lvl 40 mage, talent setup?

Toby

Hi, I am nearing level 40 in 'magedom' (at last) and was wondering, what would
be my best talent setup at this point, for maximum efficiency and use in PvE
encounters etc?

mtia

#
T.

mikel

Toby wrote:
> Hi, I am nearing level 40 in 'magedom' (at last) and was wondering, what would
> be my best talent setup at this point, for maximum efficiency and use in PvE
> encounters etc?

How do you play? Do you attack quests at the limit of what you can do
and fight monsters at or above your own level? Do you often fight
spellcasters one-on-one? Do you want the strongest one-on-one damage?
Then put your talents in the Fire tree.

Do you prefer to take easy quests for the fastest accumulation of
rewards and experience? Do you fight groups of monsters a few levels
lower than you, so that it's possible to AOE groups of them to death? Do
you fight lots of melee fighters? Do you want the strongest AOE damage?
Then put your talents in the Frost tree.

If you go the Fire route, at level 40 you are at a sort of crossroads.
Below that, you get much more benefit from adding talent to Fire.
Somewhere around 40 it starts to make sense to put talent in Arcane. At
level 60, there is great benefit to having 31 points in Arcane, because
you can have Arcane Power and Presence of Mind (which greatly enhance
your damage output), Improved Arcane Explosion (which, with 5 points in
it, makes an entirely new and important tactic available -- the tactic
of blasting enemies while dodging and running), and Evocation (which
reduces downtime noticeably). At 40, the benefits of Arcane are not so
great, but you can put 20 points in Fire and then enough points in
Arcane to either get Evocation or to just start to work on Improved
Arcane Explosion. Being sensible, you are probably better off spending
the talent in Fire to improve your damage further, and then planning a
respec to Arcane later. But it's not totally unreasonable to start
building your Arcane talents, particularly if you're trying to limit the
number of respecs you have to do.

In article <vuAwe.945$j04.392@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
mikel <mikel@evins.net> wrote:

> Toby wrote:
> > Hi, I am nearing level 40 in 'magedom' (at last) and was wondering, what
> > would
> > be my best talent setup at this point, for maximum efficiency and use in
> > PvE
> > encounters etc?
>
> How do you play? Do you attack quests at the limit of what you can do
> and fight monsters at or above your own level? Do you often fight
> spellcasters one-on-one? Do you want the strongest one-on-one damage?
> Then put your talents in the Fire tree.
>
> Do you prefer to take easy quests for the fastest accumulation of
> rewards and experience? Do you fight groups of monsters a few levels
> lower than you, so that it's possible to AOE groups of them to death? Do
> you fight lots of melee fighters? Do you want the strongest AOE damage?
> Then put your talents in the Frost tree.
>
> If you go the Fire route, at level 40 you are at a sort of crossroads.
> Below that, you get much more benefit from adding talent to Fire.
> Somewhere around 40 it starts to make sense to put talent in Arcane. At
> level 60, there is great benefit to having 31 points in Arcane, because
> you can have Arcane Power and Presence of Mind (which greatly enhance
> your damage output), Improved Arcane Explosion (which, with 5 points in
> it, makes an entirely new and important tactic available -- the tactic
> of blasting enemies while dodging and running), and Evocation (which
> reduces downtime noticeably). At 40, the benefits of Arcane are not so
> great, but you can put 20 points in Fire and then enough points in
> Arcane to either get Evocation or to just start to work on Improved
> Arcane Explosion. Being sensible, you are probably better off spending
> the talent in Fire to improve your damage further, and then planning a
> respec to Arcane later. But it's not totally unreasonable to start
> building your Arcane talents, particularly if you're trying to limit the
> number of respecs you have to do.

