> My Business
> Ethel's Documents
>
> When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed there
> along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
>
> How can I accomplish this?
>
> Thanks for all suggestions!
>
> Joan

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:13:02 PM

I agree with T. Waters that you "Can't" but it has been done.
How?
I dion't have a clue.

Somehow I have a Robert's Doucments that is even called a Local Disk and is
a "Ghost" of C drive that appears at the Computer level.
It does not affect the system and shows same drive size and free space as
C: in Computer view.
However checking properties it carries 0 bytes as size.
Moving, copying, deleting files/ folders in and out of C drive or Robert's
Documents is mirrored in the other drive/folder.
I can not delete this folder.

I have done chkdsk /f /r.
Chkdsk report no errors or problems.
I have booted into safe mode to command prompt but
Robert's Documents does not appear at any level

It does not appear in the registry.

I am guessing it is something in the MFT (using NTFS) that is seen as real,
but in fact does not exist.

"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>> folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
> "Shared
>> Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
>>
>> I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
>> logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place
>> at
>> the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
> above.
>> In other words, the list would look like this:
>>
>> My Computer
>> Local Disk (C:)
>> Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
>> Control Panel
>> Shared Documents
>> My Business
>> Ethel's Documents
>>
>> When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed there
>> along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."

April 19, 2005 10:48:33 PM

It's possible. Instructions here:

http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html

Keith

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message news:g6a9e.10508$ff4.4311@trndny08...
> I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP SP2,
> so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
>
> When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
> appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the Windows
> folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel," "Shared
> Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
>
> I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place at
> the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named above.
> In other words, the list would look like this:
>
> My Computer
> Local Disk (C:)
> Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> Control Panel
> Shared Documents
> My Business
> Ethel's Documents
>
> When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed there
> along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
>
> How can I accomplish this?
>
> Thanks for all suggestions!
>
> Joan

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:49:05 PM

It is a mystery to me why Microsoft would make its operating systems
progressively less logical and user friendly. Windows Me, for example, is
worse than Windows 98, and now Windows XP is less flexible (to say nothing
of less logical!) than Windows Me. I just don't get it.

Thanks for your reply nonetheless.

Joan

> No can do, I'm afraid.
> You cannot modify the My Computer basic hierarchy, only work within it.
> That's why you cannot create a new folder at the level of Local Disk.
> Best to rename Ethel's Documents "Ethel," or the umbrella name of your
> choice.
> Under Ethel, you can have the folders Ethel's Documents and My Business.
>
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP
SP2,
> > so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> > Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> > computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
> >
> > When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
> > appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the Windows
> > folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
> "Shared
> > Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
> >
> > I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> > logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place
at
> > the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
> above.
> > In other words, the list would look like this:
> >
> > My Computer
> > Local Disk (C:)
> > Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> > Control Panel
> > Shared Documents
> > My Business
> > Ethel's Documents
> >
> > When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed there
> > along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
> >
> > How can I accomplish this?
> >
> > Thanks for all suggestions!
> >
> > Joan

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:49:06 PM

Thanks for writing, T. Waters. You obviously know a lot more about what's
going on in your computer than I do. I just don't understand why Windows XP
is not more transparent.

I also have three "Administrator" accounts on my machine that I never
created, don't want there, and don't know where they came from. They're
called "Administrator," "Administrator HPLAPTOP," and Administrator
"HPLAPTOP.000." I hope they're having a nice time "administrating"!

Joan

"Baffled2" <somewhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:o y9FsDRRFHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > "Shared
> >> Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
> >>
> >> I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> >> logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place
> >> at
> >> the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
> > above.
> >> In other words, the list would look like this:
> >>
> >> My Computer
> >> Local Disk (C:)
> >> Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> >> Control Panel
> >> Shared Documents
> >> My Business
> >> Ethel's Documents
> >>
> >> When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed
there
> >> along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:49:06 PM

You are so right. Windows is a big ball of very tangled worms!
And it only gets worse with each incarnation of Windows because no
systematic rethinking has or ever will take place. Individual elements of
Windows may undergo radical change, but what holds Windows together as a
whole is basically the software equivalent of duct tape. Add to that the
phenomenon of "Microsoft Think," and you realize you are up against a more
intransigent opponent than any government or religion. I shudder to imagine
Windows 2020.

> It is a mystery to me why Microsoft would make its operating systems
> progressively less logical and user friendly. Windows Me, for example, is
> worse than Windows 98, and now Windows XP is less flexible (to say nothing
> of less logical!) than Windows Me. I just don't get it.
>
> Thanks for your reply nonetheless.
>
> Joan
>
> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
> > No can do, I'm afraid.
> > You cannot modify the My Computer basic hierarchy, only work within it.
> > That's why you cannot create a new folder at the level of Local Disk.
> > Best to rename Ethel's Documents "Ethel," or the umbrella name of your
> > choice.
> > Under Ethel, you can have the folders Ethel's Documents and My Business.
> >
> > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > > I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP
> SP2,
> > > so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> > > Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> > > computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
> > >
> > > When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
> > > appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the
Windows
> > > folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
> > "Shared
> > > Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
> > >
> > > I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> > > logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a
place
> at
> > > the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
> > above.
> > > In other words, the list would look like this:
> > >
> > > My Computer
> > > Local Disk (C:)
> > > Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> > > Control Panel
> > > Shared Documents
> > > My Business
> > > Ethel's Documents
> > >
> > > When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed
there
> > > along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
> > >
> > > How can I accomplish this?
> > >
> > > Thanks for all suggestions!
> > >
> > > Joan

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:38:07 AM

Dear Keith,

It'll take me some time to absorb and carefully follow the instructions that
your link directs me to. But I knew that if anyone could figure out how to
do what I want to do, it would be you. Many thanks!

