Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Overclocking
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2012 2:59:46 AM

Guys,

This is for those who have overclocked the GTX 580. I have the Palit GTX 580 reference card. I checked my ASIC quality and it shows up as 70%

I would like to know what overclock speeds you guys have set on your card and at what voltage. I also require the settings set on your fan profile. I know that each card is different but just out of curiosity, please let me know this as I have to start overclocking my card as well. I will atleast have an idea about this mate.

Please help me out with this. My card idles at 38 to 40 degrees at stock and load is around 78 to 80 degrees maximum while running MSI Kombuster.

More about : gtx 580 overclocking

a c 665 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 3:43:53 AM

You've definitely come to the right section. With an ASIC score of 70%, in theory your overclocking might be limited, but don't believe it until you see it with your own eyes. I like the cooling on your case if you are topping out at 80c. I'm hitting 89c on my cruddy old case.

I would say start right out at recon's suggestion; that's just under what guru3d got on stock voltage in their review. Don't always trust Kombustor, though, and be sure to play your favorite games. For me, I go for whatever overclock works best on the particular game I'm playing at the time. Some games handle OC's better than others.
Related resources
June 4, 2012 12:32:57 PM

17seconds said:
You've definitely come to the right section. With an ASIC score of 70%, in theory your overclocking might be limited, but don't believe it until you see it with your own eyes. I like the cooling on your case if you are topping out at 80c. I'm hitting 89c on my cruddy old case.

I would say start right out at recon's suggestion; that's just under what guru3d got on stock voltage in their review. Don't always trust Kombustor, though, and be sure to play your favorite games. For me, I go for whatever overclock works best on the particular game I'm playing at the time. Some games handle OC's better than others.

Thanks I will try overclocking on stock voltage and post the results. As for the fan profile, I managed to hit 80 degrees with a custom fan profile. On auto the card easily hits 87 degrees maximum. Should I setup a custom fan profile for this card. If yes, then let me know what settings to be used on the \fan profile.
June 4, 2012 12:46:21 PM

Quote:
my asic is 68.8... yet i can clock my cards really high...

That's because you have a custom cooler. I want to get one too but the problem is I live in India and I cannot find that cooler even in a single retail store nor online. That's the problem. These Idiots in the retail shops dont even know what a custom GPU cooler is. :pt1cable: 
June 4, 2012 1:15:03 PM

Just for your reference. See how Toms went OCing a range of 580s. Not the Palit model unfortunately for you... but gives you an idea.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-580-ove...

Somewhere close to 900MHz on the core clock & 2200MHz on the memory. Might want to start out a little lower to be on the safe side for testing.
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 2:40:17 PM

I used msi afterburner and

Core clock- 980
Shader clock- 1960
Memory clock- 2150

core voltage- 1.150

Fan speed Manual- 60%

However, during everyday use I went up to-

Core clock- 900mhz
Shader clock- 1800mhz
Memory clock- 2100mhz

at 1.05v

Fan speed Manually set to 40%

Mine was a ASUS gtx 580 direct cu ii with 600% better airflow
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 2:45:33 PM

Quote:
The CUII is a overclockers card... the OP has a standard Palit 580.

oh rightio, I thought the palit one was non reference.

My mate flashed his asus gtx 580 reference card to a msi lightning and it was running stable. So maybe op can try using the msi lightning standard clocks 832/1664/2100 at 1.05v
a c 665 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 4:09:31 PM

shamsmu said:
oh rightio, I thought the palit one was non reference.

My mate flashed his asus gtx 580 reference card to a msi lightning and it was running stable. So maybe op can try using the msi lightning standard clocks 832/1664/2100 at 1.05v

Based on my results with reference cooling, that's probably a good place to start.

When your card crashes, you have several options: increase the fan speed, increase the voltages, or decrease the clock speeds.... not necessarily in that order.
June 4, 2012 4:38:14 PM

17seconds said:
Based on my results with reference cooling, that's probably a good place to start.

When your card crashes, you have several options: increase the fan speed, increase the voltages, or decrease the clock speeds.... not necessarily in that order.

@recon-uk - Yes, I would like to benchmark my 580 vs your 480 OC but I can only do that at 1080p as I only have a 22" monitor and I can provide you the benchmarks after a day as I am waiting for my Belkin surge suppressor which will be delivered to me by tomorrow and I will also get BF3, Batman AC, etc after a day. So will post all the results after contacting you via PM...allright buddy?

@shamsmu - for some reason when I unlock the voltage control on the MSI after burner, I see that my voltage is set to 1037mv. I believe that its too high for stock clocks. Should I update my card bios with the latest one that is available on techpowerup or should I just raise the voltage a little lower and then start overclocking?

@matto17secs - if I get a Gelid icy vision imported from US to india and install it on my card. How much performance increase will I get compared to a Stock 580 vs a 900Mhz Overclocked 580?
June 4, 2012 4:45:00 PM

Quote:
I will start a thread, i will wait in anticipation for you whilst i postup some scores ;) 

Sure mate. after you post the thread. provide me the link for the thread as well so that I can post the results after a day or two.
June 4, 2012 4:54:35 PM

@recon-uk - thanks for posting the thread. let me reiterate. I can bench only on 1080p. So you will also have to bench on the same resolution and then post the results.

