Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ipod photo

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:05:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Anyone in the group using an Ipod for photo transfers? I bought an
Ipod for music and then discovered the camera adaptor and found that it
works fine tansfering RAW files from Camera to Ipod then Ipod to
computer. Sticky part is how to erase the files from the Ipod after
transfering to the computer. Any suggestions. Ipod support on CD and
Ipod booklet seems to have nothing about REMOVING anything. Thanks.

More about : ipod photo

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:01:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks, I finally discovered that after realizing the appropriate menu
doesn't show up unitl there is actually something to remove.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:27:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 21 Aug 2005 11:05:37 -0700, babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote:

>Anyone in the group using an Ipod for photo transfers? I bought an
>Ipod for music and then discovered the camera adaptor and found that it
>works fine tansfering RAW files from Camera to Ipod then Ipod to

Can the iPod Photo actually display the RAW files. In particular,
what about Nikon's encrypted RAW files?
Related resources
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:56:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Can't view them. You get only an icon saying RAW in place of the
thumbnail. I shot some tests with a D50 set on "RAW plus JPEG" and the
JPEG is viewable on the Ipod, both will transfer later to the computer
with separate JPEG and NEF extensions. I used Nikon's trial software
that came with the camera to transfer from the Ipod to the computer
(Mac), worked fine. Iphoto didn't support viewing or transfering RAW
from the Ipod to the computer. I have a copy of Photoshop on order and
assume everything will work well there since it worked with the Nikon
software.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:59:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 8/21/05 2:05 PM, in article
1124647537.424334.232460@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
"babalooixnay@hotmail.com" <babalooixnay@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone in the group using an Ipod for photo transfers? I bought an
> Ipod for music and then discovered the camera adaptor and found that it
> works fine tansfering RAW files from Camera to Ipod then Ipod to
> computer. Sticky part is how to erase the files from the Ipod after
> transfering to the computer. Any suggestions. Ipod support on CD and
> Ipod booklet seems to have nothing about REMOVING anything. Thanks.
>
You can always delete individual Rolls from your iPod without connecting it
to anything by going through the menus on the iPod screen:

Photos | Photo Import | (choose which Roll #) | Delete

Hth,
NB
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:38:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 21 Aug 2005 11:05:37 -0700, babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote:

>Anyone in the group using an Ipod for photo transfers? I bought an
>Ipod for music and then discovered the camera adaptor and found that it
>works fine tansfering RAW files from Camera to Ipod then Ipod to
>computer. Sticky part is how to erase the files from the Ipod after
>transfering to the computer. Any suggestions. Ipod support on CD and
>Ipod booklet seems to have nothing about REMOVING anything. Thanks.

I was given the 20GB iPod when I bought my OLy E300. I find the Belkin connector
a pain in the butt. It can take as much as 3-5 minutes to download 5 MB and that
would be just one picture. Apparently there is no USB2 adapter for that.
As for deleting, you do that on the computer when you have downloaded and
CHECKED that the pictures are ok. I have seen several picures where I just get a
part of a picture with the rest of the screen blank. It is possible to do
another copy of such picture - Good Luck.

Borge
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:38:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:38:05 +0800, nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21
Lat. 115,47.40> wrote:

>On 21 Aug 2005 11:05:37 -0700, babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Anyone in the group using an Ipod for photo transfers? I bought an
>>Ipod for music and then discovered the camera adaptor and found that it
>>works fine tansfering RAW files from Camera to Ipod then Ipod to
>>computer. Sticky part is how to erase the files from the Ipod after
>>transfering to the computer. Any suggestions. Ipod support on CD and
>>Ipod booklet seems to have nothing about REMOVING anything. Thanks.
>
>I was given the 20GB iPod when I bought my OLy E300. I find the Belkin connector
>a pain in the butt. It can take as much as 3-5 minutes to download 5 MB and that
>would be just one picture. Apparently there is no USB2 adapter for that.


>As for deleting, you do that on the computer when you have downloaded and
>CHECKED that the pictures are ok. I have seen several picures where I just get a
>part of a picture with the rest of the screen blank. It is possible to do
>another copy of such picture - Good Luck.