Do you by any chance know why I now have three "administrators" listed under
Documents and Settings: "Administrator," "Administrator HPLAPTOP," and
"Administrator HPLAPTOP.000"? There's also a "Default User" thrown in there
for good measure. I'd like to give them the boot. Too many cooks . . .

Joan

"Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message
It's possible. Instructions here:

http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html

Keith

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP SP2,
> so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
>
> When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
> appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the Windows
> folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
"Shared
> Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
>
> I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place at
> the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
above.
> In other words, the list would look like this:
>
> My Computer
> Local Disk (C:)
> Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> Control Panel
> Shared Documents
> My Business
> Ethel's Documents
>
> When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed there
> along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
>
> How can I accomplish this?
>
> Thanks for all suggestions!
>
> Joan

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:38:08 AM

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message news:p vh9e.21606$nt3.2804@trndny04...
> Dear Keith,
>
> It'll take me some time to absorb and carefully follow the instructions that
> your link directs me to. But I knew that if anyone could figure out how to
> do what I want to do, it would be you. Many thanks!

You're welcome, but I didn't figure out how to do it, I just pointed you in the right direction :-)

> Do you by any chance know why I now have three "administrators" listed under
> Documents and Settings: "Administrator," "Administrator HPLAPTOP," and
> "Administrator HPLAPTOP.000"? There's also a "Default User" thrown in there
> for good measure. I'd like to give them the boot. Too many cooks . . .

You definitely need and should leave alone "Administrator" and "Default User". "Administrator HPLAPTOP" and "Administrator HPLAPTOP.000" I don't know about. Have you asked HP? Have you checked to see if they correspond to actual accounts? I definitely would not try deleting the folders until I had deleted the accounts.

Good Luck,
Keith

> "Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message
> It's possible. Instructions here:
>
> http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html
>
> Keith
>
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP SP2,
> > so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> > Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> > computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
> >
> > When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
> > appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the Windows
> > folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
> "Shared
> > Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
> >
> > I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> > logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place at
> > the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
> above.
> > In other words, the list would look like this:
> >
> > My Computer
> > Local Disk (C:)
> > Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> > Control Panel
> > Shared Documents
> > My Business
> > Ethel's Documents
> >
> > When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed there
> > along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
> >
> > How can I accomplish this?
> >
> > Thanks for all suggestions!
> >
> > Joan

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:43:09 PM

Right (re my multiple "administrators"). I'll give HP a call.

Best,

news:o wOH6FWRFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:p vh9e.21606$nt3.2804@trndny04...
> Dear Keith,
>
> It'll take me some time to absorb and carefully follow the instructions
that
> your link directs me to. But I knew that if anyone could figure out how to
> do what I want to do, it would be you. Many thanks!

You're welcome, but I didn't figure out how to do it, I just pointed you in
the right direction :-)

> Do you by any chance know why I now have three "administrators" listed
under
> Documents and Settings: "Administrator," "Administrator HPLAPTOP," and
> "Administrator HPLAPTOP.000"? There's also a "Default User" thrown in
there
> for good measure. I'd like to give them the boot. Too many cooks . . .

You definitely need and should leave alone "Administrator" and "Default
User". "Administrator HPLAPTOP" and "Administrator HPLAPTOP.000" I don't
know about. Have you asked HP? Have you checked to see if they correspond
to actual accounts? I definitely would not try deleting the folders until I
had deleted the accounts.

Good Luck,
Keith

> "Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote in message
> It's possible. Instructions here:
>
> http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html
>
> Keith
>
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP
SP2,
> > so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> > Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> > computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
> >
> > When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
> > appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the Windows
> > folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
> "Shared
> > Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
> >
> > I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> > logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place
at
> > the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
> above.
> > In other words, the list would look like this:
> >
> > My Computer
> > Local Disk (C:)
> > Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> > Control Panel
> > Shared Documents
> > My Business
> > Ethel's Documents
> >
> > When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed there
> > along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
> >
> > How can I accomplish this?
> >
> > Thanks for all suggestions!
> >
> > Joan

