Radeon HD6370M won't recognize monitor any more. Ideas?

mc837

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hi, I wasn't sure whether to post this in the laptop or graphics card section, but here goes...
SO, I have a laptop (ASUS PRO5IJ series)... long story short, the screen doesn't show anything any more.
However, upon booting with an external screen, Windows started giving BSODs on startup related to a certain atikmpag.sys file.
I replaced the file with a version I found online and Windows doesn't crash any more. HOWEVER:
1) The laptop monitor still gives no signs of life
2) Official ATi drivers claim there is no gpu in the laptop
3) Speccy still sees the gpu in the system, but no monitor...
Frankly I seriously have no idea what to do any more... Yes I've tried the external monitor key combinations and windows settings for monitors, but to no avail, it's as if there was no monitor attached to the laptop... any ideas what to do? Or should I just fish out the warranty documents from God knows where?
Thanks in advance!
-MC

fantastik250

Distinguished
Have you updated your amd drivers? I used to have that problem before. If you have updated to 12.4 drivers you may have issues. Try older drivers. You can install the drivers into safe mode, if your regular boot is having issues.

mc837

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Hi, thanks for the tip! Unfortunately driver installers don't recognize the graphics card in the laptop. I had to manually install the file I replaced...