I'm confused. In your previous post, you said that the iPod photo
will show up in Explorer as another USB2 device. That implies a
pretty fast file transfer rate.

Do you know why you have gotten only a partial picture download? Is
this a system error or operator error
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:38:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:38:05 +0800, nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21
Lat. 115,47.40> wrote:

>On 21 Aug 2005 11:05:37 -0700, babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Anyone in the group using an Ipod for photo transfers? I bought an
>>Ipod for music and then discovered the camera adaptor and found that it
>>works fine tansfering RAW files from Camera to Ipod then Ipod to
>>computer. Sticky part is how to erase the files from the Ipod after
>>transfering to the computer. Any suggestions. Ipod support on CD and
>>Ipod booklet seems to have nothing about REMOVING anything. Thanks.
>
>I was given the 20GB iPod when I bought my OLy E300. I find the Belkin connector
>a pain in the butt. It can take as much as 3-5 minutes to download 5 MB and that
>would be just one picture. Apparently there is no USB2 adapter for that.
>As for deleting, you do that on the computer when you have downloaded and
>CHECKED that the pictures are ok. I have seen several picures where I just get a
>part of a picture with the rest of the screen blank. It is possible to do
>another copy of such picture - Good Luck.

A while ago, there was a thread in one of the rec.photo groups about a
review done by a British magazine of six "data tanks" for
photographers. The iPod came out last.

Aside from the transfer rate issue, do you lack any features for photo
use? By any chance, have you compared the iPod photo with the Epson
2000 device, which gets very high ratings. Yet the Epson can store
only the old-style DOS 8.3 filenames, a severe limitation IMNSHO.

Fathers Kodak.
>
>Borge
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:40:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 21 Aug 2005 15:56:03 -0700, babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote:

>Can't view them. You get only an icon saying RAW in place of the
>thumbnail. I shot some tests with a D50 set on "RAW plus JPEG" and the
>JPEG is viewable on the Ipod, both will transfer later to the computer
>with separate JPEG and NEF extensions. I used Nikon's trial software
>that came with the camera to transfer from the Ipod to the computer
>(Mac), worked fine. Iphoto didn't support viewing or transfering RAW
>from the Ipod to the computer. I have a copy of Photoshop on order and
>assume everything will work well there since it worked with the Nikon
>software.

When the iPOd is connected via the USB2, it should show in the explorer as just
another device - try it - you will be surprised.

Borge
August 22, 2005 3:36:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Per Father Kodak:
>I'm confused. In your previous post, you said that the iPod photo
>will show up in Explorer as another USB2 device. That implies a
>pretty fast file transfer rate.

I don't have an iPod Photo, but I've got the old 40-gigger.

iPod-To-PC/USB2 is a pretty fast connection. At the end of my workday at a
client site, I routinely back up a gig or two of data through it.

Camera-to-iPod might be a different scenario. I know almost nothing about USB,
but am pretty sure that when there is a connection one device has to take on the
role of 'Server'. In the former case, the PC would have that role. In the
latter case, I'd think the iPod would have to be the 'Server'. If that
assumption is true, I could envision that the limited processing power of iPod's
chipset could make the transfer time slower.

Maybe somebody who actually knows something could chime in here....
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:28:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:20:46 -0700, Father Kodak <dont_bother@IDontCare.COM>
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:38:05 +0800, nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21
>Lat. 115,47.40> wrote:
>
>>On 21 Aug 2005 11:05:37 -0700, babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone in the group using an Ipod for photo transfers? I bought an
>>>Ipod for music and then discovered the camera adaptor and found that it
>>>works fine tansfering RAW files from Camera to Ipod then Ipod to
>>>computer. Sticky part is how to erase the files from the Ipod after
>>>transfering to the computer. Any suggestions. Ipod support on CD and
>>>Ipod booklet seems to have nothing about REMOVING anything. Thanks.
>>
>>I was given the 20GB iPod when I bought my OLy E300. I find the Belkin connector
>>a pain in the butt. It can take as much as 3-5 minutes to download 5 MB and that
>>would be just one picture. Apparently there is no USB2 adapter for that.
>>As for deleting, you do that on the computer when you have downloaded and
>>CHECKED that the pictures are ok. I have seen several picures where I just get a
>>part of a picture with the rest of the screen blank. It is possible to do
>>another copy of such picture - Good Luck.
>
>A while ago, there was a thread in one of the rec.photo groups about a
>review done by a British magazine of six "data tanks" for
>photographers. The iPod came out last.
>
>Aside from the transfer rate issue, do you lack any features for photo
>use? By any chance, have you compared the iPod photo with the Epson
>2000 device, which gets very high ratings. Yet the Epson can store
>only the old-style DOS 8.3 filenames, a severe limitation IMNSHO.
>
>Fathers Kodak.
>>
>>Borge