My questions for you guys remain the same.

@shamsmu - for some reason when I unlock the voltage control on the MSI after burner, I see that my voltage is set to 1037mv. I believe that its too high for stock clocks. Should I update my card bios with the latest one that is available on techpowerup or should I just decrease the voltage a little lower and then start overclocking?

@matto17secs - if I get a Gelid icy vision imported from US to india and install it on my card. How much performance increase will I get compared to a Stock 580 vs a 900Mhz Overclocked 580?

@recon-uk - you can also answer those questions if you have time buddy.
June 4, 2012 5:07:38 PM

Quote:
I can bench at 1920x1080 and 2560x1600... so no worries ;) 

The Gelid will cool the socks off your 580.... 100% recommendation.

Here is that cooler on my 480....

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/176/04062012317.jpg

But what games do you want me to bench my 580 on?

are these enough for you: Crysis 2, Crysis Warhead, Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, Witcher 2, 3Dmark vantage, 3dmark 11. Do you need some more? if yes, then list them please.

two last questions:

1. How much performance increase can I expect from a Stock 580 to a 900Mhz and above 580.
2. For some reason when I unlock the voltage control on the MSI after burner, I see that my voltage is set to 1037mv. I believe that its too high for stock clocks. Should I update my card bios with the latest one that is available on techpowerup or should I just decrease the voltage a little lower and then start overclocking?
a c 665 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 5:10:15 PM

That voltage is right in the middle of the pack in terms of other 580's. Mine at 1013 is in fact below reference standards.
June 4, 2012 5:19:46 PM

Quote:
Games i have that are bench worthy:
-BF3
-Crysis 2
-Crysis/warhead
-Metro 2033
-Batman arkham asylum
-BFBC2
-Alien VS Predator
-The chronicals of riddick: assault on dark athena
-Far Cry 2
-Mafia 2
-Resident Evil 5
-Stalker COP
-Stalker CS
-Stalker SOC

Ok then I will post all those results a day after on your thread and let u know via PM. And for overclocking can I use EVGA OC scanner to check the stability or should I use Furmark.
June 4, 2012 5:30:17 PM

Quote:
OCCT is my recommendation, it has a error checker ;) 

Well. its decided then. I will try overclocking tomorrow and post all the bench results a day after. Thank you and @matto17secs and all the others as well for all the help and valuable suggestions guys.
a c 665 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 5:59:48 PM

OCCT and Furmark specifically will cause your card to throttle down, so you won't be able to know for sure that the OC was good or not. This is a software level safety feature that Nvidia implemented on the 500 series for OCCT and Furmark only. I believe you can still use Kombustor without throttling down.

To turn it off:
http://www.techpowerup.com/134460/Disable-GeForce-GTX-5...
June 4, 2012 6:43:21 PM

17seconds said:
OCCT and Furmark specifically will cause your card to throttle down, so you won't be able to know for sure that the OC was good or not. This is a software level safety feature that Nvidia implemented on the 500 series for OCCT and Furmark only. I believe you can still use Kombustor without throttling down.

To turn it off:
http://www.techpowerup.com/134460/Disable-GeForce-GTX-5...

So do you recommend me to disable that feature and then run OCCT or just run some games like Metro, Crysis and Battlefield 3 and kombuster for checking stability?
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 6:48:17 PM

The sky is the limit but just be safe with the voltage and if the chokes began to really buzz (coil squeal) then you might need to rma or mod. It is the chokes that are the main thing that holds these cards back.
June 4, 2012 6:50:34 PM

nforce4max said:
The sky is the limit but just be safe with the voltage and if the chokes began to really buzz (coil squeal) then you might need to rma or mod. It is the chokes that are the main thing that holds these cards back.

Then I believe I will just check the stability using Metro, Crysis and Kombuster. Its better to be safe and stay away from OCCT and Furmark.
a c 665 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 7:39:57 PM

irfan88 said:
Then I believe I will just check the stability using Metro, Crysis and Kombuster. Its better to be safe and stay away from OCCT and Furmark.

Agreed. Nothing beats just playing your favorite games for 15-20 minutes. With Kombustor, I find that OC's seem stable, but the problems occur when I fire up a game.
June 4, 2012 7:45:22 PM

17seconds said:
Agreed. Nothing beats just playing your favorite games for 15-20 minutes. With Kombustor, I find that OC's seem stable, but the problems occur when I fire up a game.

You've got a PM. Let me know your overclocking progress?
June 5, 2012 1:03:49 PM

17seconds said:

I tried overclocking today at stock volts 1038mv at 835Mhz and then ran kombuster. But after reaching 75 degrees I got a tiny message at the right on Kombuster saying 'GPU Throtting 418Mhz". What is that?

My temps never went above 76 degrees on a custom fan profile.
a c 665 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2012 3:29:20 PM

irfan88 said:
I tried overclocking today at stock volts 1038mv at 835Mhz and then ran kombuster. But after reaching 75 degrees I got a tiny message at the right on Kombuster saying 'GPU Throtting 418Mhz". What is that?

