Sign in with
Your question

Intel OC noob, odd problem(s)

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 9:09:43 AM

Hey guys,
I have been working on a mod for some time now, I recently switched from a BD build to an Intel. I am using a core i5 3570K with an Asrock OC formula motherboard. I've always been a big AMD fan, but as you can see I have come to the dark side.

The rest of the specs are as follows:
32GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 memory
2X HD 6950
NZXT Hale 90 750W Gold PSU

I haven't installed a hard drive yet, so no OS or any of that stuff. No other optical drives either. Can't think of anything else that might be relevant, but you'll remind me if I've forgotten something, yes?

So I finally got my loops done and took care of all leaks and whatnot. So about a week ago I was quite excited to fire up my new beast and see what it can do.

Once I was able to get video out, I then started tweaking the BIOS. I didn't do much, since I am unfamiliar with the latest Intel systems. But I wanted to see if I could do some mild overclocking.

I decided to use the Nick Shih profiles out of the box, just to see what kinds of things were there and how high I could go.

Anyway the profiles worked great and I was able to overclock easily. I even reached above 4.8 Ghz, which I was told was not going to be possible.

Fast forward to a week later. The last few days I have tried to get the overclocking working, but to no avail. When I try the overclocking profiles (auto oc) , instead of implementing them on reboot the CPU remains at 3.4Ghz. The system will now not implement the changes in the multiplier, regardless of whether I change the multi manually or by the OC profiles. I have tried any number of different settings, such as disabling speed step, turbo, etc, etc. I can not seem to get the overclocking working again.

Except for one thing, I can change the BCLK and those changes will be implemented upon reboot. So I got it up to around 3.6 Ghz, but my understanding is that Ivy bridge doesn't really OC well that way.

I've been overclocking for a few years and I feel under most circumstances that I know what I'm doing and I'm confidant in my knowledge and abilities. But Intel overclocking is new to me. I am certain that there is a setting of some kind that I'm missing, that I need to change in BIOS but I've put about 6 hours into it and can't seem to find it...

I have reset the BIOS to defaults so that I can start from scratch but that hasn't helped me find the setting I need. Its prolly something simple that I just didn't know what to look for. I have googled for some answers but haven't found any yet. Thanks for reading this rather long explanation--

buzznut

More about : intel noob odd problem

a c 78 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 1:04:30 PM

Not the biggest intel guy in the world but not implementing your BIOS inputs sounds like a board issue to me.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 2:08:51 PM

I agree, sounds like a board issue - have you tried removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS, and started over?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 5:52:43 PM

payturr said:
I agree, sounds like a board issue - have you tried removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS, and started over?

No I haven't, but I will. I have reset the BIOS however. I'm not sure why it would be a board issue, the overclocking worked a week ago. And the BCLK overclocking works fine. I'll give it a shot though.
m
l
!