I have no trouble with computer to ipod and back and indeed I easily use the
iPod as a hard Disk for taking programs to friends. It is mainly the Belkin
which is the connection from the camera to iPod which is taking the time. The
other operation is done at USB2 speed.

Borge
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:07:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

FWIW 159 RAW plus JPEG BASIC shots on a 1 gig card took 29 minutes to
download from a Nikon N50 to 60 Gig Ipod using the Ipod adaptor and an
USB 2.0 cable. However, all may be a moot point as the relatively
hassle free 1st time transfer from Ipod to Mac using Mac's latest OS
and Nikon's capture program wouldn't function at all the second time I
tried it. Seems to recognize the Ipod for a split second then drops it
out. I'm not planning to use the Nikon program and am still on the
trial version while awaiting delivery of Photoshop. We'll have to see
what happens further. FWIW Nikon's pretty foolish asking someone to
pay an extra 100 buck's for software that comes with pages of errata
before you even load it. Don't do this and don't do that cause
obviously we released this way before it was debugged. Criminy, that's
why I left Gates' crowd!
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 11:39:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Once again FWIW. Found the problem with the downloading from Ipod to
Mac. The Ipod must be enabled as a disc to work with the Capture
program. Downloading 1 gig (159 RAW and 159 JPEG BASIC) took 7 and a
half minutes from Ipod to Mac. Bottom line? I was buying a 20 gig
Ipod for music then saw something about the camera adaptor and for a
hundred thirty bucks extra got the adaptor and the 60 gig Ipod. Not
blazingly fast but for the 130 bucks over the 20 gig I got the ability
to shoot over 6000 RAW plus JPEGs without taking the camera anywhere
near a laptop. I like that idea when traveling light. One thing to
watch is battery power on the Ipod. Drained nearly a full Ipod battery
downloading from camera to Ipod so you'll still need a recharging
source every 150 shots or so.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:51:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 23 Aug 2005 19:39:28 -0700, babalooixnay@hotmail.com wrote:

>Once again FWIW. Found the problem with the downloading from Ipod to
>Mac. The Ipod must be enabled as a disc to work with the Capture
>program. Downloading 1 gig (159 RAW and 159 JPEG BASIC) took 7 and a
>half minutes from Ipod to Mac. Bottom line? I was buying a 20 gig
>Ipod for music then saw something about the camera adaptor and for a
>hundred thirty bucks extra got the adaptor and the 60 gig Ipod. Not
>blazingly fast but for the 130 bucks over the 20 gig I got the ability
>to shoot over 6000 RAW plus JPEGs without taking the camera anywhere
>near a laptop. I like that idea when traveling light. One thing to
>watch is battery power on the Ipod. Drained nearly a full Ipod battery
>downloading from camera to Ipod so you'll still need a recharging
>source every 150 shots or so.

Gee, that's a sad commentary on iPod battery life. So if you want to
fill up the iPod with 6000 shots, you need forty battery charge
cycles? That seems wrong somehow.

I guess you'll need some accessories that give you extra battery life
out in the field, and an AC adapter for in-room use. More stuff to
carry around. No wonder we all have aching backs these days.

Abu Kodak
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:54:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

It'll get worse I'm sure when the battery starts to age. Ipod's worst
feature. Somewhere around someone has posted a little rig made with an
altoid tin that uses AA batteries.

For portability ithe Ipod works as you can always find power somewhere
and it comes with it's own charger. Way in the field you could always
rig up a small solar charger. Wouldn't be much worse than the laptop.
Also got to look at 6000 shots equals 166 rolls of film that had to go
somewhere and back:) 
!