My CPU just reached 99 degrees!!

kristusea

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Ok my CPU temperature goes way to high when i render something with indigo and i'm using the stock coller that came with it....btw its an Intel Core i7-870....is this normal while rendering?

manub

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

First check for any dirt accumulations in the heatsink/CPU fan. Check if the fan is properly placed on the CPU. If everythings fine apply a new thermal paste( remove the old paste first). You should apply the RIGHT amount of paste, not too much and not too little. If you don't know how to do it, there are a lot of other posts that tell you how to apply thermal paste properly.

dillonthebest

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
How can the CPU turn 99 degrees. It isnt possible because the motherboard has a function that when the CPU gets overheating it turns off your PC. It can be a software bug.

manub

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Yeah i forgot about that. It should shut down before reaching that kinda temperatures. But some times it won't. May be it has a faulty sensor or it must be a software bug. Try some other method of measuring the temperature accurately. If it is a software bug, try updating the BIOS.