At level 45, I'm dealing with these same decisions. 31 points in Fire,
just a few in Arcane. The problem I see coming is that while I know I
should re-spec for 31 Arcane talents to be a decent pvp'er, I don't
think I can give up Combustion + Pyroblast (+ Ignite!)... I LOVE the
nuclear missile! And with a few points thrown into improved fireball
range, I can surprise the enemy with a bolt of death when they think I'm
out of range, or don't even see me because I'm on the other side of a
hill (don't ask me about Blizzard's logic with allowing ranged attacks
thru many tons of solid earth).

Basically, I think Blizzard needs to make an exception for me. Give me,
Purge @ Eonar, 62 instead of the normal 51 talent points and I'll stop
my whining.

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (43), Undead mage
Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

"Toby" <toby@msdn.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am nearing level 40 in 'magedom' (at last) and was wondering, what
> would
> be my best talent setup at this point, for maximum efficiency and use in
> PvE
> encounters etc?

I'm lvl 45 and I got up to presence of mind and imp arcane explosion in
arcane before hitting the fire tree. I do less damage than primarily
fire-specced but I never have a problem with adds or mutiple low level mobs
or fire/frost resistant mobs. I do spend a lot of time drinking in between
fights but I expect that to improve as I spec out Fire. I rule in SM/Uldaman
in parties and can instant-sheep adds before anyone thinks about hitting
them. I'm always highest damage dealer in parties unless there's also a
fire-specced mage.

I'm pretty happy to be honest.

mikel

chocolatemalt wrote:
> In article <vuAwe.945$j04.392@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> mikel <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
>

>>Toby wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, I am nearing level 40 in 'magedom' (at last) and was wondering, what
>>>would
>>>be my best talent setup at this point, for maximum efficiency and use in
>>>PvE
>>>encounters etc?
>>
>>How do you play? Do you attack quests at the limit of what you can do
>>and fight monsters at or above your own level? Do you often fight
>>spellcasters one-on-one? Do you want the strongest one-on-one damage?
>>Then put your talents in the Fire tree.
>>
>>Do you prefer to take easy quests for the fastest accumulation of
>>rewards and experience? Do you fight groups of monsters a few levels
>>lower than you, so that it's possible to AOE groups of them to death? Do
>>you fight lots of melee fighters? Do you want the strongest AOE damage?
>>Then put your talents in the Frost tree.
>>
>>If you go the Fire route, at level 40 you are at a sort of crossroads.
>>Below that, you get much more benefit from adding talent to Fire.
>>Somewhere around 40 it starts to make sense to put talent in Arcane. At
>>level 60, there is great benefit to having 31 points in Arcane, because
>>you can have Arcane Power and Presence of Mind (which greatly enhance
>>your damage output), Improved Arcane Explosion (which, with 5 points in
>>it, makes an entirely new and important tactic available -- the tactic
>>of blasting enemies while dodging and running), and Evocation (which
>>reduces downtime noticeably). At 40, the benefits of Arcane are not so
>>great, but you can put 20 points in Fire and then enough points in
>>Arcane to either get Evocation or to just start to work on Improved
>>Arcane Explosion. Being sensible, you are probably better off spending
>>the talent in Fire to improve your damage further, and then planning a
>>respec to Arcane later. But it's not totally unreasonable to start
>>building your Arcane talents, particularly if you're trying to limit the
>>number of respecs you have to do.
>

> At level 45, I'm dealing with these same decisions. 31 points in Fire,
> just a few in Arcane. The problem I see coming is that while I know I
> should re-spec for 31 Arcane talents to be a decent pvp'er, I don't
> think I can give up Combustion + Pyroblast (+ Ignite!)... I LOVE the
> nuclear missile!

<snip>

Just keep building out Fire until you hit 60. Then, after you've had
that build for a while and you're getting a little bored, respec to 31
Arcane / 20 Fire. The novelty will help you forget the things you have
to give up, and boy, are you gonna love Arcane Power and Presence of
Mind (just imagine a Pyroblast that is instant cast and causes an extra
35% damage). Not to mention all the fun you can have when you have
Improved Arcane Explosion at 5/5.