April 20, 2005 11:09:33 PM

Why make a folder called "My Business"? Make a shortcut to C: and
create a file with the name of what you're doing - create subfolders
within it if you need them.

```````````````````````

> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP SP2,
> > so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> > Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> > computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
> >
> > When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
> > appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the Windows
> > folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
> "Shared
> > Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
> >
> > I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> > logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place at
> > the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
> above.
> > In other words, the list would look like this:
> >
> > My Computer
> > Local Disk (C:)
> > Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> > Control Panel
> > Shared Documents
> > My Business
> > Ethel's Documents
> >
> > When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed there
> > along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
> >
> > How can I accomplish this?
> >
> > Thanks for all suggestions!
> >
> > Joan

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:40:28 PM

Could you explain this a little more? The reason I want to create a folder
called "My Business" at the same level of the Windows XP hierarchy as "My
Documents" is because my business folders are not a subcategory of "My
Documents." They are the records, correspondence, etc., of the institution
for which I work.

Joan

"sf" <sf@gEEmail.com> wrote in message

> Why make a folder called "My Business"? Make a shortcut to C: and
> create a file with the name of what you're doing - create subfolders
> within it if you need them.
>
> ```````````````````````
> >
> > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > > I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP
SP2,
> > > so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> > > Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> > > computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
> > >
> > > When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's
Documents,"
> > > appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the
Windows
> > > folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
> > "Shared
> > > Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
> > >
> > > I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> > > logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a
place at
> > > the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
> > above.
> > > In other words, the list would look like this:
> > >
> > > My Computer
> > > Local Disk (C:)
> > > Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> > > Control Panel
> > > Shared Documents
> > > My Business
> > > Ethel's Documents
> > >
> > > When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed
there
> > > along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
> > >
> > > How can I accomplish this?
> > >
> > > Thanks for all suggestions!
> > >
> > > Joan

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 5:32:06 AM

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP
>SP2,
> so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
>
> When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
> appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the
> Windows
> folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
> "Shared
> Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
>
> I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a
> place at
> the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
> above.
> In other words, the list would look like this:
>
> My Computer
> Local Disk (C:)
> Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> Control Panel
> Shared Documents
> My Business
> Ethel's Documents
>
> When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed
> there
> along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
>
> How can I accomplish this?
>
> Thanks for all suggestions!

I have created Folders in the My computer under the "Other" categories.
And it is quite simple, but you must edit the registry. Let me know and
I will walk it through to you.

--
William
Anonymous

--
Treeman
Anonymous

Dear Treeman,

That's exactly what I would like--the old Win98 Explorer view. And "dorky"
is indeed the word for this new My Computer setup.

Could you tell me where "Target" is?

Thanks!

Joan (a.k.a. Ethel)

"Treeman" <Treeman.1nycdm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Snipo[/QUOTE Wrote:
> >
> > Am I missing something? Can't Ethel just get rid of the My Computer
> > view by switching to Classic mode? Give Windows Explorer shortcut's in
> > "Target," the attribute of; %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\
> > It looks just like the old Win98 Explorer view without the dorky "My
> > Computer"
> > mess.
> > Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:57:02 PM

Dear William,

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to this newsgroup. I ran into a
very strange new problem the other day trying to install my HP PSC 950
all-in-one machine, and I'm still struggling with the chain of technical
events that that failed installation unleashed.

Because of that ongoing mess, I may not be able to get back to the hierarchy
question today. But I will get back to it eventually. Keith Miller has
directed me to the following Web page for instructions on creating a "shell"
folder: http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html. They're a bit
complicated, so I haven't tackled them yet.

It sounds like Treeman, below, has a relatively simple way to make the
Windows Explorer list look like the one in Windows 98. Maybe my best bet
would be to wait and hear back from him before I ask you to take the time to
send me your step-by-step instructions. In any case, many thanks for
writing, and I'll be back with a report on my progress.

Best,
Joan (a.k.a. Ethel)

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP
> >SP2,
> > so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
> > Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
> > computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
> >
> > When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
> > appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the
> > Windows
> > folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
> > "Shared
> > Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
> >
> > I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
> > logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a
> > place at
> > the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
> > above.
> > In other words, the list would look like this:
> >
> > My Computer
> > Local Disk (C:)
> > Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
> > Control Panel
> > Shared Documents
> > My Business
> > Ethel's Documents
> >
> > When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed
> > there
> > along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
> >
> > How can I accomplish this?
