Sign in with
Your question

Bent CPU pins on both cpus, both broken or mobo?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2012 2:13:11 PM

Hi, my pc won't boot after I bent the pins on the cpu. I bent them back but pc didn't work. So I ordered a new cpu. I managed to bend two pins on THIS ONE AS WELL, with the same kind of accident -_-. I bent them back and put the new cpu back in it's slot. after paste and heatsink blah blah it still didn't work. pc loops on and off, the fans and dvd-rom get power for 3 sec before it turns off again. then it turns on. then off. endless cycle.
are my cpu's the problem or did I kill the mobo when I put the firs cpu with bent pins down into the socket? I'll be really mad at myself If I have fried 210$ ; /

For the more detailed story:

PC SPECS:

MOTHERBOARD:ASUS M4N98TD EVO, Socket-AM3

GRAPHICS ( now removed from pc) : gtx 470

RAM: Kingston HyperX 6 GB 1600MHz DDR3

first CPU : AMD Athlon II X3 460

Second ("new") CPU: Phenom II X4 955

HDD: Western Digital 2TB Green 3,5", SATA

case: Antec Three Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case ( yes, i have used the standoffs)
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 2:56:57 PM

It really shouldn't damage the board. How on earth did you bend them.... Twice?

You are sure they are lined up now? How did you straighten them?
December 8, 2012 3:14:21 PM

the first cpu got its pins bended when I tried to put it back in after de-dusting the heat-sink. I was a noob and lift it all out in one piece, cpu and heatsink. bent pins garuanteed. With the new cpu I realised I had put grease on the cpu even tho the sink already had a thermal pad. So I took out the sink, and the cpu came with it even tho I carefully twisted the sink to prevent it -_- in the process of taking it of the sink I bend 2 pins. But only slightly. With some needlework and credit card I got them back to normal, no broken pins. So I really don't think it's the previously bent pins. but what else can it be ; (
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 3:28:34 PM

I've pulled out CPUs with the heatsink now and then, as has my friend. Never bent a pin though. If they weren't radically bent the socket would straighten them. Even adding thermal paste plus the preinstalled TIM wouldn't cause immediate failure, just possible heat issues. Did it work before you pulled the CPU?
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 3:32:05 PM

There must be something else wrong with the way you did it. The cpu should never come out of the CLOSED cpu socket. Are you sure the little lever on the side of the socket is in the right position?
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 3:40:16 PM

noidea_77 said:
There must be something else wrong with the way you did it. The cpu should never come out of the CLOSED cpu socket. Are you sure the little lever on the side of the socket is in the right position?

I take it you have never built an AMD system? They have an ZIF socket. Not an LGA socket like Intel. Its perfectly possible to pull a CPU out with the heatsink as the ZIF socket grips the pins, and doesn't latch over the CPU heat spreader.

that being said I've never seen it damage a pin. And Intel sockets are just as capable of pulling loose.
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 3:42:48 PM

You need to lift the retention arm of the cpu socket before you insert the cpu.
When you put the cpu in make sure the triangle on one corner of the cpu lines up with the one printed on the cpu socket. then close the retention arm.
You also need to take note of what socket type you have for the cpu, and if the cpu matches the socket type if it is an Amd cpu or an intel Cpu.
If the cpu is wrong for the socket it will not fit bending the Pins or the board may not work with the cpu inserted, if the front side bus of the cpu does not match the motherboard.
December 8, 2012 3:44:06 PM

Yeah, I've done this once so i can relate.... It was more due to frustration when attempting to remove the heatsink because it was completely stuck to the cpu.... (it happens)

I used a pair of plyers with rubber edges on it, and bent the 2 pins back, and it worked fine. If you used something else and there's noticeable "fray" on the pins, then its possible both CPUs are now toast.

I can't see the socket being damaged unless you broke the lever that holds it down. If its attempting to boot, and fails, It means the connection is no good. Much like ensuring various cards and RAM at slotted/seated correctly. None of us are motherboard experts.... But You may be lucky if you can RMA the board if there is no noticeable damage, If it still happens.... Then its the CPU on a new board replacement.

Best guess.....Board is now no good ie: damaged

But i agree....bending them twice seems unusual. Once...ok, But twice sorry to say by process of elimination your CPU and or board is both damaged.

Bring it in somewhere and have someone investigate before you act.
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 4:03:00 PM

unksol said:
I take it you have never built an AMD system? They have an ZIF socket. Not an LGA socket like Intel. Its perfectly possible to pull a CPU out with the heatsink as the ZIF socket grips the pins, and doesn't latch over the CPU heat spreader.

that being said I've never seen it damage a pin. And Intel sockets are just as capable of pulling loose.

I only build AMD system, 50 at least, but maybe it didn't happen to me because i know what i do.
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 4:05:51 PM

I've pulled my CPU out with heatsink glued to it 3 times in the paste week - perfectly fine. The pins never broke or bent (although I did get thermal paste on the pins the first time). Even if they bend, the CPU should be fine - must be the board. I'm pretty sure the CPU wouldn't cause it to go into a loop. You did ground yourself prior to doing all this right?
EDIT: Also, its very easy to rip out your CPU with the heatsink if the socket is PGA based - I find it that using silicon, its less likely, but Arctic Silver 5 - forget about it.
!