My dad wants a computer just for browsing the internet. I don't know anything about low end components since I built a gaming computer. I was thinking a build with one of those AMD processors that has both a processor and gpu in it. Forgot what they ae called lol.
Really, most anything will do. What is your budget?
Here are my ideas:
1) If you don't already have a monitor, get a good one, preferably a large one. Small text is hard on older eyes.
For web browsing, consider two, or a second one.
2) Integrated graphics is fine, either amd or Intel.
3) If you have a space problem, look for a small ITX case. Something like a lian li Q07 or a Antec ISK 150/300.
4) Any modern dual core will be fine; I suggest a I3-G620 or similar.
5) Here is the real must-have, as far as I am concerned. Get a SSD. It is THE most important component for performance.
60-80gb will be good. Only if there is a need to store video's would you add a hard drive.
6) For software, install a simple antivirus, Microsoft security essentials is good and unobtrusive.
Take the time to install some sort of tracking protection list. I use abine tpl, and my response time on tom's has been vastly improved.
Set the pc up so that you can sleep to the s3 sleep state(to ram). It is much faster to sleep and wake than a cold boot.
7) Ram is cheap. get 8gb.