Will this graphics card work?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2012 10:31:17 AM

Hello,
I have a pretty much stock Zoostorm desktop PC. Specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5Ghz
4Gb Ram
305W PSU
(A Foxconn motherboard, but I don't know the specific model. I am confident it has the right slots however)

I asked online what would be the best graphics card I could get on my puny PSU, and was recommended a AMD Radeon HD 7750 graphics card. However, on the website, AMD say that this card requires a 400W PSU. Can anybody let me know as to whether this would work? I only intend to do some light gaming such as WoW.

Thanks

More about : graphics card work

a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 12:26:08 PM

It will work. The manufacturer's tend to exaggerate on the required power for GPU. The 7750 does not need a power connector so it uses less than 80watts (power supplied to the PCIe slot)
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 12:30:32 PM

akxpckwb said:
It will work. The manufacturer's tend to exaggerate on the required power for GPU. The 7750 does not need a power connector so it uses less than 80watts (power supplied to the PCIe slot)

It used to be very simple but now, we have to be more careful when recommending the 7750 as AMD have released another version of the 7750 which needs a 6PIN PCIe:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/amd-radeon-hd-7750-9...
June 4, 2012 12:33:34 PM

It will likely work, I'd still say it would be a wise choice to upgrade your power supply though, also there is a chance your CPU and ram wll bottle neck the performance of the card.
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 1:26:59 PM

eggbrook said:
It will likely work, I'd still say it would be a wise choice to upgrade your power supply though, also there is a chance your CPU and ram wll bottle neck the performance of the card.

He is talking about the 7750. There is no way it will be bottlenecked by the Q8300.
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 6:11:51 PM

randomkid said:
It used to be very simple but now, we have to be more careful when recommending the 7750 as AMD have released another version of the 7750 which needs a 6PIN PCIe:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/amd-radeon-hd-7750-9...

I was not aware of this. Thanks for the info. They should have given it another name tho
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2012 7:13:30 PM

They are all basically the same. Different brands make them and they look different but if you check out the specifications they are all pretty much the same.
The PCIe slots are backwards compatible which means a PCIe 2.0 card will work on a 1.0 slot so no worries here
June 5, 2012 7:30:52 PM

Is a PCIe the one with a small slot, followed by a larger slot and then a clip? Sorry to sound quite so incompetent!

Also, which of those three would you recommend?
a c 191 U Graphics card
June 5, 2012 8:14:53 PM

The PCIe one we are talking about is the one that has the "x16" next to it.
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2012 8:15:14 PM

You can check out your motherboard manual to see where the PCIe slot is located but yes that's the one. Be sure to use the PCIe x16 slot since there's probably at least one x1 slot. Picture for reference: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=pcie+slot&hl=en&biw=1360...
When it comes to GPU's I usually prefer Sapphire. If that's not available I take the cheapest I can find. However you will find reports of people having good experiences and bad experiences no matter the brand
June 5, 2012 8:52:15 PM

Okay right, thanks for that guys. Im pretty sure I have the right PCIe slot now. I looked at the Sapphire, but I kinda liked the idea of a card which would only take up a single slot like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTX3D-Graphics-128-Bit-PCI-Expr...

I think I will go ahead and order this. (Partly because it's on Amazon Prime, so delivery time is a couple of days rather than a few weeks for the Sapphire) It does appear to have the 800MHz clock speed which Randomkid said I would need for my 305W PSU
June 5, 2012 9:01:27 PM

Wait, I have changed my mind. I think I prefer the Sapphire now, and it's also cheaper on eBuyer. I did some more research and it looks to have a slightly lower power consumption, which I assume is important when you have a very limited power supply. Thanks for all of your help.
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 12:05:58 AM

SamBruggen said:
Wait, I have changed my mind. I think I prefer the Sapphire now, and it's also cheaper on eBuyer. I did some more research and it looks to have a slightly lower power consumption, which I assume is important when you have a very limited power supply. Thanks for all of your help.

Okay. That's great.

I was about to comment against your previous selection of the single slot card. It might be cool to look at but it will be hotter & noisier because of the compact heatsink & puny fan ( which needs to spin faster than larger fans to deliver same airflow ).
!