> >
> > Thanks for all suggestions!
> >

> I have created Folders in the My computer under the "Other" categories.
> And it is quite simple, but you must edit the registry. Let me know and
> I will walk it through to you.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:52:20 PM

Dear William,

I have, amazingly, managed to solve the installation problem I was grappling
with earlier today. I have also tried to follow the instructions at the
link,
http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html, about creating shell
folders. Those instructions are simply too complicated for me. I don't mind
editing the registry--I've done it at least once before--but I need very
specific and very clear instructions. I would be most grateful if you could
let me know what you did.

All best,
Joan

> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP SP2,
>> so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
>> Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
>> computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
>>
>> When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's Documents,"
>> appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the Windows
>> folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
>> "Shared
>> Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
>>
>> I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should not,
>> logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a place
>> at
>> the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
>> above.
>> In other words, the list would look like this:
>>
>> My Computer
>> Local Disk (C:)
>> Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
>> Control Panel
>> Shared Documents
>> My Business
>> Ethel's Documents
>>
>> When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed there
>> along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
>>
>> How can I accomplish this?
>>
>> Thanks for all suggestions!
>>

> I have created Folders in the My computer under the "Other" categories.
> And it is quite simple, but you must edit the registry. Let me know and I
> will walk it through to you.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:52:21 PM

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o jQbe.2320$oD6.1352@trndny07...

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>>I have customized my HP notebook (model ze4933us), running Windows XP
>>>SP2,
>>> so that "My Documents" does not appear on the folder list in Windows
>>> Explorer or My Computer. I am the only person who will ever use this
>>> computer, so my one user-administrator account is all I need.
>>>
>>> When I open Windows Explorer, my document folder, "Ethel's
>>> Documents,"
>>> appears on the list under "My Computer" at the same level of the
>>> Windows
>>> folder hierarchy as "Local Disk," the CD-RW drive, "Control Panel,"
>>> "Shared
>>> Documents," and "Ethel's Documents."
>>>
>>> I now want to create another folder, "My Business," which should
>>> not,
>>> logically, be placed under "Ethel's Documents," that would have a
>>> place at
>>> the same level of the hierarchy as the folders or devices I've named
>>> above.
>>> In other words, the list would look like this:
>>>
>>> My Computer
>>> Local Disk (C:)
>>> Drive D (the CD-RW drive)
>>> Control Panel
>>> Shared Documents
>>> My Business
>>> Ethel's Documents
>>>
>>> When I open "My Computer," I would like "My Business" to be listed
>>> there
>>> along with "Shared Documents" and "Ethel's Documents."
>>>
>>> How can I accomplish this?
>>>
>>> Thanks for all suggestions!
>>>

>> I have created Folders in the My computer under the "Other"
>> categories. And it is quite simple, but you must edit the registry.
>> Let me know and I will walk it through to you.
>>
> Dear William,
>
> I have, amazingly, managed to solve the installation problem I was
> grappling with earlier today. I have also tried to follow the
> instructions at the link,
> http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/ui_shell.html, about creating shell
> folders. Those instructions are simply too complicated for me. I don't
> mind editing the registry--I've done it at least once before--but I
> need very specific and very clear instructions. I would be most
> grateful if you could let me know what you did.

Hi,

I will give you step by step instructions, in how to created the "My
Business" folder located in My computer.

1. Create a Restore Point called "My Business Folder" with the quotes.
So if something goes wrong you can restore the registry.

2. Open the Registry Editor, to this go Start>Run and type "regedit"
without the quotes.

3. Navigate to the following key:
HKCR\CLSID

4. Right-click CLSID and select New>Key. Call this key
"{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}" without the quotes.

5. Highlight the key {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}. In the
right-hand pane double-click (default) and enter "My Business" without
the quotes.

6. Highlight the key {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}. In the
right-hand pane, right-click and select New>String Value. Rename this to
"InfoTip" without the quotes. Double-click InfoTip and enter the
description of the "My Business" Folder.

7. Highlight the key {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}. Right-click
{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and select New>Key. Call this key
"DefaultIcon" without the quotes.

8. Close the registry editor.

9. Open the command prompt by Start>Run and type "cmd" with out the
quotes.

10. Type "REG ADD
HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}\DefaultIcon /ve /t
REG_EXPAND_SZ /d shell32.dll,4" without the quotes.

11. Open the Registry editor and navigate back to
HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}.

12. Highlight the key {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}.
Right-click {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and select New>Key.
Call this key "InProcServer32" without the quotes.

13. Highlight the key InProcServer32. In the right-hand pane,
right-click and select New>String Value. Rename this to "ThreadingModel"
without the quotes. Double-click ThreadingModel and enter "Apartment"
without the quotes.

14. Close the registry editor.

15. Open the command prompt by Start>Run and type "cmd" with out the
quotes.

16. Type "REG ADD
HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}\InProcServer32 /ve /t
REG_EXPAND_SZ /d SHDocVw.dll" without the quotes.

17. Open the Registry editor and navigate back to
HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}.

18. Highlight the key {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}.
Right-click {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and select New>Key.
Call this key "Instance" without the quotes.

19. Highlight the key Instance. In the right-hand pane, right-click and
select New>String Value. Rename this to "CLSID" without the quotes.
Double-click CLSID and enter "{0AfACED1-E828-11D1-9187-B532F1E9575D}"
without the quotes.

20. Highlight the key Instance. Right-click Instance and select New>Key.
Call this key "InitPropertyBag" without the quotes.

21. Highlight the key InitPropertyBag. In the right-hand pane,
right-click and select New>DWORD Value. Rename this to "Attributes"
