Red eye on Canon Powershot S2 IS?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 21, 2005 9:12:33 PM

I've read a few reviews that tend to suggest the above camera is prone to
red eye with its built-in flash. It's one of the camera's I'm very
interested in buying - however, I don't want to have to remove red eye in
software every single time I take a flash shot! As I understand it, there
is no capability for shoeing on an external flash.

Anyone who has one or has used one care to comment?

al
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:50:42 PM

al wrote:
> I've read a few reviews that tend to suggest the above camera is
> prone to red eye with its built-in flash. It's one of the camera's
> I'm very interested in buying - however, I don't want to have to
> remove red eye in software every single time I take a flash shot! As
> I understand it, there is no capability for shoeing on an external
> flash.
> Anyone who has one or has used one care to comment?
>

> al

most of compact cameras have only limited red eye reduction. In S2 manual
clearly says that you must say to people that they MUST look into that
orange little LED when shooting or reduction won't be good. From my
experience, this reduction is sometimes good, sometimes less good, but it's
not that bad, in fact, it's just comparable with other cameras.

As for external flash, no it doesn't have connector for it, but you can use
slave-operated flash (on ewho has photodiode for triggering). I have one,
whihc i made it from old (but good - lead number 26) analog flash and works
excellent - scene is totally excellent lighted from 8 or more metres away
when using it...Downside is that these flashes are prone to triggereing with
other flashes (if you are shooting where's a lot of other people also
shooting)...
August 22, 2005 3:01:41 AM

Eyes give red reflections when the angle between the flash position and the
lens centre is small enough to reflect the light from the bottom of the eyes
back into the lens.
The trick is to make the pop up flash rise high above the lens center.
The S2IS lifts the flash only semi high, and at short distances, below a
meter or so, there are no red eyes, but at longer distances the reflection
angle becomes too small, and red eyes gets more of a problem.
/per

"al" <[ask_me_first]@blueyonder.co.uk> skrev i meddelandet
> I've read a few reviews that tend to suggest the above camera is prone to
> red eye with its built-in flash. It's one of the camera's I'm very
> interested in buying - however, I don't want to have to remove red eye in
> software every single time I take a flash shot! As I understand it, there
> is no capability for shoeing on an external flash.
>
> Anyone who has one or has used one care to comment?
>

> al

Related resources
August 22, 2005 3:01:42 AM

"per" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Eyes give red reflections when the angle between the flash position and
> the lens centre is small enough to reflect the light from the bottom of
> the eyes back into the lens.
> The trick is to make the pop up flash rise high above the lens center.
> The S2IS lifts the flash only semi high, and at short distances, below a
> meter or so, there are no red eyes, but at longer distances the reflection
> angle becomes too small, and red eyes gets more of a problem.
> /per

Is it especially low a flash compared to the popup flashes on other cameras
such as the Fuji S7000?

August 23, 2005 5:32:20 AM

As has been said, the Canon S2 IS is not so different from most any
Point&Shoot camera when it comes to red-eye. Only when there is considerable
distance between the lens and the flash will red-eye be eliminated.

What I use is RedEyePro to remove the red-eye. RedEyePro is a PhotoShop
compatible plug-in I use with PaintShopPro 9. As long as the red-eye takes
up a few dozen pixels, RedEyePro will determine the real eye color and
restore it.

www.andromeda.com

Bye.

"al" <[ask_me_first]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've read a few reviews that tend to suggest the above camera is prone to
> red eye with its built-in flash. It's one of the camera's I'm very
> interested in buying - however, I don't want to have to remove red eye in
> software every single time I take a flash shot! As I understand it, there
> is no capability for shoeing on an external flash.
>
> Anyone who has one or has used one care to comment?
>

> al

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:58:51 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:32:20 GMT, "David Sommers"
<dsommers@ACM.org> wrote:

>RedEyePro will determine the real eye color and
>restore it.

David,

the color is always black.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Anonymous

If that were true, then removing red-eye would be simple and not require any
special effort. Just paint over the open iris with black and I'd be done.
The red-eye I experience with the Eastern European part of my family is like
that. My wife and my direct blood relatives all have dark brown eyes and
virtually never have red-eye in flash photos. When we do, it's like you
describe - the open iris is red, not black. With our daughter-in-law and all
the fair skin and blue eyes of the beautiful grandchildren she produced, we
now have bright red eyes where the red covers most or all of the normal
color of the eye. Simply painting over the red with black doesn't work.
RedEyePro will recover the natural eye color in these cases, as long as
there are enough pixels for the software to work with.

