Setup 3 Monitors with 2 DP and 1 HDMI on Envy 17 3090nr

jamman89

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hello,
I recently purchased the HP Envy 3090nr 3D with the Radeon HD 7690M XT Switchable Graphics (1 GB GDDR5)

It comes with 2 DP and 1 HDMI. I would like to setup 3 monitors but have read forum after forum and am getting confused on what I need don't need, can and can't do.

So from what i gather I need an approved dongle from AMD. or do I?
I haven't purchased any more mointors other than the 20" I have that is VGA.

ultimately, what do I need to set this up properly and what are good monitors to use since the DP mointors I've seen are a bit pricey.

Solution

Maybe what you mean is "active display port to DVI adapter". Yes, the display port adapter is needed if your display do not have the display port.

Are you aiming at (a) 3...

randomkid

Distinguished

Maybe what you mean is "active display port to DVI adapter". Yes, the display port adapter is needed if your display do not have the display port.

Are you aiming at (a) 3 external monitors on top of your laptop display or (a) do you count the laptop display among the 3 monitors.
If (a) 3 in excess of your laptop, then it is best to purchase same models or if you wish to use the 20" you have, then something as close to it as possible with regards to bezel width ( in case such model is no longer available for sale ). And yes, monitor with DP ports are not essential because a DVI or VGA type monitor + active adapter will still come out as cheaper. Besides you only need one adapter if you wish to have 3 displays.

Solution

jamman89

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
yes, I am aiming at 3 external monitors.

I'm interested in purchasing newer ones since the current one i have is just a VGA. What would you recommend? looking at 23"

So I would need a monitors setup as
(1) HDMI -> HDMI
(2) DP->Active DVI adapter-> DVI
(3)DP -> DP (or) could i do another DP to Active DVI adapter to DVI (since the DP monitors are a bit pricey)
Am I understanding that correctly that I would need ACTIVE adapter for BOTH DP?

Thank You

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
If you havent bought your hardware yet, rather than needing adapters I would just pay the slight extra and get monitors with display ports. This way you dont need to spend the extra on the adapters or go thru the pain in the a$$ they can cause. I'd recommend the Asus Ve248Q monitors (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236154&Tpk=Ve248q), they seem to be the best display port monitors for the price. I run 3 of them. However, as randomkid said, if your goal is gaming, good luck, with a mobile chip, even a 7690 is going to struggle at EyeFinity resolutions, you will have to disable AA and dial down A LOT of settings to get playable performance.