without the quotes. Double-click Attributes and select Hexadecimal then
enter "15" without the quotes.

22. Highlight the key InitPropertyBag. In the right-hand pane,
right-click and select New>Expandable String Value. Rename this to
"Target" without the quotes. Double-click Target and enter the location
of the MY Business folder (example, c:\my business).

23. Highlight the key {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}.
Right-click {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and select New>Key.
Call this key "ShellFolder" without the quotes.

24. Highlight the key ShellFolder. In the right-hand pane, right-click
and select New>DWORD Value. Rename this to "Attributes" without the
quotes. Double-click Attributes and select Hexadecimal then enter
"f8000110" without the quotes.

25. Highlight the key ShellFolder. In the right-hand pane, right-click
and select New>String Value. Rename this to "WantsFORPARSING" without
the quotes. Double-click WantsFORPARSING and do not enter anything, it
should be blank.

26. Navigate to this key if you want the My Business Folder only shown
in your user account:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

or Navigate to the key if you want the My Business Folder shown in all
user accounts.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

27. Highlight the key NameSpace. Right-click NameSpace and select
New>Key. Call this key "{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}" without
the quotes.

28. If you want the My Business Folder shown on the Desktop, Navigate to
this key if you want the My Business Folder only shown in your user
account.
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

or Navigate to the key if you want the My Business Folder shown in all
user accounts.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

29. Highlight the key NameSpace. Right-click NameSpace and select
New>Key. Call this key "{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}" without
the quotes.

Good Luck

--
William
Anonymous

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> user accounts.
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace
>
> 27. Highlight the key NameSpace. Right-click NameSpace and select
> New>Key. Call this key "{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
> without the quotes.
>
> 28. If you want the My Business Folder shown on the Desktop, Navigate
> to this key if you want the My Business Folder only shown in your user
> account.
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
>
> or Navigate to the key if you want the My Business Folder shown in all
> user accounts.
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
>
> 29. Highlight the key NameSpace. Right-click NameSpace and select
> New>Key. Call this key "{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"

Once you decide on this:

"26. Navigate to this key if you want the My Business Folder only shown
in your user account:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

or Navigate to the key if you want the My Business Folder shown in all
user accounts.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

27. Highlight the key NameSpace. Right-click NameSpace and select
New>Key. Call this key "{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}" without
the quotes."

Open the command prompt by Start>Run and type "cmd' without the quotes,
then type

REG DELETE
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
/va

or
REG DELETE
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
/va

Once you decide on this:

"28. If you want the My Business Folder shown on the Desktop, Navigate
to this key if you want the My Business Folder only shown in your user
account.
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

or Navigate to the key if you want the My Business Folder shown in all
user accounts.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

29. Highlight the key NameSpace. Right-click NameSpace and select
New>Key. Call this key "{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}" without
the quotes."

Open the command prompt by Start>Run and type "cmd' without the quotes,
then type

REG DELETE
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
/va

or
REG DELETE
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
/va

--
William
Anonymous

Dear William,

It is incredibly nice of you to take the time to spell out these
instructions in such detail. I will print them out and follow every step
VERY CAREFULLY.

Many, many thanks. I'll report back tomorrow on my progress.

All best,
Joan

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o jk18W2SFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>
> or Navigate to the key if you want the My Business Folder shown in all
> user accounts.
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
>
> 29. Highlight the key NameSpace. Right-click NameSpace and select New>Key.
> Call this key "{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}" without the
> quotes."
>
> Open the command prompt by Start>Run and type "cmd' without the quotes,
> then type
>
> REG DELETE
> "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
> /va
>
> or
> REG DELETE
> "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:56:19 PM

Joan,

FYI: Shell Object Editor automates the entire procedure:
http://www.tropictech.de/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile...

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> [...]
>>
>> or Navigate to the key if you want the My Business Folder shown in all
>> user accounts.
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
>>
>> 29. Highlight the key NameSpace. Right-click NameSpace and select
>> New>Key. Call this key "{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}" without
>> the quotes."
>>
>> Open the command prompt by Start>Run and type "cmd' without the quotes,
>> then type
>>
>> REG DELETE
>> "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
>> /va
>>
>> or
>> REG DELETE
>> "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:59:45 PM

Dear William,

I have just gotten stuck on step 10 of your instructions. First I tried
typing "ADD REG" (without the quotes) on its own line, as it appears below,
and then pressed ENTER. I got the message "Error: Too few command-line
parameters."

Then I typed everything in without pressing RETURN until the end (with one
word space--i.e., one blank space the size of a letter--after "DefaultIcon,"
"/ve," "/t," and "REG_EXPAND_SZ), and I got the message "Error: Invalid
command-line parameters."

I have obviously done something wrong, but I don't know what. Do you have
any idea?

Thanks!

Joan

> [...]
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
>
> or Navigate to the key if you want the My Business Folder shown in all
> user accounts.
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
>
> 29. Highlight the key NameSpace. Right-click NameSpace and select
> New>Key. Call this key "{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}" without
> the quotes."
>
> Open the command prompt by Start>Run and type "cmd' without the quotes,
> then type
>
> REG DELETE

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\5
5028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
> /va
>
> or
> REG DELETE

"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\5

