How to add icons for commonly used folders in explorer?

I want to add links to commonly used folders as a toolbar icon in
Windows Explorer. They should open in the existing Explorer window.

how do i do this?

i prefer a native solution (not an add-on) but i can't even find add-on
utilities to do this.

any help appreciated...

have a great day!
4 answers Last reply
More about icons commonly folders explorer

    Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but are you familiar with the
    Links Toolbar? You can invoke it in any Explorer window. It appears in the
    toolbar of the Explorer window. You can then drag icons to it.
    Configuring the Links toolbar in one Explorer window appears to put it on
    all your Explorer windows. You will need to make sure that your Folder
    Option settings allow a new window to open within the existing window.

    "Casemon" <casemon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I want to add links to commonly used folders as a toolbar icon in
    > Windows Explorer. They should open in the existing Explorer window.
    >
    > how do i do this?
    >
    > i prefer a native solution (not an add-on) but i can't even find add-on
    > utilities to do this.
    >
    > any help appreciated...
    >
    > have a great day!

    "Casemon" <casemon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I want to add links to commonly used folders as a toolbar icon in
    > Windows Explorer. They should open in the existing Explorer window.
    >
    > how do i do this?
    >
    > i prefer a native solution (not an add-on) but i can't even find
    > add-on
    > utilities to do this.
    >
    > any help appreciated...
    >
    > have a great day!

    Creating Custom Explorer Bars, Tool Bands, and Desk Bands
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/Shell/programmersguide/shell_adv/bands.asp

    --
    William

    Are there any solutions for us non-programmer types?

    Myself, have tried putting Directory Shortcuts in the Links folder and
    enabling the Links toolbar, but that opens the directory in a new
    window, which is less desirable.

    any other options aside from Williams pointer to MSDN?

    Thoughts to consider: Modify as needed via notepad.

    Add Windows Explorer to the Right Click (Line 170)

    Add a Folder to the Start Button - Right Click (Line 124)

    Add a Folder to My Computer and Desktop (Line 130)

    Add a Folder Under the Run Command (Line 180)

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Casemon" <casemon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I want to add links to commonly used folders as a toolbar icon in
    > Windows Explorer. They should open in the existing Explorer window.
    >
    > how do i do this?
    >
    > i prefer a native solution (not an add-on) but i can't even find add-on
    > utilities to do this.
    >
    > any help appreciated...
    >
    > have a great day!

Configuration Explorer Customization Windows XP