Computer doesn't load to wiindows often

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have a desktop with Q8200 CPU, 4 GB DDR2 RAM (PC6400U) on a gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2D motherboard. Recently, I have been experiencing problems when I start the computer; namely after the initial startup screen (with the IDE check and bios menu entry options like "press del for bios setup", etc the computer doesn't load to windows and stays there. Pressing bios setup doesn't help either... never enters bios setup.

I notşced that the Channel 1 IDE Master (where the DVD ROM device is connected to) displays weird characters that look like small sized "L"s.... Don't know if it is related though....

As I said, I tried entering bios setup out of desperation at one point but it didn't load either... just said loading setup forever...

Weirdest of all is that after 4 consecutive shutting down and opening the computer again, it loaded to windows without any problems....

I need to know if it is software or hardware related, the latter being more likely... In the case of hardware, I need to determine which of the hardware is the cause of the fault so that I may replace it with another....

I am considering upgrading some the things inside the desktop.... Obviously I want to reuse as many parts as possible hence why I need to determine which parts are causing the problems... Do you guys know of any diagnostic software for different hardwares?

PS: At this point I am considering replacing the motherboard with a ddr3 compatible one, getting 4-8 GB of RAM and getting a graphics card suitable for gaming but one that will not bottleneck the CPU... My PSu is 350W so I will have to get a new one for sure if I am to use a good graphics card.

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

many thanks for your reply :) Does this capacitor problem pose any threats for the standard operation of the computer (once it loads onto windows)? I am trying to determine whether I should keep using the computer until I change the motherboard and such...

Also, are there any software that I can use to make sure that none of the other hardware are at fault (I heard there was something called memtest for RAM modules for example)...