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:59:46 PM

> Dear William,
>
> I have just gotten stuck on step 10 of your instructions. First I
> tried
> typing "ADD REG" (without the quotes) on its own line, as it appears
> below,
> and then pressed ENTER. I got the message "Error: Too few command-line
> parameters."
>
> Then I typed everything in without pressing RETURN until the end (with
> one
> word space--i.e., one blank space the size of a letter--after
> "DefaultIcon,"
> "/ve," "/t," and "REG_EXPAND_SZ), and I got the message "Error:
> Invalid
> command-line parameters."
>
> I have obviously done something wrong, but I don't know what. Do you
> have
> any idea?
>
> Thanks!

When typing in the command there is spaces I will mark these spaces with
(SP). For example "A(SP)B" will be "A B". Also the command is one line,
the beginning of the command I will mark with [ and the end with ] (do
not include [or] in the command.

[REG(SP)ADD(SP)HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}\DefaultIcon(SP)/ve(SP)/t(SP)REG_EXPAND_SZ(SP)/d(SP)shell32.dll,4]

the complete command would be:

REG ADD HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}\DefaultIcon
/ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d shell32.dll,4.

I am attaching a file, change the file name to "regcommand.cmd" from
"regcommand.txt" and double-click to import.

Also, could you export the Registry Key if you are still getting this
error. The key would be
HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}. Highlight the key
{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and right-click then Export. When
attaching to the post, change the extention to txt from reg.

--
William

begin 666 regcommand.txt
M4D5'($%$1"!(2T-27$-,4TE$7'LU-3 R.$1%02U%038R+31C-68M03%&,RTY
M1#$R,T1&045$03%]7$1E9F%U;'1)8V]N("]V92 O="!214=?15A004Y$7U-:
1("]D('-H96QL,S(N9&QL+#0`
`
end
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:00:33 PM

Thank you, Ramesh. I just got stuck on step 10 of the instructions sent by
William--no doubt because of a mistake that I made and not because of his
instructions. Maybe I should try the automated version!

Joan

> [...]
> >> account.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

> >> or Navigate to the key if you want the My Business Folder shown in all
> >> user accounts.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

> >> 29. Highlight the key NameSpace. Right-click NameSpace and select
> >> the quotes."
> >>
> >> Open the command prompt by Start>Run and type "cmd' without the quotes,
> >> then type
> >>
> >> REG DELETE

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\5
5028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
> >> /va
> >>
> >> or
> >> REG DELETE

"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\5

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:00:34 PM

> Thank you, Ramesh. I just got stuck on step 10 of the instructions
> sent by
> William--no doubt because of a mistake that I made and not because of
> his
> instructions. Maybe I should try the automated version!

If you want to do it this way, simply go back into the registry and the
delete the key:
HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}.

Highlight the key {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and right-click
then select delete. Or use system restore and select the restore point
you created in Step 1.

--
William
Anonymous

Thanks, William. I haven't tried the "automated" process that Ramesh
suggested yet, because I wanted to wait and hear from you first. I've left
things exactly as they were when I got those error messages from the DOS
window. I'm more than willing to continue following your instructions, but
we'd have to figure out what I did wrong at step 10 first.

Would you let me know what you think when you have a moment?

Many thanks.

Joan

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o kJcRNCTFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Thank you, Ramesh. I just got stuck on step 10 of the instructions sent
>> by
>> William--no doubt because of a mistake that I made and not because of his
>> instructions. Maybe I should try the automated version!
>

> If you want to do it this way, simply go back into the registry and the
> delete the key:
> HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}.
>
> Highlight the key {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and right-click
> then select delete. Or use system restore and select the restore point you
> created in Step 1.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:09:05 PM

Sorry, I answered your first message before I realized there was another
one. I'll take it from here, understanding that there should be no word
spaces unless you so indicate by "(SP)." Sorry to be such a pain!

Joan

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o cu6$JCTFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Dear William,
>>
>> I have just gotten stuck on step 10 of your instructions. First I tried
>> typing "ADD REG" (without the quotes) on its own line, as it appears
>> below,
>> and then pressed ENTER. I got the message "Error: Too few command-line
>> parameters."
>>
>> Then I typed everything in without pressing RETURN until the end (with
>> one
>> word space--i.e., one blank space the size of a letter--after
>> "DefaultIcon,"
>> "/ve," "/t," and "REG_EXPAND_SZ), and I got the message "Error: Invalid
>> command-line parameters."
>>
>> I have obviously done something wrong, but I don't know what. Do you have
>> any idea?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> When typing in the command there is spaces I will mark these spaces with
> (SP). For example "A(SP)B" will be "A B". Also the command is one line,
> the beginning of the command I will mark with [ and the end with ] (do not
> include [or] in the command.
>
> [REG(SP)ADD(SP)HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}\DefaultIcon(SP)/ve(SP)/t(SP)REG_EXPAND_SZ(SP)/d(SP)shell32.dll,4]
>
> the complete command would be:
>
> REG ADD HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}\DefaultIcon /ve
> /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d shell32.dll,4.
>
> I am attaching a file, change the file name to "regcommand.cmd" from
> "regcommand.txt" and double-click to import.
>
> Also, could you export the Registry Key if you are still getting this
> error. The key would be HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}.
> Highlight the key {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and right-click
> then Export. When attaching to the post, change the extention to txt from
> reg.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:21:10 PM

This time I got the message "Operation completed successfully"!! I've
downloaded and saved the regcommand.txt --> regcommand.cmd file, as you
suggested. But do I need that now?

Joan

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o cu6$JCTFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Dear William,
>>
>> I have just gotten stuck on step 10 of your instructions. First I tried
>> typing "ADD REG" (without the quotes) on its own line, as it appears
>> below,
>> and then pressed ENTER. I got the message "Error: Too few command-line
>> parameters."
>>
