Sign in with
Your question

CPU overheats - lasting damage or should be ok?

Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2012 11:49:28 AM

So I accidentally let my CPU overheat a couple of times this week. I didn't realize my fans were turned down and the pc crashed to bios and told me the cpu was overheating! I know, really really dumb. I was having a bad week!

Anyway my general question is should I be ok or do you think there's any lasting damage? The PC has been stable since then. Don't cpu's have a fail safe mechanism to shutdown if they get too hot?

Cheers.
a c 159 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 12:19:00 PM

Most Intel cpus throttle down when too hot automatically. If your system is stable, you should be ok. You can recalibrate your smartfan setting if it's available in the bios. Just be sure your fan is turning freely. Intel allows up to 72c for temps, but 65c is safer and only for brief periods of time.
m
l
December 8, 2012 1:27:11 PM

o1die said:
Most Intel cpus throttle down when too hot automatically. If your system is stable, you should be ok. You can recalibrate your smartfan setting if it's available in the bios. Just be sure your fan is turning freely. Intel allows up to 72c for temps, but 65c is safer and only for brief periods of time.

OK thanks! Good to know!
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 1:30:37 PM

octoberhungry said:
So I accidentally let my CPU overheat a couple of times this week. I didn't realize my fans were turned down and the pc crashed to bios and told me the cpu was overheating! I know, really really dumb. I was having a bad week!

Anyway my general question is should I be ok or do you think there's any lasting damage? The PC has been stable since then. Don't cpu's have a fail safe mechanism to shutdown if they get too hot?

Cheers.

An oversimplification is if it runs it's fine. It might have a reduced lifespan if it got really hot but you should be Ok.
m
l
!