First Time Builder-$800 Gaming PC

iMikeTheKing

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I finally talked myself into building a gaming PC. I have been really satisfied with gaming on Consoles but I think t is time for me to add PC to the list. I'm trying to keep the build under $800 but I can settle for a little bit over.

Approximate Purchase Date: October-December (Black Friday or Cyber Week could work)

Budget Range: $800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming. I most likely will do some video editing also

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, amazon.com

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900. I'm looking to upgrade to a 1920x1080 in the future

Additional Comments: This will be my first personal build. I did one build in my Networking class, but half of the class was doing it also. I'm looking to play games like ARMA 2 (and 3 when that is released), Battlefield, Medal of Honor, etc...

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I need a gaming PC

I came up with this list
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dBU8

Solution
See, the prices will change quite a bit by october-december. Sometimes it might go up but mostly it will go down. I recommend waiting a few more months before deciding what to buy. I can give you some examples of what you should be looking for though:

cpu: i5 - 2500k or 3570k
gpu: Radeon 7870 or GTX 570
power: any 600-650W
motherboard: g77 or z77 depending if you want to overclock it

that should give you a rough idea. Hope I helped.

oh and gtx 670 won't work for 800$. I'm trying to include it in my 1k$ comp but barely can.
G

i have a few questions.

what size hard drive

atx or micro atx

do you want to have your power supply be able to sli/xfire or would you rather save some cash and upgrade when you sli/xfire?

i personally think you should get one strong card like a gtx 670 so you can sli if needed but it isnt really necessary, itll push your budget but itll be worth it. gtx 660 should be out by the time you are looking to buy

core i5 or core i3

if you want an ssd or ssd + hard drive you will have to expand your budget

devilofdeaths

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
cpu: i53570k
gpu:6870
psu:corsair cx600
HDD:seagate barracuda 1tb
mobo:asrock extrame4
optical drive:lite on ihas 124
case:cooler master haf 912 or elite 431
that's all i can think of sorry no links im a bit lazy but that's about $700-$800

iMikeTheKing

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I'm sorry I do have a mouse, keyboard, monitor. vanwazltoff, I'm looking an atx motherboard. hard drive size, I have no idea, since I will do some video editing but that will be more for fun. I'm looking at the i5. I was thinking abot having a strong card now like the gtx 670. I had no idea the gtx 660 was even going to be released but if that price range is true I might buy it for the build.

devilofdeaths, the links don't matter.Thanks

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
See, the prices will change quite a bit by october-december. Sometimes it might go up but mostly it will go down. I recommend waiting a few more months before deciding what to buy. I can give you some examples of what you should be looking for though:

cpu: i5 - 2500k or 3570k
gpu: Radeon 7870 or GTX 570
power: any 600-650W
motherboard: g77 or z77 depending if you want to overclock it

that should give you a rough idea. Hope I helped.

oh and gtx 670 won't work for 800$. I'm trying to include it in my 1k$ comp but barely can.

Solution

iMikeTheKing

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Thanks badhomaks. I think I will wait since we are a few months away from my time frame. I just wanted to get an example of what I could get. I may be able to up the budget but I will have to wait and see.

G

he is planning on buying during cyber week, who knows how much he can save, thats why i said go for a 670, even if he has to pay a bit extra, its worth it

G