Solved

Motherboard and CPU cooler

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 27, 2012 3:47:04 AM

This is my first post so please forgive any vagueness. I will try to be as specific as possible.

I'm building a new, predominately, gaming system. No video editing or anything like that. It will be my primary computer for everything other than gaming, as well. I will use parts from my extensively upgraded current build to make this happen.

current parts to be used:

Case - Corsair 650D Mid-tower

PSU - Corsair AX1200 (total overkill, I know, but it was a great deal at the time)

GPU - eVGA GTX 460 1GB (possible upgrade to a 670 FTW soon)

SSD - Samsung 830 256GB primary drive

HDD - WD SATA 3 64MB cache 640GB data drive (probably two 320GB platters)

RAM - 16GB (4 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 MHz CAS 8-8-8-24 1.50V

I will likely use an Intel i5 3570k processor unless given very strong arguments otherwise.

The Motherboard I've been eyeballing is the Intel DZ77GA-70K:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-Motherboard-LGA1155...

I want stability and some overclocking headroom with PCI express 3.0 support and multiple SATA 3 and USB 3.0 ports

The CPU coolers I like are:

EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclock-CPU-Cooler-M020-0...

or

Zalman CNPS9500A-LED - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any and all suggestions and alterations are welcome including changes to current parts for enhanced performance. My current budget is no more than $700 to make this happen bearing in mind current parts, but I can save for future improvements after the computer is off the ground.

More about : motherboard cpu cooler

Best solution

July 27, 2012 4:09:22 AM

The 670's a great choice. There's no better value at the high end.
That motherboard's too expensive. You can get similar functionality out of the $140 ASRock Z77 Extreme4.
You could go with the Hyper 212 EVO over the Superclock and save yourself $15. It's plenty good enough.
This doesn't keep you under $700, though. Even if you go to a physical Micro Center store and save yourself $40 on the 3570K (a fantastic deal), you're still at $765. I'm not sure how you were planning to stay under budget with the far more expensive parts you listed.
July 27, 2012 4:45:53 AM

Thank you for the quick reply.

The 670 wasn't necessarily part of the budget but a future plan after I've the computer running and worked out any issues. Just the CPU, motherboard and cooler are strictly part of the budget. I was looking for immediate suggestions on the motherboard and cooler mostly and thank you again for those suggestions.

Although, I forgot to mention, I've had a problem with Asus over a laptop I owned and am very reluctant to deal with them or any of their subsidiaries again. I know I may be the exception but I am completely soured on the company and their customer service. After more than a half dozen RMA's and a different refurbished laptop of the same model and some more RMA's it still wasn't reliable.

Do you have any other suggestions as far as the motherboard goes with respects to to the Intel specs removing Asus and ASrock from the picture?
m
l
Related resources
July 30, 2012 5:21:21 PM

Any other thoughts? Kajabla? Anyone? ^
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:26:58 PM

Quote:
to be honest with you...it was really stupid to buy that PSU unless you found it for less than 120$...but anyways, its always good to have more than what you need...

Forget about picking today's parts for future upgrades, depending on when you decide to upgrade the GTX 7xx series should be out or idk...

The Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 is an excellent motherboard (It has a Tom's Hardware Approved medal) and you can buy it for only 115$ in newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The coolers you picked are really good but you could spend about 5 bucks more and get Tuniq Tower120 Extreme (Really good CPU cooler) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... after the mir is only 5$ more than the EVGA superclock.

If you havent bough your case then the Coolermaster HAF XM or NZXT's Phantom 410 would be better choices.

Well, I understand what you mean, when I bought the power supply it wasn't a $120 great deal, but at the time I had dreams of computer grandeur and I had a better cash flow... I'm trying to be a bit more reasonable now. Its a sunk cost, so there is no reason over-examining it now. But, thanks for calling me stupid :cry: 

That Asrock board always comes up... And now that I've looked into it again I'm confused as to whether Asrock is a part of Asus anymore. Are they part of the same company?

I've gotten the message loud and clear that the Intel board is not the one to get. Is it just a value issue? Or is there something inherently wrong with the board, not taking into account the price, that I overlooked? Just curious.

That Tuniq cooler looks pretty cool and it a appears to have good reviews. I'll look into it. Though, I'm sure for that price it has a solid fan in there, but how easy would that be to replace if it burned up sometime down the line? Would I end up bending a bunch of the fins in the process?

And as far as the the case goes the Corsair was in my wish list on Amazon and someone was kind enough to buy for me as an early Birthday present. So no worries there.
m
l
August 3, 2012 1:35:48 PM

Best answer selected by zakattack.
m
l
!