Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2012 7:46:38 AM

Hello All,

I currently have a setup that runs:

Crosshair IV Extreme
Phenom II 1090T Black
Ultra X4 750W
PowerColor PCS+ HD6850

I've been running 3 monitors smoothly on this single GPU, but I've recently acquired another monitor from an old computer at home.

So I have 2 HP 2509m and now 2 Acer AL2216W. I was wondering what the best option/possible options are to run all 4 monitors:

1) I know the PCS+ can only handle 3 monitors (2 DVI & 1 DP or 1 DVI, 1 HDMI & 1 DP) and I recently had the option of grabbing another PCS+ HD6850!!! :)  if I Crossfire I know I still won't be able to get 4 monitors, but if I decide to run the cards separately without XF could I possibly run 2 monitors on each video card? Is it possible to run both GPUs separately? is 750W enough power?

2) How would I utilize the Lucid Tech with 2 video cards and 4 monitors? Worth the trouble/is it possible?

3) Or Should I just buy a better card that can run all 4 monitors? rather than getting that 2nd PCS+? An answer to the first 2 would be amazing.

Thanks!

More about : hd6850s monitors

Best solution

a b C Monitor
June 4, 2012 8:05:31 AM

What do you mean by lucid tech? lucidlogix is an Intel integrated gpu switcher which has no bearing here. All I can think of.

What resolutions are your monitors? are you gaming? 4 monitors would be unbalanced for eyefinity. And the 6850 doesnt have enough memory for multimonitor with 1080p displays. if its for productivity you can get any cheapo card to run the 4th monitor.

You can of course run the gpus seperatly with 2 on each but you couldn't game across all 4 and if you aren't gaming, again, any cheap card would do.
June 4, 2012 8:11:18 AM

unksol said:
What do you mean by lucid tech? lucidlogix is an Intel integrated gpu switcher which has no bearing here. All I can think of.

What resolutions are your monitors? are you gaming? 4 monitors would be unbalanced for eyefinity. And the 6850 doesnt have enough memory for multimonitor with 1080p displays. if its for productivity you can get any cheapo card to run the 4th monitor.

You can of course run the gpus seperatly with 2 on each but you couldn't game across all 4 and if you aren't gaming, again, any cheap card would do.

the 2509m can to 1920x1080 and the AL22s can do 1680x1050

:??:  Oh I don't know much about Lucid but I know my C4E Mobo has it. So wanted to throw it out there :D 

So if i grab a random card i can just run the 4th off it? I have an old HSI 512mb HD4670 if i just pop it in I can make it work?

I am not planning on using eyefinity.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
June 4, 2012 8:16:10 AM

jmtadena said:
the 2509m can to 1920x1080 and the AL22s can do 1680x1050

:??:  Oh I don't know much about Lucid but I know my C4E Mobo has it. So wanted to throw it out there :D 

So if i grab a random card i can just run the 4th off it? I have an old HSI 512mb HD4670 if i just pop it in I can make it work?

I am not planning on using eyefinity.

The 4670 should work since its an AMD card. Shouldn't cause any driver conflicts.

On a side note ultra makes pretty bad PSUs. You shouldn't be anywhere near what its rated and your not gaming so you should be fine. Just caught my eye
m
l
June 4, 2012 8:35:51 AM

unksol said:
The 4670 should work since its an AMD card. Shouldn't cause any driver conflicts.

On a side note ultra makes pretty bad PSUs. You shouldn't be anywhere near what its rated and your not gaming so you should be fine. Just caught my eye

Have any good PSU Calculators? I used http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
It said recommended if I filled everything correctly was 475W

I know you mentioned I shouldn't be anywhere rated and 475W is def not 750W, but let me fill you in on the rest of the computer, in case I should need to get a PSU greater than 750W.

ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme
AMD Phenom II 1090T Black OC'd to 3.5GHz @ 1.35v? (might have to look at that again its been awhile)
CM Hyper N520
CM HAF 932 (All the Stock Fans running)
2x Crucial M4s 128GB (RAID 0)
1x Samsung Spinpoint Terabyte
4x Mushkin 996657 at 1.85v
1x DVDRW
1x PowerColor PCS+ HD6850.

I'll game here and there, but nothing major... maybe CS:S, World of Tanks or SC2 when I have time.... I am sure I can set up a profile where I can shut down useless monitors when I don't need them for video editing/rendering and coding.
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 4, 2012 9:01:48 AM

PSU calculators are usually high. I'd guess your closer to 400W But you want to be a 100-150W over that. 750W is more than enough. The thing is its not about wattage. PSU manufacturers flat out lie. They'll slap a 600W label on a PSU that will blow up at 400W(looking at you cooler master). Count 5V wattage that no one uses, use rail labeling to confuse people, can have bad shutdown circuits, poor voltage control etc etc.

There are only a few companies that actually make PSUs and people like ultra order them and can sell from different manufacturers. Sometimes the higher wattage/series ones are different manufacturers/majorly different designs and are actually OK. That seems to be the case with yours now that I look and you wont push it so I wouldn't worry about changing it. Its actually OK vs a lot of their lower ones.

www.bjorn3d.com/2009/12/ultra-x4-750-watt-modular-psu/

If you're shopping for a new one in the future at some point there should be some good stickies in the PSU section on brands, wattage, etc. You can usually find professional reviews that test and open them up with Google when checking a specific model
m
l
June 4, 2012 4:48:59 PM

Best answer selected by jmtadena.
m
l
!