Sign in with
Your question

Worth upgrading CPU at this point?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2012 6:26:44 PM

So i just upgrading my GPU to a sapphire 7950(OC) and am unsure whether at this point spending another 400-500$ on a new motherboard and i5/i7 is worth the money. At some point i will have to make the move over but if i changed over right now would i see a dramatic change in fps with some of the newer games such as Far Cry 3, hitman, AC3, ect? Or should i just hold out for a while?

I play at 1920x1080 btw

Current Specs:
MSI 870s-g46 mobo
8gb ddr3 1333 gskill ram
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.8 ghz (OC)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
750Watt Antec PSU
XFX Radeon 7950 (OC)
Windows 7 64bit
1 TB hdd
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 6:46:35 PM

The Phenom II 955 BE at 3.8GHz should be ok for awhile. If you want to upgrade your CPU wait until Haswell. You would see a big performance boost, but with your CPU being ok as it is and Haswell being only a few months away I would say it isn't worth it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 6:48:20 PM

It's solid. No need to change.
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2012 7:02:54 PM

Would it be that benificial to wait for haswell? Arent they are only supposed to be a rise of about 10% perfromance wise than the ivy along the the premium price on those things is going to be huge when they first come out.
m
l
December 8, 2012 7:03:24 PM

If you frequent this forum you will see most people opt to keep their setup and push it until the next big change happens.
I happen to agree with the previous posters in that the AMD Phenom X4 Black Editions are at the edge of performance to upgrade ratio. If you had anything less I'd recommend an upgrade. Enjoy your 7950, just make sure to turn the physics down a little for most cpu intensive games utilize it for physics.
m
l
December 8, 2012 7:26:13 PM

So i should just make do with what i have and then when haswell comes out get an ivy i5/i7? I just find myself having a hard time justiying spending 50% more on a new cpu that only raises performance by a small margin compared to the prior generation.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 7:29:04 PM

minidruid said:
Would it be that benificial to wait for haswell? Arent they are only supposed to be a rise of about 10% perfromance wise than the ivy along the the premium price on those things is going to be huge when they first come out.

With CPU 's newer is almost always better. They will definitely be more efficient for sure,and rumor has it they'll be the last CPU using current architecture. So yeah,worth the wait.
m
l
December 8, 2012 8:07:22 PM

Is it worth the money is more of my issue. Can anyone speculate at what the prices for new haswell cpu's will be like?
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 11:28:32 PM

I would say Haswell CPUs should be about $5 - $10 more than their Ivy Bridge counterparts. I would say just upgrade the card. If the performance boost is not enough, then that's the point where you try to determine if you should upgrade to Ivy Bridge or Haswell.

Personally, I am not a performance whore, so I have been getting by with my Q9450 @ 3.0GHz. If Haswell is released and the performance increase is 10% or less (my belief), then I will likely increase the OC and wait for Broadwell in 2014.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 11:48:36 PM

Keep the 955 for now. It should do fine for most games at least for the next year or so. I would wait till Steamroller/Haswell in early 2014 to decide since Steamroller is supposed to be 30% faster off the bat due to fetch/decode improvement (adding more to remove current bottleneck). Best way to tell if your should upgrade or not is are you getting playable fps? If you are its good. if not, lower some settings (GPU side) and if still not playable or the game looks terrible at the settings, then upgrade. No one can tell you when to upgrade. Only you can decide.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2012 9:18:31 AM

Haswell will be an improvement over the BE performance wise,question is,do you need it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2012 11:16:12 AM

yea i would wait steamroller
m
l
!