>> Then I typed everything in without pressing RETURN until the end (with
>> one
>> word space--i.e., one blank space the size of a letter--after
>> "DefaultIcon,"
>> "/ve," "/t," and "REG_EXPAND_SZ), and I got the message "Error: Invalid
>> command-line parameters."
>>
>> I have obviously done something wrong, but I don't know what. Do you have
>> any idea?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> When typing in the command there is spaces I will mark these spaces with
> (SP). For example "A(SP)B" will be "A B". Also the command is one line,
> the beginning of the command I will mark with [ and the end with ] (do not
> include [or] in the command.
>
> [REG(SP)ADD(SP)HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}\DefaultIcon(SP)/ve(SP)/t(SP)REG_EXPAND_SZ(SP)/d(SP)shell32.dll,4]
>
> the complete command would be:
>
> REG ADD HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}\DefaultIcon /ve
> /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d shell32.dll,4.
>
> I am attaching a file, change the file name to "regcommand.cmd" from
> "regcommand.txt" and double-click to import.
>
> Also, could you export the Registry Key if you are still getting this
> error. The key would be HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}.
> Highlight the key {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and right-click
> then Export. When attaching to the post, change the extention to txt from
> reg.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:21:11 PM

> This time I got the message "Operation completed successfully"!! I've
> downloaded and saved the regcommand.txt --> regcommand.cmd file, as
> you suggested. But do I need that now?

No you do not, the file was the same command that you just typed.

--
William
Anonymous

Okay, I'm finally at the second part of step 27, in the DOS screen. Because
I opted to have "My Business" shown only in my user account (which opens
automatically every time I turn the machine on, without my having to make
any choices at a Welcome screen), I chose to type:
REG DELETE
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
/va

Actually, what I did was copy and paste your exact text, after removing the
little "return" symbols that are created by word wrap (or lack of it?).
Anyway, they're little paragraph-type symbols that are visible when you copy
the text of an e-mail into MS Word and turn click the Show/Hide Paragraph
button.

When I click Enter, cmd.exe says, "Error: Invalid key name." Maybe I'm
supposed to be deleting the HKCU . . . key?

Joan

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o ehyNlCTFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> This time I got the message "Operation completed successfully"!! I've
>> downloaded and saved the regcommand.txt --> regcommand.cmd file, as you
>> suggested. But do I need that now?
>>

> No you do not, the file was the same command that you just typed.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:15:58 AM

> Okay, I'm finally at the second part of step 27, in the DOS screen.
> Because I opted to have "My Business" shown only in my user account
> (which opens automatically every time I turn the machine on, without
> my having to make any choices at a Welcome screen), I chose to type:
> REG DELETE
> "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
> /va
>
> Actually, what I did was copy and paste your exact text, after
> removing the little "return" symbols that are created by word wrap (or
> lack of it?). Anyway, they're little paragraph-type symbols that are
> visible when you copy the text of an e-mail into MS Word and turn
> click the Show/Hide Paragraph button.
>
> When I click Enter, cmd.exe says, "Error: Invalid key name." Maybe I'm
> supposed to be deleting the HKCU . . . key?

There was an mistake in the line, missing a "{", sorry about that.

If you want this only in your User Account this would be that command to
type:

REG(SP)DELETE(SP)"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"(SP)/va

--
William
Anonymous

My God, there's no need to apologize after everything you've done to pull me
through this. I have to run to dinner right now, but I want you to know how
very much I appreciate your wonderful help.

Now, say I wanted to create another one of these guys . . . Not that I
necessarily have that much courage. I'm assuming that I would have to change
the big long number that's inside the curly brackets. Is there a place
on-line that one goes to to find such number-letter combinations? It all
seems like magic to me!

Joan

> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Okay, I'm finally at the second part of step 27, in the DOS screen.
>> Because I opted to have "My Business" shown only in my user account
>> (which opens automatically every time I turn the machine on, without my
>> having to make any choices at a Welcome screen), I chose to type:
>> REG DELETE
>> "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
>> /va
>>
>> Actually, what I did was copy and paste your exact text, after removing
>> the little "return" symbols that are created by word wrap (or lack of
>> it?). Anyway, they're little paragraph-type symbols that are visible when
>> you copy the text of an e-mail into MS Word and turn click the Show/Hide
>> Paragraph button.
>>
>> When I click Enter, cmd.exe says, "Error: Invalid key name." Maybe I'm
>> supposed to be deleting the HKCU . . . key?
>>

> There was an mistake in the line, missing a "{", sorry about that.
>
> If you want this only in your User Account this would be that command to
> type:
>
> REG(SP)DELETE(SP)"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"(SP)/va
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 2:02:24 AM

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:p 3dce.2189$pc7.69@trndny05...
> My God, there's no need to apologize after everything you've done to
> pull me through this. I have to run to dinner right now, but I want
> you to know how very much I appreciate your wonderful help.
>
> Now, say I wanted to create another one of these guys . . . Not that I
> necessarily have that much courage. I'm assuming that I would have to
> change the big long number that's inside the curly brackets. Is there
> a place on-line that one goes to to find such number-letter
> combinations? It all seems like magic to me!

So everything is working well?

And you are very welcome.

If you do this next time, create a similar ID number.
HKCR\CLSID\{CreateNumber}. I hope that make sense.

Easier way next time.

Go to HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and right-click
on {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and then choose export. Save
the file. Then right click on the file you just exported and select
"Edit". When exporting a Registry file, you are not deleting anything
from the Registry.

Then change the CLSID {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} to a new id
in the file that you just exported. Making sure that the number you
choose it not in use. Verify the ID number is not in use by looking at
HKCR\CLSID. Then just double click on the exported file (this will
import the file into the registry) and your new folder will be created.

You will have to manually enter the New ID in:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

--
William
