How to add icons for commonly used folders in explorer?

April 20, 2005 4:27:36 PM

I want to add links to commonly used folders as a toolbar icon in
Windows Explorer. They should open in the existing Explorer window.

how do i do this?

i prefer a native solution (not an add-on) but i can't even find add-on
utilities to do this.

any help appreciated...

have a great day!
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:23:28 PM

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but are you familiar with the
Links Toolbar? You can invoke it in any Explorer window. It appears in the
toolbar of the Explorer window. You can then drag icons to it.
Configuring the Links toolbar in one Explorer window appears to put it on
all your Explorer windows. You will need to make sure that your Folder
Option settings allow a new window to open within the existing window.

"Casemon" <casemon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to add links to commonly used folders as a toolbar icon in
> Windows Explorer. They should open in the existing Explorer window.
>
> how do i do this?
>
> i prefer a native solution (not an add-on) but i can't even find add-on
> utilities to do this.
>
> any help appreciated...
>
> have a great day!

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 10:42:30 PM

"Casemon" <casemon@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to add links to commonly used folders as a toolbar icon in
> Windows Explorer. They should open in the existing Explorer window.
>
> how do i do this?
>
> i prefer a native solution (not an add-on) but i can't even find
> add-on
> utilities to do this.
>
> any help appreciated...
>
> have a great day!

Creating Custom Explorer Bars, Tool Bands, and Desk Bands
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

--
William
April 20, 2005 11:28:50 PM

Are there any solutions for us non-programmer types?

Myself, have tried putting Directory Shortcuts in the Links folder and
enabling the Links toolbar, but that opens the directory in a new
window, which is less desirable.

any other options aside from Williams pointer to MSDN?
April 26, 2005 7:49:59 AM

Thoughts to consider: Modify as needed via notepad.

Add Windows Explorer to the Right Click (Line 170)

Add a Folder to the Start Button - Right Click (Line 124)

Add a Folder to My Computer and Desktop (Line 130)

Add a Folder Under the Run Command (Line 180)

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com