Sign in with
Your question

$700 budget gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
July 26, 2012 8:02:26 PM

Alright. I'm looking to build my first pc. I have done research and asked for help on a lot of builds, and I am finally ready to start ordering my parts. I'm just looking for someone to look over these parts, and confirm for the final time that everything is entirely compatible and just give feedback in general.

Approximate Purchase Date: I am going to start purchasing within a couple days from now and then up until Christmas. Basically whenever I see good deals pop up.

Budget Range: a pretty strict 700 dollars.

System Usage: Gaming

Do I need an OS? Yes. It is included in the 700 dollars.

Preferred website: Newegg, but will compromise if I see a particularly good deal elsewhere.

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Okay. Now onto the build itself. The case is not included because the particular case I am getting is not available on PCPartpicker. I will link to it after the other parts of the build.

The build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d4vo

The case: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/haf-932-advanced-black-steel...

Areas of particular concern here are mostly in the power supply. It isn't a Corsair or a Seasonic, or anything. I have heard good things about OCZ, but the relatively low price of the one I list makes me somewhat wary. Also, it isn't bronze certified, but I don't think that's incredibly important. But I may be wrong. PLEASE tell me if I am!
Also, the gpu I have listed comes factory OC'd so many people complain about it running super hot, but with the nice case I have picked out, I am not overly worried about this.

More about : 700 budget gaming rig

July 26, 2012 8:07:36 PM

TheScarecrow97 said:
Alright. I'm looking to build my first pc. I have done research and asked for help on a lot of builds, and I am finally ready to start ordering my parts. I'm just looking for someone to look over these parts, and confirm for the final time that everything is entirely compatible and just give feedback in general.

Approximate Purchase Date: I am going to start purchasing within a couple days from now and then up until Christmas. Basically whenever I see good deals pop up.

Budget Range: a pretty strict 700 dollars.

System Usage: Gaming

Do I need an OS? Yes. It is included in the 700 dollars.

Preferred website: Newegg, but will compromise if I see a particularly good deal elsewhere.

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Okay. Now onto the build itself. The case is not included because the particular case I am getting is not available on PCPartpicker. I will link to it after the other parts of the build.

The build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d4vo

The case: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/haf-932-advanced-black-steel...

Areas of particular concern here are mostly in the power supply. It isn't a Corsair or a Seasonic, or anything. I have heard good things about OCZ, but the relatively low price of the one I list makes me somewhat wary. Also, it isn't bronze certified, but I don't think that's incredibly important. But I may be wrong. PLEASE tell me if I am!
Also, the gpu I have listed comes factory OC'd so many people complain about it running super hot, but with the nice case I have picked out, I am not overly worried about this.

Do you really want to waste money on an OS? you only need to buy one if you're part of some corporation or something and can't afford getting sued by Microsoft, but nobody cares if you got it... through illegitimate ways so to speak (don't ban me mods just a suggestion, I'm not encouraging piracy itself). I mean... an OS costs a lot and you'd have to get a worse PC if you decide to pay 100$+ (most cards are about that price). Just think about it. You could get 2 100$ cards in sli or even better, a single better card for nothing more, you won't lose anything and you'll only get more bang for your buck.

You could, for example, get an i5 2500k with the money you'd lose on the OS. Or whatever else you'd want.
m
l
July 26, 2012 8:59:36 PM

mrbeanladen said:
Do you really want to waste money on an OS? you only need to buy one if you're part of some corporation or something and can't afford getting sued by Microsoft, but nobody cares if you got it... through illegitimate ways so to speak (don't ban me mods just a suggestion, I'm not encouraging piracy itself). I mean... an OS costs a lot and you'd have to get a worse PC if you decide to pay 100$+ (most cards are about that price). Just think about it. You could get 2 100$ cards in sli or even better, a single better card for nothing more, you won't lose anything and you'll only get more bang for your buck.

You could, for example, get an i5 2500k with the money you'd lose on the OS. Or whatever else you'd want.

What in the world are you talking about? He wants windows, and does not have a copy, meaning he has to buy it like normal people do since, you know, we dont condone piracy.

Now, to the matter at hand. In all honesty Scarecrow, your build looks pretty solid. $600 is a pretty tight budget, but you have some good parts listed. The only thing I see is that you do not have an aftermarket cooler listed, and if you are getting a Black edition Phenom ii it means you want to overclock, and you will not be doing any overclocking without an aftermarket cooler with that processor. On the other hand, if you dont plan on overclocking, save yourself $20 and drop to a Phenom ii x4 955.
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2012 9:19:42 PM

dalmvern said:
What in the world are you talking about? He wants windows, and does not have a copy, meaning he has to buy it like normal people do since, you know, we dont condone piracy.

Now, to the matter at hand. In all honesty Scarecrow, your build looks pretty solid. $600 is a pretty tight budget, but you have some good parts listed. The only thing I see is that you do not have an aftermarket cooler listed, and if you are getting a Black edition Phenom ii it means you want to overclock, and you will not be doing any overclocking without an aftermarket cooler with that processor. On the other hand, if you dont plan on overclocking, save yourself $20 and drop to a Phenom ii x4 955.

Ah forget it sorry I said anything...
m
l
July 26, 2012 9:55:44 PM

It is pretty solid for a budget build, although I would consider getting a 7850 video card instead of the 560 TI, they are around the same price and the 7850 is a better video card.

The motherboard while not my favorite choice is quite sufficient.

You might consider this one,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus does honor the warranty on "open box" specials, its also a better quality mobo with a better warranty than the 970 Extreme 3.
m
l
July 26, 2012 10:33:56 PM

dalmvern said:

okay thanks for the advice! I don't plan to overclock so I suppose I will look into the 955.
m
l
July 27, 2012 3:12:17 PM

ah, the 955s don't seem to be available anymore : /
Any other suggestions? Or should I just stick with the 965?
m
l
July 27, 2012 3:18:25 PM

Hrm...I didnt know they discontinued it...oh well.

Ok well depending on how its going to affect your budget (and it shouldnt much) since you already have an AM3+ mobo selected, check out the FX-4100 Zambezi processor. Its the same base price as the 965 BE and is faster.
m
l
July 27, 2012 8:58:05 PM

dalmvern said:
Hrm...I didnt know they discontinued it...oh well.

Ok well depending on how its going to affect your budget (and it shouldnt much) since you already have an AM3+ mobo selected, check out the FX-4100 Zambezi processor. Its the same base price as the 965 BE and is faster.

I've heard that the phenom line is a lot better as far as gaming goes, though. Also, the 965 currently has a promo code allowing me to save 20 dollars or something....I'm inclined to go with that.
But to be honest, I really don't know WHY the 965 is better than the 4100 when the 4100 is faster.
Thoughts?
m
l
July 28, 2012 12:51:54 AM

Its just the architecture of the chip, and honestly the difference in performance between them isnt really that significant. Since you are not going to overclock, I think you would benefit more from the higher base clock speed of the FX-4100, even though in general the Phenoms have a better architecture for gaming, but it still not a big difference.
m
l
July 28, 2012 1:16:52 AM

dalmvern said:
Its just the architecture of the chip, and honestly the difference in performance between them isnt really that significant. Since you are not going to overclock, I think you would benefit more from the higher base clock speed of the FX-4100, even though in general the Phenoms have a better architecture for gaming, but it still not a big difference.

okay thank you for explaining this. I will certainly consider the fx 4100...
m
l
!