Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade help

Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2012 9:13:56 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU to one that I can play high end games on, at the moment I have a crappy Pentium.

My socket is a 775 and the whole list of specs at shipping for my computer are here:http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

What's the best I could put into this?

More about : cpu upgrade

a c 202 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 9:21:18 PM

Define high end? Do you have a graphics card or are you still on onboard GMA graphics?

Upgrading your CPU won't give you much if you don't have a discreet graphics card.
You will also need to upgrade your power supply...
What is your total budget?

a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 9:21:54 PM

According to the site, it says you can put a Core 2 Quad in there. Get one you can afford thats Yorkfield based and you can put that in! I'd also put in a new GPU, maybe a 660ti?
Related resources
December 8, 2012 9:25:20 PM

Thanks, I'm also upgrading my GPU and I don't really have a budget, I'm just interested in what's avaliable to me of if I'll have to just go and buy a better PC
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 9:29:13 PM

Core 2 Quad is good, but if you have cash I think you'd be better off building a new system from scratch - no restraints.
a c 202 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 9:32:42 PM

You won't HAVE to buy a new PC, but if you have the cash, it would be money much better spent, core2quads would not be worth the cost they are due to rarity...

You would also not see that much of an improvement in CPU intensive games like BF3 multi-player and Skyrim by getting a Core2Qaud...

My suggestion : Figure out if you want to upgrade on your current system or buy a new one, then figure out how much you are willing to spend.

Then we can help you... Just answer this : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgra...

It would make it A LOT easier and quicker...
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 9:46:05 PM

Its easy to find Core 2 Quads on eBay just like Phenom II X6 1090ts and 1100ts - just pricey.
a c 202 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 9:49:10 PM

payturr said:
Its easy to find Core 2 Quads on eBay just like Phenom II X6 1090ts and 1100ts - just pricey.

And how much can you get them for?
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 10:01:13 PM

Novuake said:
And how much can you get them for?

Reasonable prices actually - some are 80$, some are around 120$, and then brand new for like 220$
a c 202 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 10:15:11 PM

payturr said:
Reasonable prices actually - some are 80$, some are around 120$, and then brand new for like 220$

OK so I am not willing to take a chance on a second hand CPU that could have been OCd beyond its capabilities. So you think 220$ is worth it for a small bump in performance???
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 10:21:05 PM

Novuake said:
OK so I am not willing to take a chance on a second hand CPU that could have been OCd beyond its capabilities. So you think 220$ is worth it for a small bump in performance???

A Core 2 Quad is a big improvement are you kidding?! Besides, second hand smecken band. A processor is a processor, if it works it works.
a c 202 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 10:27:19 PM

payturr said:
A Core 2 Quad is a big improvement are you kidding?! Besides, second hand smecken band. A processor is a processor, if it works it works.

lol how little you know...

A core to quad would give only a little improvement in gaming. Not much, you need faster PER CORE performance for a significant improvement. Adding two cores won't improve it that much, certainly not worth 220$...

I have bought a second hand processor that died on me after a 5% OC, temps ramped up to 108C and it never worked again. Took the motherboard with it too. I later found out the friend i bought it from had OCd it on stock cooling. i was not happy...
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 10:33:43 PM

Well not everyone overclocks, so necessarily, that may not be the issue. It depends, you could probably message the guy for information on the CPU's background. On top of that, I know how cores effect gaming, that has nothing to do with that - the CPU generally performs better because it has more transistors and a higher clockspeed than his Pentium.
I'm just telling him what he could get is all, don't insult my intelligence, I've been with computers for many years.
a c 202 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 10:39:00 PM

payturr said:
Well not everyone overclocks, so necessarily, that may not be the issue. It depends, you could probably message the guy for information on the CPU's background. On top of that, I know how cores effect gaming, that has nothing to do with that - the CPU generally performs better because it has more transistors and a higher clockspeed than his Pentium.
I'm just telling him what he could get is all, don't insult my intelligence, I've been with computers for many years.

My point is upgrading the CPU for 220$ is not worth it, he would need to get a graphics card too and a new PSU... So all he is left with is the mobo... And they are so cheap he may as well get a new one for IB and he would see HUGE gains above any 775 Socket. Even a cheaper i3 would be better than a C2Q...
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 10:41:03 PM

Again, some are at 80$, depends what he wants, and I was just listing an option - he wanted to know what he could do with that machine, I gave an option, although I said he might as well build a new one from scratch
!