Sign in with
Your question

Noctua NH-D14 wrong direction...

Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2012 9:13:31 AM

Hi, I installed my cpu cooler without thinking about the position of it:
http://imageshack.us/a/img259/8173/img3672b.jpg

Is it possible to unscrew it then install it pushing air towards case fan?
And do I have to put on other thermal paste?
Or can I just install and use the same(I mean i've used it only for one week...)
And I cant access the PCIE 3.0 X16 slot cuz of this position it is in...
Thanks in advance
December 8, 2012 9:40:57 AM

u are fine with these intallation i have fx 8150 and thermalright silver arrow too bad for me that i cant adjust my cooler just like u noctua i think this is the best one so that u can easily access to ram slot too without blocking one of them
December 8, 2012 9:47:34 AM

Probs have to remove it and apply new thermal paste, or if its fresh enough leave it.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 11:00:12 AM

As long as you remove the padding from the top exhaust vent (or even use it with a fan, looks like you are using a Define Mini) you should be fine, otherwise readjust the heatsink and remember to clean and apply new thermal paste.
December 8, 2012 6:13:13 PM

I am using the Define R4 ;)  not Mini - but so I dont have to remove my motherboard? - I can just turn the heatsink? - and I need to remove exhaust fan or is it necessary in the Define R4?
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 9:37:20 PM

themufos said:
I am using the Define R4 ;)  not Mini - but so I dont have to remove my motherboard? - I can just turn the heatsink? - and I need to remove exhaust fan or is it necessary in the Define R4?

Yes, you can just turn it, but do remember to apply new thermal paste, if you do not, you will likely get air bubbles caught between the CPU and heatsink, that is why you need to reapply, even if the heatsink has just been removed briefly.

You will still want to run the rear exhaust fan to remove hot air from the case and improve air flow.

Edit:
And yes, looking at it again, I can see that it is the Define, just took a quick look before and just noticed the top 4 white pci brackets =) well, brainfart hehe
!