Can't revert back to old graphics cards

Skylerjc

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
So, ive realized I did this wrong.

I have an integrated nvidia gefore 8100 and it's total crap. I was looking for something cheap and small to fit in my tower. I got the gefore gt 430. It was the only one small enough to fit into my computer. When I went to change the primary display to PCI because of my integrated it couldn't find it. I did insert the video card into the slot in my motherboard. I connected the VGA cable to the new graphics card hoping that in some god given way it automatically found the new hardware. However my monitor did nothing, there was no input device connected.

So, I pulled out the graphics card and put the VGA cable back into the integrated slot. Note I did not change anything in the BIOS. However when I went to turn it back on, it wouldn't give me an input signal. Now my monitor works for neither graphics cards.

I have a 300W bestec power supply, and the min req for the new graphics card is a 300W. I've never had power supply problems. My computer lights turn on when I boot it and it sounds as if it's booting. However the display is gone.

First I just want to know how to get my monitor working with my old integrated. Then I start from the basics again. However, I can't do anything till I get my computer working with something....

Wipe the bios via the jumper or if all else pull the cmos clock battery for a few seconds and then boot from the onboard. Get into the bios and change the settings for the video to that it only displays video from the gt430. Disable the onboard graphics as it won't be needed when the gt430 is working.

Go into the BIOS and make sure that the integrated video is selected, even though you said that YOU did not change it. I believe that most will auto detect it and change that setting on its own, but not the othe way around I guess.

OK do you have a old pci graphics card or a local shop that can sell you one? I keep some on hand even though most are ancient but for problems like this they are worth their weight in gold. On second thought I do have a board that has the same issue as yours but haven't made much of an attempt but I"ll give it a few tries and maybe come up with something that maybe you can do on your own.

Skylerjc

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
No I do not. However I do have good news.

After about 6 hours of losing my mind, I turned off my computer unplugged the VGA cable, plugged it back in and started the computer up. It worked.

If I could explain how it happened... I would. The new graphics card also works. If only the miracle decided to come upon me when I woke up an had the day off.....