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 2:02:25 AM

> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:p 3dce.2189$pc7.69@trndny05...
>> My God, there's no need to apologize after everything you've done to
>> pull me through this. I have to run to dinner right now, but I want
>> you to know how very much I appreciate your wonderful help.
>>
>> Now, say I wanted to create another one of these guys . . . Not that
>> I necessarily have that much courage. I'm assuming that I would have
>> to change the big long number that's inside the curly brackets. Is
>> there a place on-line that one goes to to find such number-letter
>> combinations? It all seems like magic to me!
>>

> So everything is working well?
>
> And you are very welcome.
>
> If you do this next time, create a similar ID number.
> HKCR\CLSID\{CreateNumber}. I hope that make sense.
>
> Easier way next time.
>
> Go to HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and
> right-click on {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and then choose
> export. Save the file. Then right click on the file you just exported
> and select "Edit". When exporting a Registry file, you are not
> deleting anything from the Registry.
>
> Then change the CLSID {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} to a new
> id in the file that you just exported. Making sure that the number you
> choose it not in use. Verify the ID number is not in use by looking at
> HKCR\CLSID. Then just double click on the exported file (this will
> import the file into the registry) and your new folder will be
> created.

I failed to mention some other things you would have to modify in the
exported reg file.
Thing also to modify:
Location of the folder.
Description of the Folder.
Name of the Folder.

> You will have to manually enter the New ID in:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

--
William
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:33:05 PM

When I entered the correct command,

REG DELETE
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
/va

cmd.exe asks, "Delete all values under the registry key
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}
<Y/N>?

I clicked Y and Enter. Then the message was:
Error: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value. I
tried it several times and kept getting the same result.

Joan

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Okay, I'm finally at the second part of step 27, in the DOS screen.
>> Because I opted to have "My Business" shown only in my user account
>> (which opens automatically every time I turn the machine on, without my
>> having to make any choices at a Welcome screen), I chose to type:
>> REG DELETE
>> "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
>> /va
>>
>> Actually, what I did was copy and paste your exact text, after removing
>> the little "return" symbols that are created by word wrap (or lack of
>> it?). Anyway, they're little paragraph-type symbols that are visible when
>> you copy the text of an e-mail into MS Word and turn click the Show/Hide
>> Paragraph button.
>>
>> When I click Enter, cmd.exe says, "Error: Invalid key name." Maybe I'm
>> supposed to be deleting the HKCU . . . key?
>>

> There was an mistake in the line, missing a "{", sorry about that.
>
> If you want this only in your User Account this would be that command to
> type:
>
> REG(SP)DELETE(SP)"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"(SP)/va
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:33:06 PM

> When I entered the correct command,
>
> REG DELETE
> "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}"
> /va
>
> cmd.exe asks, "Delete all values under the registry key
> Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1}
> <Y/N>?
>
> I clicked Y and Enter. Then the message was:
> Error: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or
> value. I tried it several times and kept getting the same result.

I do not why, you must have done everything correctly if it is all
working. I would guess there is nothing to delete under that key which
is a good thing. Have you look under that key manually and see if the
(default) is empty? I would not worry about it. I will be going away for
a couple of days, so if there is any problems please let me know.

And you're welcome.

--
William
Anonymous

Thanks for both these last two messages, William. The folder I (we!) created
is indeed where I want it to be in the Windows Explorer hierarchy, right
there under My Computer. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw it! But I
still have not succeeded at deleting that HKCU registry key, as described in
my earlier message.

So how does one come to know so much about editing the Windows registry? It
seems incredibly arcane.

Joan

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> news:p 3dce.2189$pc7.69@trndny05...
>>> My God, there's no need to apologize after everything you've done to
>>> pull me through this. I have to run to dinner right now, but I want you
>>> to know how very much I appreciate your wonderful help.
>>>
>>> Now, say I wanted to create another one of these guys . . . Not that I
>>> necessarily have that much courage. I'm assuming that I would have to
>>> change the big long number that's inside the curly brackets. Is there a
>>> place on-line that one goes to to find such number-letter combinations?
>>> It all seems like magic to me!
>>>

>> So everything is working well?
>>
>> And you are very welcome.
>>
>> If you do this next time, create a similar ID number.
>> HKCR\CLSID\{CreateNumber}. I hope that make sense.
>>
>> Easier way next time.
>>
>> Go to HKCR\CLSID\{55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and right-click
>> on {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} and then choose export. Save
>> the file. Then right click on the file you just exported and select
>> "Edit". When exporting a Registry file, you are not deleting anything
>> from the Registry.
>>
>> Then change the CLSID {55028DEA-EA62-4c5f-A1F3-9D123DFAEDA1} to a new id
>> in the file that you just exported. Making sure that the number you
>> choose it not in use. Verify the ID number is not in use by looking at
>> HKCR\CLSID. Then just double click on the exported file (this will import
>> the file into the registry) and your new folder will be created.
>
> I failed to mention some other things you would have to modify in the
> exported reg file.
> Thing also to modify:
> Location of the folder.
> Description of the Folder.
> Name of the Folder.
>
>> You will have to manually enter the New ID in:
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace
>>

> --
> William

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:43:14 PM

> Thanks for both these last two messages, William. The folder I (we!)
> created is indeed where I want it to be in the Windows Explorer
> hierarchy, right there under My Computer. I could hardly believe my
> eyes when I saw it! But I still have not succeeded at deleting that
> HKCU registry key, as described in my earlier message.
>
> So how does one come to know so much about editing the Windows
> registry? It seems incredibly arcane.

You're welcome. I just have some experience but still learning.

--
William
Anonymous

Sounds good to me, William. You've been great. Enjoy your weekend!

All best,
Joan

!