Sign in with
Your question

Black Screen after Windows logo

Last response: in Systems
July 27, 2012 12:46:41 AM

I built a system in 2009 that worked great until my old graphics card (GTX 285) stopped working properly. I sent it off for RMA and got a GTX 560 as a replacement. Before I sent it off I tried installing a friends 570 to use while waiting for my new card to arrive. I did the whole uninstall old drivers in safe mode thing, even though the drivers are the same for both cards. The card worked BEFORE installing drivers but AFTER drivers were installed it didn't get past the Windows logo. The monitor just said it lost the signal and went black. The fans continue to spin and the lights all stay on. You can still get into safe mode just fine. I tried putting the 285 back in and it all booted and worked fine (aside from the issue I RMA'd for) I thought it was maybe something wrong with the 570 so I tried his 5870. Same thing. So I send off the 285 and go computerless waiting for my new 560 to come in. Same thing again. I've tried everything I can think of I'll try to list it all here.

-Re-install drivers multiple times
-Restore older version of Windows
-Update BIOS
-Re-install physical card several times.
-Install legacy drivers
-Reset CMOS
-Re-install Windows 7 (fresh install)

I might be forgetting a few things but I've tried everything I could find on various forums including this one. Most people point to a driver issue but I've tried this over 10 times and the old install and the new. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciate, I really don't know where to go from here.

GA-MA790X-UD4P
AMD 955 Phenom II x4
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) - PGD38G1333ELK
Corsair HX Professional Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
July 27, 2012 11:29:50 AM

Is it possible all 3 cards are just duds? Seems unlikely.
m
l
!