Sign in with
Your question

Loud Fan

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2012 7:42:52 PM

Hi everyone. I recently built a my first PC with a friends help. Everything went well with the build and its been about 3 weeks. The CPU fan is quite loud. So I downloaded SpeedFan and simply turned the fan down from 100% to 95%. That worked for a bit but now I have to go down to 90% to stop the loud buzzing noise. No wires are hitting the fan so I don't know what the problem is. Can i fix this or do I need an aftermarket cooler? At 90% the PC runs at a good temp (around 35 degrees celcius) but when gaming it gets up to 50 or 60 degrees celcius, and Id like it to be cooler. At 95% it almost never hit 50 degrees even when gaming.

thanks

More about : loud fan

a c 210 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 8:00:04 PM

What are your full system specs?

Even 90% sounds excessive speeds. Its strange that it would run that fast permanently by default.
Are you sure you plugged the CPU fan into the right mobo pins? It needs to be in CPU_FAN or something similar...
m
l
December 8, 2012 8:10:10 PM

My specs are:
thermaltake V3 Chassis
FX-6300 (stock cooler)
MSI 970A-G46 Mobo
8GB Corsair XMS3 ram
Thermaltake TR2 500watt PSU
ATI Radeon 7770
Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD

100% fan power is about 3800 RPM. 90% takes it down to 3500 RPM. So in that range it starts buzzing. My friend who helped me build says its the fan and to get a new one, which isn't a problem, I just want to know if there are any other solutions.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 8, 2012 8:10:54 PM

Also, I checked and the fan is plugged into the pin marked "CPUFAN"
m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 8:13:32 PM

OK AMD stock coolers are pretty load and annoying. You could drop the fan to 80%, the temps are fine until 80C. But if that makes you nervous, get a cooler.

Coolermaster hyper 212 Evo is pretty good and very cheap..
m
l
December 8, 2012 8:16:00 PM

Ok thanks. I'm going to look at aftermarket coolers and buy one soon most likely. Thanks for the suggestion I will look into that. Also, its not the temp that makes me nervous, its the dramatic change between gaming and everything else. And the buzzing makes me more nervous than the temprature....
m
l
a c 210 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 8:25:31 PM

Foo_Fighter32 said:
Ok thanks. I'm going to look at aftermarket coolers and buy one soon most likely. Thanks for the suggestion I will look into that. Also, its not the temp that makes me nervous, its the dramatic change between gaming and everything else. And the buzzing makes me more nervous than the temprature....

The dramatic changes are very normal, remember modern CPU under-volted when they are not under load. Less voltage mean very lower temps... Besides FX runs hot.

i would suggest getting as good a cooler as you can afford and overclocking your CPU, FX OCs like a beast and get huge gains from an OC.
m
l
!