Shortcut indicators (little curve arrows) gone from icons

I have little curved arrows arrows superposed on the lower
left corner of my icons on Win2K, but not on WinXP. I can
see the arrows when I do a shift-control-drag, but they are
gone when I place the link down somewhere (by releaasing
the mouse button). I also have powertoys TweakUI, which
is suppose to have a setting for activating these arrows
under the Explorer tab. But there doesn't seem to be any,
and I suppose it is because it is the XP version. Does
this problem ring a bell with anyone? I must be missing
something here, because it doesn't make sense for that
functionality to be removed from more recent OS's or
TweakUI's. Not having the arrows can lead to the deletion
of target files rather than shortcuts.
4 answers Last reply
More about shortcut indicators little curve arrows icons

    In news:Og1DmNQRFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Fred Ma <fma@REMOVE_NOSPAM.doe.carleton.ca> had this to say:

    > I have little curved arrows arrows superposed on the lower
    > left corner of my icons on Win2K, but not on WinXP. I can
    > see the arrows when I do a shift-control-drag, but they are
    > gone when I place the link down somewhere (by releaasing
    > the mouse button). I also have powertoys TweakUI, which
    > is suppose to have a setting for activating these arrows
    > under the Explorer tab. But there doesn't seem to be any,
    > and I suppose it is because it is the XP version. Does
    > this problem ring a bell with anyone? I must be missing
    > something here, because it doesn't make sense for that
    > functionality to be removed from more recent OS's or
    > TweakUI's. Not having the arrows can lead to the deletion
    > of target files rather than shortcuts.

    They *SHOULD* be there unless you'd used either a tweaking application or
    edited the registry to make them disappear though it might be an option in
    GPEDIT if I recall. Anyhow, there's a number of ways to put them back. The
    easiest would be to download the trial version of X-Setup Pro from
    www.x-setup.net which is a fairly decent application that used to be
    freeware but now is shareware. The changes won't revert if you uninstall the
    application or anything.

    You are able to manually edit the registry, as I mentioned, to put them
    back. Does it no longer have the "shortcut to *****" there as well?
    Reversing the process here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/arrow.htm should do
    the trick for you. If not then the original idea of XSP will be your best
    option in my opinion.

    Galen

    Galen wrote:
    > Fred Ma <fma@REMOVE_NOSPAM.doe.carleton.ca> had this to say:
    >
    >>I have little curved arrows arrows superposed on the lower
    >>left corner of my icons on Win2K, but not on WinXP. I can
    >>see the arrows when I do a shift-control-drag, but they are
    >>gone when I place the link down somewhere (by releaasing
    >>the mouse button). I also have powertoys TweakUI, which
    >>is suppose to have a setting for activating these arrows
    >>under the Explorer tab. But there doesn't seem to be any,
    >>and I suppose it is because it is the XP version. Does
    >>this problem ring a bell with anyone? I must be missing
    >>something here, because it doesn't make sense for that
    >>functionality to be removed from more recent OS's or
    >>TweakUI's. Not having the arrows can lead to the deletion
    >>of target files rather than shortcuts.
    >
    > They *SHOULD* be there unless you'd used either a tweaking application or
    > edited the registry to make them disappear though it might be an option in
    > GPEDIT if I recall. Anyhow, there's a number of ways to put them back. The
    > easiest would be to download the trial version of X-Setup Pro from
    > www.x-setup.net which is a fairly decent application that used to be
    > freeware but now is shareware. The changes won't revert if you uninstall the
    > application or anything.
    >
    > You are able to manually edit the registry, as I mentioned, to put them
    > back. Does it no longer have the "shortcut to *****" there as well?
    > Reversing the process here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/arrow.htm should do
    > the trick for you. If not then the original idea of XSP will be your best
    > option in my opinion.

    Thanks for the tip, Galen. It looks like it might take some puttering
    around to get it working. I'll make a to-do out of it for
    when things slacken up a bit.

    Fred

    Fred Ma wrote:
    > Galen wrote:
    >>
    >>They *SHOULD* be there unless you'd used either a tweaking application or
    >>edited the registry to make them disappear though it might be an option in
    >>GPEDIT if I recall. Anyhow, there's a number of ways to put them back. The
    >>easiest would be to download the trial version of X-Setup Pro from
    >>www.x-setup.net which is a fairly decent application that used to be
    >>freeware but now is shareware. The changes won't revert if you uninstall the
    >>application or anything.
    >>
    >>You are able to manually edit the registry, as I mentioned, to put them
    >>back. Does it no longer have the "shortcut to *****" there as well?
    >>Reversing the process here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/arrow.htm should do
    >>the trick for you. If not then the original idea of XSP will be your best
    >>option in my opinion.
    >

    > Thanks for the tip, Galen. It looks like it might take some puttering
    > around to get it working. I'll make a to-do out of it for
    > when things slacken up a bit.

    Actually, IT-dude mucked around with the registry and got the arrows
    back. Yay! And as a positive side-effect, I can actually follow
    links to folders when opening files from an application. Double-yay!

    Thanks for responding!

    Fred

    Hi Fred,

    Depending on what you have done:

    Run the restore on line 185 (right hand side):

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Fred Ma" <fma@REMOVE_NOSPAM.doe.carleton.ca> wrote in message
    >I have little curved arrows arrows superposed on the lower
    > left corner of my icons on Win2K, but not on WinXP. I can
    > see the arrows when I do a shift-control-drag, but they are
    > gone when I place the link down somewhere (by releaasing
    > the mouse button). I also have powertoys TweakUI, which
    > is suppose to have a setting for activating these arrows
    > under the Explorer tab. But there doesn't seem to be any,
    > and I suppose it is because it is the XP version. Does
    > this problem ring a bell with anyone? I must be missing
    > something here, because it doesn't make sense for that
    > functionality to be removed from more recent OS's or
    > TweakUI's. Not having the arrows can lead to the deletion
    > of target files rather than shortcuts.

Configuration Icons Windows XP