Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my system safe to upgrade?

Last response: in Systems
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 4:54:07 PM

OMG I'm so tired being travelling all day alone :( 
BTW I just went our main city (Colombo) and bought a new PSU and RMA(ed) my graphics card for a new one too (withdrew all my money from both bank accounts for that). Hmm so finally now I have a fresh 500W Cooler master extreme series PSU and my HD 5570 again. Well I still never touched em out of the box because before that I just wanted to know am I really in a safety condition for fitting them to the system. I do not think our house wiring has any errors because there are no sparks or any wattage problem and even all the other appliances working super well except my computer which is going ill per every few months :\
I want to know can my motherboard cause anything to the new graphic card if I fit it?
Or any other thing such as main power cables and wire cords maybe doing this disasters? (I don't have an UPS[never had :p ] but I connected all my monitor, speakers and PC into a surge protected multi socket)
If they are fine can I just replace my china PSU with the new one and fit the GPU now?

My previous thread related to this question>> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/355075-31-booting-gra...

More about : system safe upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 5:03:00 PM

The 5570 is not a high end card; it may not require a separate lead from the ps (but don't take my word for it). The power supply you chose should run your system easily. And the 5570 should run on your foxconn board. Here's a review: http://www.techspot.com/review/245-ati-radeon-hd-5570/
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 5:40:50 PM

Thanks but I need more details about my whole question...Is it safe to use just a surge protected power multi socket instead of an UPS? And do u think my PC will run smoothly after replacing that PSU? Because as I said earlier I have experienced more than 100 breakdowns with my all time PCs...they all had normal china PSUs so the motherboards, Graphic cards or hard drives will stop working quickly....
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 6:56:10 PM

If you've had that many issues, it might be easier to try a new motherboard (if you can change one out yourself). I can't recommend another g41 board; I've never used a board with this chipset. Can't advice on your electrical problems; I'm not an electrician. From what I've read, the UPS works better than the multi socket surge protector. I use a cheap surge protector, and the thunderstorms in texas where I live are awesome. One night my pc rebooted about a dozen times while answering a post here; had to start over each time, but the pc was undamaged.
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 7:33:16 PM

Oh but I never experienced such things because our home TRIP switch will quickly turn off if such thing is gonna happen. And the changing motherboard thing is pretty awkward because I used many mobos earlier and they all ended up in the same situation where not working after a year or so...Anyways thanks for trynna help me out so I'm gonna try my new PSU soon...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 11:39:59 AM

OMG I can't believe damn :( 
I just connected my new coolerMaster PSU to the system and here is the monitoring data from HWMonitor

Hardware monitor ITE IT87
Voltage 0 1.17 Volts [0x49] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.62 Volts [0x65] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 3.01 Volts [0xBC] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 5.08 Volts [0xBD] (+5V)
Voltage 4 13.38 Volts [0xD1] (+12V)
Voltage 5 -8.51 Volts [0x85] (-12V)
Voltage 6 -8.51 Volts [0x85] (-5V)
Voltage 7 5.05 Volts [0xBC] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage 8 3.12 Volts [0xC3] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 43°C (109°F) [0x2B] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 36°C (96°F) [0x24] (TMPIN1)
Fan 1 2360 RPM [0x11E] (FANIN1)
Fan PWM 0 50 pc [0x40] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 50 pc [0x40] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 50 pc [0x40] (FANPWM2)
Register space LPC, base address = 0x0A10

So look at the highlighted value...Is it safe that way? What's wrong with my system...or something wrong with HWMonitor? Because when I look at the values in BIOS it shows that +12 line as 11.98...Please help me quick otherwise my graphic card will burn again :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 12:09:54 PM

I would trust the bios reading for the 12v in this case; some software programs have glitches; they're designed to work with several motherboards and one or more readings may not be accurate. I've had similar issues with temp monitor programs; I stopped using them. Coolermaster is a major brand of ps; though not top rated, I doubt they would release a ps if it were off by that much. The accuracy standard is +/- .5 percent. 13.38 would be over this standard.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 2:28:51 PM

Ok so I have fixed everything up at the last though got an one last question. I think you already knew about HD 5570 so here's what GPU Z shows about my one.

ROPs - 4 (instead of 8)
Pixel Fillrate - 2.6Gpixels/s
Texture Fillrate - 10.4Gtexels/s (instead of 13.5)
Bandwidth - 25.6GB/s (instead of 28.8)
Shaders - 320 unified (instead of 400)

I have updated all to latest drivers and games also plays well...my RAM bus is 1333 but CPU bus is 800Mhz...And as long as I know G41MD motherboard has a PCI-E x16 2.0 slot but GPU Z state it as 1.1....Why?

And thanks so much for helping :) 

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 6:06:23 PM

Sorry I can't help you there. That low pci-e rating will be a limitation of the motherboard g41 chipset; not much you can do about that; not worth changing the board and cpu over; I do know you won't notice any real world difference between the two standards. Enjoy your upgrades.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 6:56:16 PM

Best answer selected by pasanwc.
m
l
!