GTX 580 overclocking help

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Guys,

This is for those who have overclocked the GTX 580. I have the Palit GTX 580 reference card. I checked my ASIC quality and it shows up as 70%

I would like to know what overclock speeds you guys have set on your card and at what voltage. I also require the settings set on your fan profile. I know that each card is different but just out of curiosity, please let me know this as I have to start overclocking my card as well. I will atleast have an idea about this mate.

Please help me out with this. My card idles at 38 to 40 degrees at stock and load is around 78 to 80 degrees maximum while running MSI Kombuster.

You've definitely come to the right section. With an ASIC score of 70%, in theory your overclocking might be limited, but don't believe it until you see it with your own eyes. I like the cooling on your case if you are topping out at 80c. I'm hitting 89c on my cruddy old case.

I would say start right out at recon's suggestion; that's just under what guru3d got on stock voltage in their review. Don't always trust Kombustor, though, and be sure to play your favorite games. For me, I go for whatever overclock works best on the particular game I'm playing at the time. Some games handle OC's better than others.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

Thanks I will try overclocking on stock voltage and post the results. As for the fan profile, I managed to hit 80 degrees with a custom fan profile. On auto the card easily hits 87 degrees maximum. Should I setup a custom fan profile for this card. If yes, then let me know what settings to be used on the \fan profile.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
my asic is 68.8... yet i can clock my cards really high...

That's because you have a custom cooler. I want to get one too but the problem is I live in India and I cannot find that cooler even in a single retail store nor online. That's the problem. These Idiots in the retail shops dont even know what a custom GPU cooler is. :pt1cable:

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I used msi afterburner and

Core clock- 980
Shader clock- 1960
Memory clock- 2150

core voltage- 1.150

Fan speed Manual- 60%

However, during everyday use I went up to-

Core clock- 900mhz
Shader clock- 1800mhz
Memory clock- 2100mhz

at 1.05v

Fan speed Manually set to 40%

Mine was a ASUS gtx 580 direct cu ii with 600% better airflow

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
The CUII is a overclockers card... the OP has a standard Palit 580.

oh rightio, I thought the palit one was non reference.

My mate flashed his asus gtx 580 reference card to a msi lightning and it was running stable. So maybe op can try using the msi lightning standard clocks 832/1664/2100 at 1.05v

Based on my results with reference cooling, that's probably a good place to start.

When your card crashes, you have several options: increase the fan speed, increase the voltages, or decrease the clock speeds.... not necessarily in that order.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

@recon-uk - Yes, I would like to benchmark my 580 vs your 480 OC but I can only do that at 1080p as I only have a 22" monitor and I can provide you the benchmarks after a day as I am waiting for my Belkin surge suppressor which will be delivered to me by tomorrow and I will also get BF3, Batman AC, etc after a day. So will post all the results after contacting you via PM...allright buddy?

@shamsmu - for some reason when I unlock the voltage control on the MSI after burner, I see that my voltage is set to 1037mv. I believe that its too high for stock clocks. Should I update my card bios with the latest one that is available on techpowerup or should I just raise the voltage a little lower and then start overclocking?

@matto17secs - if I get a Gelid icy vision imported from US to india and install it on my card. How much performance increase will I get compared to a Stock 580 vs a 900Mhz Overclocked 580?

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I will start a thread, i will wait in anticipation for you whilst i postup some scores ;)

Sure mate. after you post the thread. provide me the link for the thread as well so that I can post the results after a day or two.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/356290-15-nvidia-bench-thread

@recon-uk - thanks for posting the thread. let me reiterate. I can bench only on 1080p. So you will also have to bench on the same resolution and then post the results.

My questions for you guys remain the same.

@shamsmu - for some reason when I unlock the voltage control on the MSI after burner, I see that my voltage is set to 1037mv. I believe that its too high for stock clocks. Should I update my card bios with the latest one that is available on techpowerup or should I just decrease the voltage a little lower and then start overclocking?

@matto17secs - if I get a Gelid icy vision imported from US to india and install it on my card. How much performance increase will I get compared to a Stock 580 vs a 900Mhz Overclocked 580?

@recon-uk - you can also answer those questions if you have time buddy.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I can bench at 1920x1080 and 2560x1600... so no worries ;)

The Gelid will cool the socks off your 580.... 100% recommendation.

Here is that cooler on my 480....

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/176/04062012317.jpg

But what games do you want me to bench my 580 on?

are these enough for you: Crysis 2, Crysis Warhead, Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, Witcher 2, 3Dmark vantage, 3dmark 11. Do you need some more? if yes, then list them please.

two last questions:

1. How much performance increase can I expect from a Stock 580 to a 900Mhz and above 580.
2. For some reason when I unlock the voltage control on the MSI after burner, I see that my voltage is set to 1037mv. I believe that its too high for stock clocks. Should I update my card bios with the latest one that is available on techpowerup or should I just decrease the voltage a little lower and then start overclocking?

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Games i have that are bench worthy:
-BF3
-Crysis 2
-Crysis/warhead
-Metro 2033
-Batman arkham asylum
-BFBC2
-Alien VS Predator
-The chronicals of riddick: assault on dark athena
-Far Cry 2
-Mafia 2
-Resident Evil 5
-Stalker COP
-Stalker CS
-Stalker SOC

Ok then I will post all those results a day after on your thread and let u know via PM. And for overclocking can I use EVGA OC scanner to check the stability or should I use Furmark.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
OCCT is my recommendation, it has a error checker ;)

Well. its decided then. I will try overclocking tomorrow and post all the bench results a day after. Thank you and @matto17secs and all the others as well for all the help and valuable suggestions guys.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

So do you recommend me to disable that feature and then run OCCT or just run some games like Metro, Crysis and Battlefield 3 and kombuster for checking stability?

The sky is the limit but just be safe with the voltage and if the chokes began to really buzz (coil squeal) then you might need to rma or mod. It is the chokes that are the main thing that holds these cards back.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

Then I believe I will just check the stability using Metro, Crysis and Kombuster. Its better to be safe and stay away from OCCT and Furmark.

Agreed. Nothing beats just playing your favorite games for 15-20 minutes. With Kombustor, I find that OC's seem stable, but the problems occur when I fire up a game.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

You've got a PM. Let me know your overclocking progress?

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

I tried overclocking today at stock volts 1038mv at 835Mhz and then ran kombuster. But after reaching 75 degrees I got a tiny message at the right on Kombuster saying 'GPU Throtting 418Mhz". What is that?

My temps never went above 76 degrees on a custom fan profile.

That's the throttling function. The same thing happened to me. I guess you can't really use Kombustor, at least the stress test option. I haven't tried the benchmark option to see if that throttles.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Here is vid of my 480 in BF3, it uses the GPU massively, i don't break 65c... and if i stay below 75c, i can manage higher overclocks!. Temperature is the main issue with stability.
I may be able to puch past 900mhz in this title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCrWg5nc3xU

@recon-uk - I am getting my Battlefield 3 copy tomorrow. So I will probably test it out and then post my overclocking results on this thread. I will also post the bench test results that you asked on your Nvidia/AMD bench thread as well.

TRENDING THREADS