My temps never went above 76 degrees on a custom fan profile.

That's the throttling function. The same thing happened to me. I guess you can't really use Kombustor, at least the stress test option. I haven't tried the benchmark option to see if that throttles.
June 5, 2012 4:50:04 PM

Quote:
Here is vid of my 480 in BF3, it uses the GPU massively, i don't break 65c... and if i stay below 75c, i can manage higher overclocks!. Temperature is the main issue with stability.
I may be able to puch past 900mhz in this title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCrWg5nc3xU

@recon-uk - I am getting my Battlefield 3 copy tomorrow. So I will probably test it out and then post my overclocking results on this thread. I will also post the bench test results that you asked on your Nvidia/AMD bench thread as well.
June 5, 2012 5:12:16 PM

Quote:
Sounds good :) 

U know what I ran Unigine Heaven Benchmark at 835Mhz without any memory overclock at 1038mv and it crashed on the third stage. Damn!!!!!!!!Should I increase the voltage ?
June 5, 2012 5:30:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, try 1050mv.

Yaay. The heaven benchmark went through at 835Mhz 1050mv. Should I try overclocking the memory now at the same voltage? and upto what extent.
June 5, 2012 5:51:18 PM

Quote:
2000mh memory clock is enough for any core OC.

But are there any advantages if I overclock the memory to 2100Mhz or should I just leave it as it is? If I do overclock the memory by 100Mhz, will I get a better gameplay or its just a waste of time.
June 5, 2012 11:46:45 PM

Quote:
Memory will not give you anything past 4ghz (GDDR5 effective speed for 2000mhz).
Putting the memory higher reduces your overall max core clock due to the memory controller being stressed.

Should I try to go further with my core clock mate? What clocks do you think would be the max that one can achieve on a reference card. My temps as of now are 37 degrees idle and 87 degrees load on auto 78 degrees on custom fan profile.
June 6, 2012 1:08:46 AM

Quote:
I would think, around 860-900
Push the voltage to 1088mv
Core to 870mhz.

I think I might not increase the voltage at this point on the reference cooler until I get an Accelero Xtreme Plus or the Gelid Icy Vision for that matter. I tried increasing the core clock to 840 Mhz but did not notice any improvement on the Heaven benchmark except for 1 FPS I believe. Atlast I have settled for this

835 Mhz Core
1670 Mhz Shader
2050 Mhz Memory

I tried to increase the memory to 2100 and was rock stable on that but no increase in performance on Heaven except for 3 more points.

Currently I score 1356 points
Min FPS - 23.6
Max - 118
Avg - 53.8 on my current clocks

Settings used on Heaven:

Tesellation - Normal
Antialiasing- 4XAA
Anisotropy - 16X
Rest settings - Everything set to High

Hey @matto17secs - Looks like U and me both are stuck on the same clocks buddy except the fact that I can increase my Memory clock a little bit more. He he he.

Now with your permission can I have the Unigine Heaven benchmark results on both of your cards (single cards ofcourse) with the settings that I have listed above. This is for both of you mates @recon-uk and @matto17secs
June 6, 2012 1:23:55 AM

Quote:
I will bench 835mhz, and 900mhz ;) 

Allright. What did I get that correct!!!! 900Mhz on the 480 :pt1cable: 
June 6, 2012 1:59:02 AM

Quote:
It was obvious that i would score less than your 580... ;) 

Give me the results for 900 mhz. i am sure that u will go past my 580 or atleast match it.
June 6, 2012 2:03:22 AM

Damn. that went past through my580 by a little margin. little difference. i want those icy visions. i cant find them anywhere in india i believe.
a c 665 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2012 3:46:01 AM

Okay, here's what I got at stock settings:

And OC'ed at 835 mhz core/2049 (4098) mhz memory:

June 6, 2012 4:08:32 AM

Quote:
Nice score Matto^^

I am unsure as to why you gained 2 more FPS than irfan88...?

Yeah. I am also unsure about this. Is it because of my CPU. Matto's CPU is Intel and mine is the stupid Phenom II x4. Strange!!!!!!!!
June 6, 2012 4:56:10 AM

Quote:
Nice score Matto^^

Is there any issues with the current Nvidia drivers. I look closely on the nvidia control panel and the memory is reduced from 1536 MB to 1535MB. Same on Matto's card as well. I know its not a big thing 1MB right but I also saw that the Physx indicator on the GPU-Z is ticked off. I checked the control panel and the Physx option is set right to my 580. What's going on?
a c 665 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2012 5:49:16 AM

Quote:
Nice score Matto^^

I made sure to go into the Nvidia Control Panel and changed the Unigine Heaven Program settings to a more default level. I have my Global settings at a higher level and turn on things like FXAA and High Quality textures by default. For the benchmark, I turned all antialiasing settings to application-controlled and used just Quality textures (which is the Nvidia default), and turned off gamma correction, transparency antialiasing (both were on in global settings) and put negative LOD bias at clamp (which is supposed to be faster). I also put power management at prefer maximum performance.

The Core i7-875K is a great CPU even at stock clocks. I also have some nice Dominator RAM @ 1600 mhz C8.
!