Asus p5b-vm geforce 8800gts 320mb compatibility

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Geforce
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2012 12:17:04 PM

Using P5B-VM motherboard with dual processor CPU and NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB graphics card and XP operating system, the computer is not stable. Get regular blue screen errors citing hardware driver incompatibilities and other random blue screen errors.
Have tried rebuilding operating system but system is even more unstable during the re-build.
Thoughts are to:
- remove graphics card until XP operating system rebuild is completed then install and update graphics card drivers
- look at upgrading to Windows 7 - perhaps it is time to upgrade - (motherboard and CPU are 64 bit compatible according to Windows site)
- not use graphics card at all and rely on on-board graphics as graphics card is a hand-me-down
Any thoughts - idea is to minimise costs....

More about : asus p5b geforce 8800gts 320mb compatibility

a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 1:02:00 PM

When you run without the 8800, do you still have problems? There shouldn't be any compatibility problems, but there might be a problem with the card itself.

What is your intended use for the system? Would onboard graphics be sufficient if you need to run without the 8800?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 1:13:15 PM

pelican_rulz said:
Using P5B-VM motherboard with dual processor CPU and NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB graphics card and XP operating system, the computer is not stable. Get regular blue screen errors citing hardware driver incompatibilities and other random blue screen errors.
Have tried rebuilding operating system but system is even more unstable during the re-build.
Thoughts are to:
- remove graphics card until XP operating system rebuild is completed then install and update graphics card drivers
- look at upgrading to Windows 7 - perhaps it is time to upgrade - (motherboard and CPU are 64 bit compatible according to Windows site)
- not use graphics card at all and rely on on-board graphics as graphics card is a hand-me-down
Any thoughts - idea is to minimise costs....

It was probably handed down to you probably because it was problematic. But it is not hopeless. It is possible that it is just overheating. Is there possibility of getting the temperature of the 8800 GTS? I mean is there period of stability where you can use it & run say HWMonitor to see the temperature?
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
m
l
Related resources
a c 1429 U Graphics card
a c 1184 V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 1:57:27 PM

The power supply my be struggling with the card as well if it is to small.
m
l
June 7, 2012 12:22:10 PM

OK thanks muchly for questions and handy advice.

Re power supply - its an AC BEL - 550W p/n API4PC24 (see data sheet: http://www.datasheetarchive.com/API4PC24/Datasheet-03/D... or http://www.acbel.com/ProductFile/Singleipowergold-550W%...)

According to placard on power supply the max current at 12V is for supply #1 is 12A, supply #2 is 22A and supply #3 is 14A. I found some data on the GPU that indicated that the PCI voltage current draw was 5.6A. So the power supply should be OK - though I'm not sure which 12V power supply is used by the PCI-E 6 pin power connector. The only other peripheral devices connected are two SATA drives and DVD-RW drive.

I didn't monitor the temperature of the GPU but did monitor the temperatures of the motherboard and CPU - even after running for a few hours the temperatures were still within the default allowable ranges. But as suggested will check this too.

I do have two 8800 GTS GPUs and have tried both with the same overall result.

As suggested I will remove the GPU until I can rebuild the Operating System and try to re-install a GPU when the base system is stable. It will take a couple of days due to other commitments and will post an update then. When I re-install the GPU I will add the hardware monitor software to keep an eye on possible symptoms if the instability re-occurs.

I would like to update the Operating System from XP. Any thoughts on whether 32bit or 64 bit operating systems would be best. Windows website indicates that the P5B-VM motherboard is compatible with either operating system.

Thanks again for your help. Cheers
m
l
!