Bye.

"Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:32:20 GMT, "David Sommers"
> <dsommers@ACM.org> wrote:
>
>>RedEyePro will determine the real eye color and
>>restore it.
>
> David,
>
> the color is always black.
>
> Hans-Georg
>
> --
> No mail, please.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 10:06:50 PM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:09:34 GMT, "David Sommers"
<dsommers@ACM.org> wrote:

>If that were true, then removing red-eye would be simple and not require any
>special effort. Just paint over the open iris with black and I'd be done.
>The red-eye I experience with the Eastern European part of my family is like
>that. My wife and my direct blood relatives all have dark brown eyes and
>virtually never have red-eye in flash photos. When we do, it's like you
>describe - the open iris is red, not black. With our daughter-in-law and all
>the fair skin and blue eyes of the beautiful grandchildren she produced, we
>now have bright red eyes where the red covers most or all of the normal
>color of the eye. Simply painting over the red with black doesn't work.
>RedEyePro will recover the natural eye color in these cases, as long as
>there are enough pixels for the software to work with.

David,

oh, that's news to me. I have always only seen photos where the
inner black circle, the pupil, is red, never the iris. (Please
see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/biology/human...
to be sure we're talking about the same thing.)

The cause is that light enters the eye through the wide pupil
and illuminates the red retina, which is what you then see
through the pupil.

I cannot understand how the red light could shine through the
non-transparent iris. I still suspect you're mistaken. Do you
have a sample photo somewhere?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Anonymous

Since I clean up red-eye within a day or two of when I take the shot, the
only examples I could find were from today, and they both support your
theory because the subject was not looking directly into the camera. That
is, the red was restricted to only the opening of the iris. In particular,
my 18-year-old granddaughter's eyes will reflect back so much bright red
light, that it causes a kind of blooming or glare in the image that spills
over into the colored part of the eye. RedEyePro can deal with this
properly.

Have you ever taken a picture of a cat, or some nocturnal animal at night
with flash right in their face? I have, and what I got was these two huge
glowing lights that were twice the size of the animals eyes. That is the
phenomenon I'm talking about. The people on my side of the family all have
dark eyes and medium complexions. If we show any red-eye, it's as you
describe, not the two bright headlights my granddaughters, and now my
grandson, manifest.

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:09:34 GMT, "David Sommers"
> <dsommers@ACM.org> wrote:
>
>>If that were true, then removing red-eye would be simple and not require
>>any
>>special effort. Just paint over the open iris with black and I'd be done.
>>The red-eye I experience with the Eastern European part of my family is
>>like
>>that. My wife and my direct blood relatives all have dark brown eyes and
>>virtually never have red-eye in flash photos. When we do, it's like you
>>describe - the open iris is red, not black. With our daughter-in-law and
>>all
>>the fair skin and blue eyes of the beautiful grandchildren she produced,
>>we
>>now have bright red eyes where the red covers most or all of the normal
>>color of the eye. Simply painting over the red with black doesn't work.
>>RedEyePro will recover the natural eye color in these cases, as long as
>>there are enough pixels for the software to work with.
>
> David,
>
> oh, that's news to me. I have always only seen photos where the
> inner black circle, the pupil, is red, never the iris. (Please
> see
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/biology/human...
> to be sure we're talking about the same thing.)
>
> The cause is that light enters the eye through the wide pupil
> and illuminates the red retina, which is what you then see
> through the pupil.
>
> I cannot understand how the red light could shine through the
> non-transparent iris. I still suspect you're mistaken. Do you
> have a sample photo somewhere?
>
> Hans-Georg
>
> --
> No mail, please.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 4:09:40 PM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:16:23 GMT, "David Sommers"
<dsommers@ACM.org> wrote:

>Since I clean up red-eye within a day or two of when I take the shot, the
>only examples I could find were from today, and they both support your
>theory because the subject was not looking directly into the camera. That
>is, the red was restricted to only the opening of the iris. In particular,
>my 18-year-old granddaughter's eyes will reflect back so much bright red
>light, that it causes a kind of blooming or glare in the image that spills
>over into the colored part of the eye. RedEyePro can deal with this
>properly.

David,

ah, that's a phenomenon I did not consider.

>Have you ever taken a picture of a cat, or some nocturnal animal at night
>with flash right in their face? I have, and what I got was these two huge
>glowing lights that were twice the size of the animals eyes. That is the
>phenomenon I'm talking about.

I don't remember offhand. Would have to see a sample.

Anyway, we've discussed the problem thoroughly and made it all
clear.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.