Form Factor on a server Motherboard?

gaate

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hey, I recently bought a Dell PowerEdge DCSCS24SC server, here's the URL

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/StoreCatalog/ctl641/cp59366/si6287206/cl1/dell_poweredge_dcscs24sc_server_2x_25ghz_xeon_quad_core_8gb_ram_1x250gb_hdd?offset=&isLaptop=N

I need something to run a few programs 24/7 on. I was reading a lot about how loud those very small, wide fans can be and I was wondering if I could put the server into a pedestal case, Its got 2 CPU's so I really have no idea what form factor the motherboard could be (the server is 1U) , also the FF is not listed on any of the websites I have seen.

Here is a link to a place to buy the motherboard by itself.

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-6843/Dell-C295H-Dual-Xeon/Detail

Does anyone know if this would fit into a more regular case, possibly a ATX or XL ATX case?

Thanks

gaate

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Ya I intend on changing the CPU coolers. Thanks for the info on the mobo. I'll figure something out for the I/O shield. I'll have to do some research, but would a regular psu work? I'll also do research on the HDD backplane. Never worked with server hardware before so this will be a learning experience.

gaate

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Not sure if anyone is looking at this anymore, but can Anyone tell me if I actually need the HDD backplane? I only plan to use 1 hard drive atm and don't know how I would mount it in a regular case.

nigelren

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
The HDD backplane is usually to allow you to use the hotplug drive bays on the front of the normal server case. The board looks as though there are 4 sata ports ( the black plugs on the opposite side of the board from the memory sockets I think ) which you can plug into drives mounted in a normal case.

I couldn't find a service manual with the details for this model. Just open the case a check the connectors. It's not very likely that a standard ATX psu plug will fit. Concerning the hdd backplane you need to check how it is connected to the mobo. If it's a cable it might be a SFF-XXXX type and you can use it or replace it with a 1:4 type.